This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

i dont get the pokebank

#21TranquilSeaPosted 9/28/2013 8:50:23 PM
partytrev posted...
TranquilSea posted...
partytrev posted...
I have a question though, once stored in the online boxes, no one else can take them but me right?

That's right. It's your private storage.

Ok, thanks. So this means all AR obtained in those versions is not legal to send online?

We don't know for sure how the Pokemon Bank separates hacked Pokemon from legitimate Pokemon. We're're only assuming now that anything AR modified that would fail a legality check on something like Pokecheck would not be storable/transferable.
---
you know the closer you get to something
the tougher it is to see it
#22partytrevPosted 9/28/2013 8:54:00 PM
TranquilSea posted...
partytrev posted...
TranquilSea posted...
partytrev posted...
I have a question though, once stored in the online boxes, no one else can take them but me right?

Ok, thanks. So this means all AR obtained in those versions is not legal to send online?

We don't know for sure how the Pokemon Bank separates hacked Pokemon from legitimate Pokemon. We're're only assuming now that anything AR modified that would fail a legality check on something like Pokecheck would not be storable/transferable.

So, cuz I don't really care for competitive, what if I had an AR lv 1 Charmander?
#23TranquilSeaPosted 9/28/2013 8:56:54 PM
partytrev posted...
TranquilSea posted...
partytrev posted...
TranquilSea posted...
partytrev posted...

So, cuz I don't really care for competitive, what if I had an AR lv 1 Charmander?

If you made it using the AR, it probably wouldn't fly. I can give you a legit Charmander if you want one. (I'm not sure if a bred Charmander with a hacked parent would work.)
---
#24SoeroahPosted 9/28/2013 10:38:40 PM
Hejiru posted...
Soul_of_Yveltal posted...
ClassyOldHat posted...
Soeroah posted...
It facilitates mass transfers from B, W, B2 and W2 without time consuming minigames (hopefully), and is thus something great for the series.

Those minigames were to "hide" load times. Seeing how uploading ONE pokemon to the dreamworld could take about 5 minutes in BW, I either expect a LOT of minigames for this transfer, or, at least an hour of nothing but loading screens.

Frankly I'd have preferred minigames and not had a vital feature gutted and sold back to me for a annual subscription.

I would much rather pay $5 a year than play annoying, pointless games just to transfer my pokemon, especially seeing as how cheap it is.

This. Hell, I would've even preferred the loading screen to being forced to play that dumb minigame.

The "re-catching" thing in Gen 3 -> 4 was a cool idea and pretty fun, but the "fling Pokeballs at the sprites!" thing in Gen 4 -> 5 was just lazy and annoying.

Yeah. Honestly, while I'd obviously much prefer faster transfer times than I'm used to, I'd rather be able to do something else during those 5 minutes than having to focus on a mini-game we could do without.

Watch TV, read a book, play another game on another system...more efficient use of time if it were automatic and took a while than if it took a while and attempted to hold your interest by forcing a game.
---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ9Km7WW2aE
Best console war summary ever. TL;DR version at 2:05.
#25AleinAtrydaPosted 9/29/2013 6:54:46 AM
As for speed concerns, the process should be much faster than we are used to. I don't know what Nintendo is sending when you deposit pokemon on GL, but for sure that isn't the pokemon. It takes few minutes to send one pokemon into sleep mode, and I expect they use that time to gather as much usage data from my game as they possibly can. They probably don't send whole pokemon data anyway, just the limited data that is displayed when you look at your pokemon in dream world.

If you want more accurate time it takes for pokemon games to send pokemon to/from nintendo then use GTS times. Including "checking GTS status" messages it takes 24 seconds to store 1 pokemon and 22 seconds to download it back. I expect that most of that time could be avoided in bank, especially when sending/downloading multiple pokemon, and if they improve saving speeds in 3DS version then it might take even faster.

Obviously making sure that people can't duplicate pokemon by reseting game at certain moment will still be slowing down the process.

I don't have 3DS yet, I will have one on Monday or Tuesday, so I can't say if games for 3DS save faster, or if it's still as slow as on DS.

TranquilSea posted...
@AleinAtryda: Cost is a can of worms. The argument that the storage provided doesn't justify the cost is typically countered by the fact that they're offering a service that promises to be stable and reliable, and that other companies that offer storage target a wider audience and rely on premium members. I don't doubt that X and Y will do well digitally, and that Nintendo/GF has the money to cover it in any case, but there's no proof for either side on this specific case, and speculation leads to dead ends.

I haven't seen single promise of it being stable or reliable. At most, looking at their past services I expect it to be less reliable and stable than any service I used as example.

Now, now, they can make paid whatever premium feature they want. They can make poke-facebook paid, additional clothes for characters paid, and pokemon bank paid. They can even make pokeballs paid. It's their game and their business. But I believe that providing bank for free would be good for them. This way they would make people into their slaves. "I have my 3000 pokemon at the bank! I have to buy new game for those poor guys". Everyone would be like that. Now only most hardcore players, which are their slaves anyway, will have that.

Look at steam, it stores your saves in fast, reliable and stable manner. For free. It's not really free though! You buy all those games on steam, so they get more money from you. Giving a feature for free that brings you customers back is not bad thing to do.

