This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Man... I haven't played Pokemon since Pokemon Red...

#1Kupolicious1216Posted 9/27/2013 6:49:23 AM
Really looking forward to this, is there anything I need to know, what's new?
I suppose the thing I wanna know most is... Is Charmander, Bulbasaur, and Squirtle still an option for starting pokemon? They were boss...
---
I have strong feet!
#2Solarman98Posted 9/27/2013 6:52:59 AM
Well some people are saying you get them in the third town
---
3DS: 3695-0026-6074, GT:Solarman XXIV, PSN: Duststorm87
#3FireSeerPosted 9/27/2013 6:54:32 AM
You get to choose 2 starters; one from the new batch of starters, and then one from charmander, squirtle, or bulbasaur.

There will also be a download event when the game launches to get Torchic, a fire starter from the generation 3 games. So essentially you could play the game with 3 starters.
---
Here comes Frogadier
And you are not swayed either way--more of a neutral presence.
#4Tigo73Posted 9/27/2013 6:55:43 AM
Oh man, do you have a LOT to catch up on. The mechanics and general gameplay have evolved a LOT,(and I do mean a LOT) since then. The best I can do for you is point you in the right direction so you can do research for yourself.

http://www.serebii.net/games/mechanics.shtml

You want to read, at least about natures, abilities, and the XY type chart...and I guess the physical-special split. Everythting else is not immediately pressing to know about, at least for in-game.

Also, this game will have 700+ Pokemon, so...have fun with that.

And you´re in luck. Every game has a different set of starters. This game will have Chespin, Fennekin and Froakie, the Kalos starters. However, after getting your first gym badge, you meet thu game´s professor, and you get to pick a second starter (first time we´re able to pick 2 starters), between Bulby, Charmander and Squirtle.
---
The man who will steal your candles.
Official Omoikane of the SMT IV board.
#5Kupolicious1216(Topic Creator)Posted 9/27/2013 6:56:50 AM
Good deal, I like the sound of that. I also recall in Pokemon Yellow, Pikachu follows you around (Last question, I swear... Well, in this topic that is.), can you choose which pokemon you want following you around in this one?
---
I have strong feet!
#6Tigo73Posted 9/27/2013 6:57:40 AM
Kupolicious1216 posted...
Good deal, I like the sound of that. I also recall in Pokemon Yellow, Pikachu follows you around (Last question, I swear... Well, in this topic that is.), can you choose which pokemon you want following you around in this one?

Pokemon do not follow you around in this game. Only Yellow and Heartgold/Soulsilver have that mechanic.
---
The man who will steal your candles.
Official Omoikane of the SMT IV board.
#7Kupolicious1216(Topic Creator)Posted 9/27/2013 6:58:42 AM
Tigo73 posted...
Oh man, do you have a LOT to catch up on. The mechanics and general gameplay have evolved a LOT,(and I do mean a LOT) since then. The best I can do for you is point you in the right direction so you can do research for yourself.

http://www.serebii.net/games/mechanics.shtml

You want to read, at least about natures, abilities, and the XY type chart...and I guess the physical-special split. Everythting else is not immediately pressing to know about, at least for in-game.

Also, this game will have 700+ Pokemon, so...have fun with that.

And you´re in luck. Every game has a different set of starters. This game will have Chespin, Fennekin and Froakie, the Kalos starters. However, after getting your first gym badge, you meet thu game´s professor, and you get to pick a second starter (first time we´re able to pick 2 starters), between Bulby, Charmander and Squirtle.
W-Wow!... 700+...
Alright, that should be enough information then, I'll go ahead and go through the link above now. Thanks a bunch for the quick answers, everyone!
---
I have strong feet!
#8The_DragonwPosted 9/27/2013 6:58:52 AM
Kupolicious1216 posted...

I don't think we get Pokemon following us any more. They could in Heart Gold though, I think.
---
White Friend Code: 1764 2206 9014
The official Shadow Lugia of the Pokemon X/Y boards
#9lavos24551hPosted 9/27/2013 7:03:59 AM
you got alot to catch up on

but im sure youll pick most of it up fairly quick

another thing of note is that we now can grow Berries, tho i cant say if X/Y will do it the traditional way from the Gen 3/4 games where you plant berries then they grow in time to make more berries

also, the total list of all pokemon attacks has vastly expanded even up to gen 3, so youll see so much new attacks it might boggle your mind for a while

Gen 2 had new attacks, so did Gen 3, 4, 5 and now 6

so expect to see alot of moves your not at all familiar with

but as others have said, familiarize yourself with the type-charts and abilities/natures/etc, their probly the most urgent thing to learn everything else can be learned in due time
---
PSN ID: Lavos2009 - Metroid Prime Hunters FC: 1765 51154 9720
#10AankheinPosted 9/27/2013 7:14:36 AM
Just play gold and silver and forget the rest

they all suck after gold and silver
---
Aankhein-e-Tajdar