This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

It's so sad some of YOU people still won't believe Chespin will be Grass/Dark

#51tsunamisurfer08Posted 9/27/2013 8:38:36 PM
jayman7 posted...
Furryyiffer posted...
Um.....are you angry or something?

I didn't realize that mocking sarcasm indicated anger, but two different people now have come to that conclusion. >_>

Though I will admit I'm sick of that old "Dark immune to Psychic ruins everything" yarn.

tsunamisurfer08 posted...
Past the second gym the damned triangle shouldn't matter to begin with. It's only there as an intro to weakness/resistance and you have 5 other slots on your team.

Yet they keep doing it. Even Mega Charizard maintains his weakness to Water and his super-effectiveness against Venusaur, who loses his Fire weakness with Thick Fat but remains weak as ever to Flying - if he'd been retyped as so many thought he would be, that triangle would have been ruined. But they kept it! In Mega Evolution!

So whatever your opinion of the starter triangle may be, GameFreak appears to be keeping it alive.

And besides. Leaks. They happened. They've been right about nearly everything. You'd be delusional to write them off.

Empoleon-Torterra. Where's your triangle now? Torterra resists neither one of Empoleon's types. Torterra does get Earthquake, but hell what doesn't? Empoleon lost its weakness to grass and resistance to fire.
---
Everything I have ever learned about life can be summed up in three words: It goes on.
-Robert Frost
#52MeepleLardiclePosted 9/27/2013 8:49:18 PM
Two of those were TMs last game and Ninetales could get Extrasensory as well. (Not to mention the plethora of Pokemon that can learn Psychic that aren't actually Psychic. Magmar and Snorlax come to mind.)

Individual Attacks? Sure, there are a number of Pokemon who learn those.

But learning all three of those attacks?

Let's look at Psyshock for starters:
Going off of lines because makes the list easier to read:

Drowzee, Exegguttor, Spoink, Gothia and Solosis learn it via level. All of them are Psychic types.

Using the TM, only the following are Not Psychic Types:
Clefairy
Ninetails
Psyduck
Porygon
Togepi
Stantler
*Arceus
Audino

*Listed for completion purposes only, he can be a Non-Psychic type, wanted to avoid technicalities.

Got all that? Good. Now consider that just about every Psychic type barring odd stuff like Unown can learn Psyshock.

Now, let's see how many of those Pokemon can learn Psybeam:

Psyduck
Porygon

That's literally it. Only 2 Non-Psychic types can learn both moves, and in Psyduck's case, it's only via breeding. Also Psyduck is a Pokemon that feels like they intended on making it a Psychic type (or at least Golduck), messed up, and have decided to never change Pokemon typings in later generations unless they were introducing a new typing.

So with all that said, I think them showing off Psychic, Psybeam AND Psyshock on Fennekin/Braixen is kind of telling of the intention to go Psychic type with it. This is not the same sa learning one or two moves, it's learning all 3 moves, and cross referencing 2 of those moves gives us literally 2 Pokemon who are not Psychic typing.

This is not like Rollout where a huge number of Non-Rock type Pokemon learn it. Or Bounce where it's learned by a lot of Non-Flying types.

In fact, looking at Bounce, here's the list of Flynig types who learn it:
Hoppip
Mantine
Gyarados
Delibird
Archen

Now let's see how many Water types learn Bounce, which again, is a Flying move:
Politoed
Mantine
Wailmer
Finneon
Horsea
Goldeen
Magikarp (I did mention Gyarados above to be fair)
Chinchou
Marill
Qwillfish
Remoraid
Carvahna
Barboach
Gorebyss
Huntail
Relicanth
Manaphy
Phione (if you want to count it as separate)
Tympole
Basculin
Alomomola
Keldeo

So over 20 water types learn Bounce, a Flying move, when only 5 Flying types elarn it.

Meanwhile, Psychock is learned by 8 Non-Psychic types total (including Arceus), while most Psychic types CAN learn Psyshock in some manner.

...do you see why these two moves are not comparable at all for being an indicator of typing? I can do the same with Rollout if you want!
---
www.rpgdl.com
The site Meeple argues at for too much of his life!
#53MagikarpRulesPosted 9/27/2013 8:55:32 PM
jayman, I understand that you use the leak as a basis for believing in the starters' evos types. That much makes sense, because the leak has been almost entirely correct.

However, we only know said types because WPM posted the leak in his site.