Oh, and 3000 pokemon is still not enough. I will have it filled with my current pokemon, not to mention gen 6 pokemon, and they will probably not increase the size in 7th gen. I wouldn't mind paying those 5$ for unlimited online storage of pokemon. What difference does it make for them whenever I store 3MB or 6MB of pokemon? They could have made those 3000 for free and unlimited paid. Right now it's just silly...

Having 2 times more storage than pokemon box or my pokemon ranch is nothing to brag about in 2013. It's 2013 and making you pay 5$ for storing 3MB is not covering service cost, it's forcing you to pay for 3MB of storage, because they many players WILL pay. I'm pretty sure I will, but this is worse than most of DLC...
---
PSN: TheAreinu (BFBC2, BlazBlue, LBP)
White 2 FC: 0047 2018 4094
#26TranquilSeaPosted 9/29/2013 8:52:13 AM
AleinAtryda posted...
I haven't seen single promise of it being stable or reliable. At most, looking at their past services I expect it to be less reliable and stable than any service I used as example.

Now, now, they can make paid whatever premium feature they want. They can make poke-facebook paid, additional clothes for characters paid, and pokemon bank paid. They can even make pokeballs paid. It's their game and their business. But I believe that providing bank for free would be good for them. This way they would make people into their slaves. "I have my 3000 pokemon at the bank! I have to buy new game for those poor guys". Everyone would be like that. Now only most hardcore players, which are their slaves anyway, will have that.

Look at steam, it stores your saves in fast, reliable and stable manner. For free. It's not really free though! You buy all those games on steam, so they get more money from you. Giving a feature for free that brings you customers back is not bad thing to do.

Oh, and 3000 pokemon is still not enough. I will have it filled with my current pokemon, not to mention gen 6 pokemon, and they will probably not increase the size in 7th gen. I wouldn't mind paying those 5$ for unlimited online storage of pokemon. What difference does it make for them whenever I store 3MB or 6MB of pokemon? They could have made those 3000 for free and unlimited paid. Right now it's just silly...

Having 2 times more storage than pokemon box or my pokemon ranch is nothing to brag about in 2013. It's 2013 and making you pay 5$ for storing 3MB is not covering service cost, it's forcing you to pay for 3MB of storage, because they many players WILL pay. I'm pretty sure I will, but this is worse than most of DLC...

Dream World was free and look how stable/reliable it was. If we're expected to pay $5 a year, then it's expected that the service they're offering will be stable and reliable. Any less, and people just wouldn't renew. It not being stated on the site is getting a bit technical.

As for the rest of your argument, I guess you weren't around when the Pokemon Bank was first announced, because I was against it. The only thing that's changed is I'm quiet about it now, because the topics about it have died down. I'm just playing a bit of devil's advocate.
---
#27AleinAtrydaPosted 9/29/2013 9:56:43 AM
Well, I wasn't around, that's true. Maybe it will be all fine and dandy, but I'm afraid some bastard will hack pokebank and delete all pokemon, or they will delete all my pokemon when I'll forget to pay on time, without any prior notice(unless they'll let us leave CC info and then bill us automatically, but then someone will hack them to steal CC info).

I probably will use it during free demo to transfer all my pokemon from previous gens, then I will wait a year or two to see if people will get their data lost. Nintendo doesn't have good online history, so I'm not going to trust them.

And 3MB of data, even for as little as 0,42$ monthly is still just funny.
---
PSN: TheAreinu (BFBC2, BlazBlue, LBP)
White 2 FC: 0047 2018 4094
#28anon_firePosted 9/29/2013 10:00:55 AM
Enferolunos posted...
Read the page. Is it really that hard?

Poké Transporter
When you download Pokémon Bank, you can also download the linked application Poké Transporter! When you insert a Pokémon Black Version, Pokémon White Version, Pokémon Black Version 2, or Pokémon White Version 2 Game Card into a Nintendo 3DS system, you'll be able to use Poké Transporter to transfer Pokémon from these games into their own online Boxes. Then, you can easily transfer those Pokémon into Pokémon X and Pokémon Y using Pokémon Bank!

Poké Transporter is a free downloadable application for the Nintendo 3DS system that will be available along with Pokémon Bank. Note that Poké Transporter cannot return Pokémon to Pokémon Black Version, Pokémon White Version, Pokémon Black Version 2, or Pokémon White Version 2 after they have been stored in an online Box.

Note: You may find yourself unable to use Pokémon Bank or Poké Transporter to deposit any Pokémon created illegally by software unauthorized by The Pokémon Company and Nintendo into your online Boxes, or to move these Pokémon between online Boxes.

It's not that hard to read, yet people seem to ignore it.
#29TranquilSeaPosted 9/29/2013 10:03:38 AM
AleinAtryda posted...
Well, I wasn't around, that's true. Maybe it will be all fine and dandy, but I'm afraid some bastard will hack pokebank and delete all pokemon, or they will delete all my pokemon when I'll forget to pay on time, without any prior notice(unless they'll let us leave CC info and then bill us automatically, but then someone will hack them to steal CC info).

I probably will use it during free demo to transfer all my pokemon from previous gens, then I will wait a year or two to see if people will get their data lost. Nintendo doesn't have good online history, so I'm not going to trust them.

And 3MB of data, even for as little as 0,42$ monthly is still just funny.

I imagine the servers will be doing frequent backups. It doesn't strike me as any less reliable than an MMORPG, and that recent topic I read about someone losing his save file for no apparent reason is a reminder that there's always a slim risk associated with data.
---