This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How do you think competitive play will be changed?

#1mezomi_64Posted 9/29/2013 2:43:33 PM
With the introduction of the fairy type, a few small changes to the type chart, and mega evelutions, the metagame will undergo a change arguably greater than Gen 4.

The new fairy type is very interesting. We will definitely see a fall in the credibility of dragons. Pokemon like Clefable and even Azumarill could see a rise in usage

Even Steel types will not be safe from Generation 6. Now that they are vulnerable to ghost and dark attacks, ghosts will see a rise in usage while the previously stellar defensive typing of Steel/Psychic will not be so stellar anymore.

Finally, there is mega evelutions. Depending on the effectiveness of the boosts, mega pokemon could be forced into Ubers or banned completely. If not, there is a risk that mega pokemon may turn into the next Politoad and Ninetalis.

So, what do you guys think will happen.? Is there any moves, pokemon, mechanics or abilities that you think will effect the metagame?
---
I reek of awsomeness.
#2PentaoPosted 9/29/2013 2:56:08 PM
Fairy types hinge a lot of what kind of Fairy types we end up getting. While I can see Sylveon tanking out some of the special dragons, like Hydreigon and the Lati twins, it looks unremarkable on the physical defense side and speed side, making it undesirable as a switch in against the most common dragons, Dragonite, Salamence and Garchomp, who are all physically (or mixed) orientated.

If we get some seriously strong Fairy types, I can see an increase for need of Steel/Poison moves, but otherwise I think it's a bit iffy.

Mega Evolutions is interesting because you can opt when to use it. Depending on the boost, Garchomp can bluff a scarf set and then mega evolve on a predicted switch for a more powerful attack in the sand. Or someone could have multiple Pokemon that are mega-candidates, leaving their opponent guessing on which Pokemon on their team they have to worry about going mega in the midst of battle.

If the trend of bulky offense continues, then I can see draining moves becoming more important over instant recovery moves like Roost or Recover.

More neutral things to hit steel with makes it easier for Ghost and Dark type Pokemon to smack things around with STAB hits, which is welcome.
---
"Religion keeps pressing B when we try to evolve." - pirategeorge"
[3DS FC: 1934-0673-9848 (Pentao)]
#3mezomi_64(Topic Creator)Posted 9/29/2013 3:20:11 PM
Pentao posted...
Fairy types hinge a lot of what kind of Fairy types we end up getting. While I can see Sylveon tanking out some of the special dragons, like Hydreigon and the Lati twins, it looks unremarkable on the physical defense side and speed side, making it undesirable as a switch in against the most common dragons, Dragonite, Salamence and Garchomp, who are all physically (or mixed) orientated.

If we get some seriously strong Fairy types, I can see an increase for need of Steel/Poison moves, but otherwise I think it's a bit iffy.

Mega Evolutions is interesting because you can opt when to use it. Depending on the boost, Garchomp can bluff a scarf set and then mega evolve on a predicted switch for a more powerful attack in the sand. Or someone could have multiple Pokemon that are mega-candidates, leaving their opponent guessing on which Pokemon on their team they have to worry about going mega in the midst of battle.

If the trend of bulky offense continues, then I can see draining moves becoming more important over instant recovery moves like Roost or Recover.

More neutral things to hit steel with makes it easier for Ghost and Dark type Pokemon to smack things around with STAB hits, which is welcome.

I don't really see Sylevon becoming much of a threat. It's what they have not revealed yet that will change the metagame.

Ubers may be changed the most. With Xerneas around to counter most of the dragons and its lack of common weaknesses with really shake things up. To me, it looks like it may be on the defensive side which will be even worse.

Let's not forget Mewtwo who will be the king of mindgames with two mega forms. You could bluff a special set and then switch to Mega Mewtwo X. You could even switch Mewtwo in on something it would only counter while being Mewtwo X and turn it into Mewtwo Y.
---
I reek of awsomeness.
#4kaonohiokalaPosted 9/29/2013 3:39:17 PM
Steel-types become best type in the game. Fairy second, Water still third.

Poison attacks will still be uncommon outside of STAB moves (Poison Pokemon will see an increase in usage though). Steel-type attacks will be the attacks increasing in usage instead.

Also, due to the Grass- and Electric-type boosts, those types will see an increase in usage.

Kyurem, Kyurem-B, Haxorus, and Hydreigon won't hit OU next gen unless they get mega formes (or a serious movepool boost in Kyurem-B's case).

Scizor, Jirachi, Heatran, Lucario, and Metagross will be highly used in OU (Scizor still #1). Magnezone will be a lot more useful as well.

Sylveon won't hit OU unless there's a serious shortage of Fairy-types in comparison to what most predict.
---
"I am champion of Bellator. I am face of Bellator now. Who want with belt? Come on with cage. I am beat you. -Alexander Shlemenko
#5kaonohiokalaPosted 9/29/2013 7:19:58 PM
Parting Shot will also be a very commonly-used move next gen (based on availability).
---
"I am champion of Bellator. I am face of Bellator now. Who want with belt? Come on with cage. I am beat you. -Alexander Shlemenko
#6SilenceWaters42Posted 9/29/2013 7:33:31 PM
Gengar will be OU for a 6th time. He is here to stay. No longer resisted by steel, strong against fairy, immune to ground, neutral to stealth rocks, diverse move pool, decently high speed.

I'm telling you Gengar is going to be a monster. Think about it. Gengar and Scizor will be staples on the majority of teams.
---
--- I'm going to go stand outside. So if anyone asks, I'm outstanding. ---
#7kaonohiokalaPosted 9/29/2013 7:46:46 PM
With 60/60/70 defenses, I don't think Gengar would be a staple any time soon. Almost anything with higher base speed, a Choice Scarf, or strong priority (like Scizor or MegaLucario's Bullet Punch) can revenge kill it easily and OHKO. Gengar will definitely stay OU, but it's too frail to be found on the "majority" of teams.

Speculation:
On a related note though, I feel that if Azelf gains the Fairy-type, it'll be very high OU. Nasty Plot access with STAB Psychic/Psyshock, Fairy STAB, and Fire Blast would make it incredible... and with higher defenses and base speed than Gengar. A Psychic/Fairy Uxie would be an excellent defensive mon as well (with ability to CM for offense).
---
#8StezeyPosted 9/29/2013 7:52:04 PM
SilenceWaters42 posted...
Gengar will be OU for a 6th time. He is here to stay. No longer resisted by steel, strong against fairy, immune to ground, neutral to stealth rocks, diverse move pool, decently high speed.

I'm telling you Gengar is going to be a monster. Think about it. Gengar and Scizor will be staples on the majority of teams.

that made me happier than ever. gengar is my favorite pokemon and you are right
#9deidara21Posted 9/29/2013 7:53:08 PM
Smogon: "Let the weather wars begin"
---
Boy:Cream?
Girl:No thank you. I take it black, *sips coffee* like my men.
#10scraadinPosted 9/29/2013 7:53:36 PM
Outrage is pretty much going to disappear as a viable move. That's three turns of set-up bait that stuff is now going to be completely immune to.
---
The answer to "Why not?" is always Wobbuffet.