This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I really hope they nerf Stealth Rock in XY >_>

#51SoraOwnsOctopus(Topic Creator)Posted 9/29/2013 5:28:34 AM
Pokeballs deep.
---
F*** b****es
Get money
#52MeepleLardiclePosted 9/29/2013 5:44:44 AM
Ignoring Charizard, Stealth Rock is a problem because they chose the exact wrong way to handle an Anti-Flier spikes.

Look at just what Stealth Rock hits weakness on:

Flying: ok, intended, so I'll give this a pass.
Fire: Weak to 3 of the most common attack types, it did not need one of those weaknesses exploited further
Bug: Not a typing that needed any defensive nerf (more insulting? They made a tanky Bug/Flying type in Vespiquen the same gen they made Stealth Rock.)
Ice: One of the worst Defensive typings in around.

Now remember there are a large number of Pokemon, good or bad, that dual-type with those, leading to a lot of W4s that take 50% damage.

Meanwhile, among the things that resist it are Steel, one of the defensive typings that did NOT need any boost.

the only thing it did right was Anti-Flier. It failed miserably to be handled properly though. Spikes could be immuned by Fliers and Levitaters at least, Stealth Rock is only immunable by very specific abilities. Furthermore, Spikes takes several turns to set up, so one Rapid Spin is indeed a wrench. Stealth ROck? It's a 1 for 1 trade, and worse yet, Rapid Spin does jack all against a Ghost type (also a problem with spikes, but again, Spikes at least could be immuned, and losing Spikes wrecks things.)

To make matters worse, so many things learn Stealth Rock; every Rock, Steel, Ground and "Fairy" learns Stealth Rock. Spikes was legitimately limited.

Better way to handle Stealth Rock? Should have been an Electric version, like "Static Field" or something.

Still gets the Flying weakness as intended. It also serves a second purpose:
Nerfing Water types.

Water is a bulky typing more so than it has any right too, and the reason Waters run rampant is there's no real easy way to counter them. Two of the things that counter them, Dragon and Grass, are weak to Ice, which just about EVERY Water type is packing, so it kind loses the purpose.

An Electric Type Stealth Rock would help stop the Water Rampage going on.

Furthermore, look at other advantages:
Ground types immune it. Ground isn't a particularly strong defensive type (weak to Water and ice), so being able to swap in with no damage would be a perk.
Furthermore, things like Volt Absorb exist which null it out, so you can add that to the list.

Only Swanna, Gyarados, Pelliper and Mantine have W4s to the attack, so its nowhere near as obnoxious.

It also gives Grass types a boost too, as they can swap in and resist it. Grass as is has a bunch of weaknesses, so they'd welcome the indirect push.

Lastly, Steel doesn't resist Electric, so you aren't buffing Steels defensively at all.

That's the real issue here:
Rock was one of the worst typings they could do. Stealth Rock makes the type chart that much more unbalanced, because Rock doesn't hit any typings that really needed a nerf defensively, and in some cases, makes poor defensive typings even worse (hi Ice!)
---
www.rpgdl.com
The site Meeple argues at for too much of his life!
#53smashman92Posted 9/29/2013 6:12:19 AM(edited)
The reason why I REALLY hate Stealth Rock is because of Charizard.

Here's the full list of last stage Pokemon that ST hits x4:
Butterfree
Scyther
Ledian
Beautifly
Masquerain
Ninjask
Mothim
Vespiquen
Yanmega
Volcarona
Charizard
Moltres
Ho-oh
Articuno
Delibird

Of all of these Pokemon, the only one people really care about is Charizard. You don't hear Volcarona fans going on rants about Stealth Rock even though if might have been Uber this gen if not for Stealth Rock. Heck, Articuno is NU and Moltres in RU, but no one cares because of the power of Charizard
---
Charizard for SSBU
#54CakeOfLiesPosted 9/29/2013 6:17:35 AM
smashman92 posted...
The reason why I REALLY hate Stealth Rock is because of Charizard.

Here's the full list of last stage Pokemon that ST hits x4:
Butterfree
Scyther
Ledian
Beautifly
Masquerain
Ninjask
Mothim
Vespiquen
Yanmega
Volcarona
Charizard
Moltres
Ho-oh
Articuno
Delibird

Of all of these Pokemon, the only one people really care about is Charizard. You don't hear Volcarona fans going on rants about Stealth Rock even though if might have been Uber this gen if not for Stealth Rock. Heck, Articuno is NU and Moltres in RU, but no one cares because of the power of Charizard

This post made me cry.
---
I'm not easily impressed; I'm usually oblivious to whatever's in front of me.
Pokemon White 2 FC: 0992-4144-3423 - THIEF