So the secondary triangle (the reversed one) is only relevant because we got word that Dark/Psychic/Fighting would be the secondary types GF would be going for. If we didn't already know about it, can you really tell me that you could write out other possibilities for both Chespin and Froakie? Fennekin is a dead giveaway with the Psychic type moves it gets anyway.
#54MeepleLardiclePosted 9/27/2013 9:03:20 PM
Frankly, at this point, I think its safe to assume it's either Water/Fighting and Grass/Dark or Water/Dark and Grass/Fighting. Pokebeach rumor stated both at one point, its a question of he was right the first time and was sort of peer pressured into second guessing himself, or if he made a legitimate mistake the first time and indeed was properly correcting himself.

Fire/Psychic is a no-brainer at least. Both versions of the leak involved that, and everything about Fennekin thus far supports it. Yes, there are those "Fire/Fairy!" claims running around but I think that's people going off one speculative theory by Game Xplain and people really wanting some form of Reverse Triangle that puts Chespin as Grass/Steel because they're convinced he's that due to the Knight theme.
---
www.rpgdl.com
The site Meeple argues at for too much of his life!
#55PikaleyPosted 9/27/2013 9:14:45 PM
i still think chespin will be grass/fighting because going by the rpg theme chespin is off a warrior/paladin and i dont think dark fits either of those, and froakie is gonna be based on a rogue which could be dark or fighting, i honestly think dark fits better but since imo dark isnt an option for chespin hell get fighting and leave froakie with dark

thats the way i see it anyway, idc either way although slightly hoping for water/dark for my froakie lol
---
3ds fc - 4983-5114-5815, Name: Brad
Official Pikachu and MegaPikachu of the Pokemon X Board
#56ecylisPosted 9/27/2013 9:15:49 PM
Only SPINACKERS think he'll be Grass/Dark
#57LexifoxPosted 9/27/2013 9:16:02 PM
Pikaley posted...
i still think chespin will be grass/fighting because going by the rpg theme chespin is off a warrior/paladin and i dont think dark fits either of those, and froakie is gonna be based on a rogue which could be dark or fighting, i honestly think dark fits better but since imo dark isnt an option for chespin hell get fighting and leave froakie with dark

thats the way i see it anyway, idc either way although slightly hoping for water/dark for my froakie lol

The "paladin" thing only exists in the English naming. There are dark knights (the "black knight" is a common archetype), and there are dark/fallen paladins, regardless.
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod
#58PikaleyPosted 9/27/2013 9:17:54 PM
Lexifox posted...
Pikaley posted...

The "paladin" thing only exists in the English naming. There are dark knights (the "black knight" is a common archetype), and there are dark/fallen paladins, regardless.

im thinkin dark still fits the rogue type as far as dirty fighting goes then even a dark knight or something
---
3ds fc - 4983-5114-5815, Name: Brad
Official Pikachu and MegaPikachu of the Pokemon X Board
#59tsunamisurfer08Posted 9/27/2013 9:22:51 PM
MeepleLardicle posted...
Two of those were TMs last game and Ninetales could get Extrasensory as well. (Not to mention the plethora of Pokemon that can learn Psychic that aren't actually Psychic. Magmar and Snorlax come to mind.)

-snip-

So what exactly makes this a case unlike Psyduck? And can we say for certainty that those three moves are gained via level up?

Also, you seem to want to pick out those three moves as having some sort of significance. Psybeam in particular. But what about other Psychic moves?

Ninetales can also learn Dream Eater, Extrasensory, Hypnosis, and Imprison(ignoring Zen Headbutt because a lot of Pokemon can get it). That's 5 Psychic moves! Wow! Oh wait, Ninetales is pure fire.

Well, maybe there's Audino (Psyshock, Psychic, Dream Eater) no he gets three as well.

Oh! What about Golduck? Confusion, Psychic, Psyshock, Psybeam(Wow! The same three moves as Fennekin!), Hypnosis. But he's not psychic either...

There's always Clefable. (Psyshock, Psychic, Stored Power, Dream Eater) Hmm...4 moves and not a psychic type either.

Porygon? (Psychic, Psyshock, Psybeam) Oh wow, the same three moves again! I bet he's Psychic. Oh wait! No.

Well there's Togekiss as well. There's no way it learns that may psychic attacks. (Psyshock, Psychic, Extrasensory, Stored Power) Wow, him too? He's not psychic either huh? Hmm.
---
Everything I have ever learned about life can be summed up in three words: It goes on.
-Robert Frost
#60CyberWrist101Posted 9/27/2013 9:34:20 PM
tsunamisurfer08 posted...
MeepleLardicle posted...

-snip-

-snip-

You're nitpicking. He's made a perfectly viable conclusion with well cited support.
---
Gamertag: SquirtleMan649