This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why does Hoenn get so much praise on this board?

#31The_Undying_84Posted 9/30/2013 5:02:27 PM
Shackleford_R posted...
For me, personally, age has nothing to do with it. I started with RBY (so nostalgia is out) and I still felt that gen III was one of my favorites due to what it added. Plus, the surfing didn't bother me much. Only caves bother me. Opinions vary.

Well, I meant that the people who started with later gens are more likely to be younger, which is obvious. I wasn't saying age necessarily affects which they like best, just which they played first.
---
PSN: TheUndying84
#32anapple77Posted 9/30/2013 5:07:39 PM
What's wrong with liking Hoenn?
#33Megumi samaPosted 9/30/2013 5:20:36 PM
anapple77 posted...
What's wrong with liking Hoenn?

1. Ruby and Sapphire didn't connect with previous generations and did not have all old generation pokemon, making only 200 of 386 available before Colosseum, XD, Fire Red, Leaf Green, and Emerald.
2. The majority of those 200 were new and they dominated early routes, forcing you to deal with new pokemon instead of your old favorites until you had access to the infamously frustrating cave pokemon Zubat and Geodude just before Gym 2 (and after that, Marill before Gym 3).
3. It got rid of day and night, one of the most popular features of Gold and Silver.
4. Some people didn't care for the pokemon designs taking more ridiculous forms as a result of better graphics to render them, aggravating problem #2.
5. To put Magma and Aqua on equal footing (so to speak) they tried to balance out the number of land and water tiles, resulting in the game becoming all surf, all the time for the last third of the game.

That said, I still think Gen 3 saved the series for me, because it was refreshing with all the new features. Plus I love the designs and think people are crazy for thinking it was "the beginning of the end"
---
We're the only Marvel title that features squirrels. And do you really want a squirrel-free comic? I don't think so. - Dan Slott, on GLA
#34EHeroHaneKuriboPosted 9/30/2013 5:25:00 PM
People don't like Gen 2? Why?
#35Mewtwo_soulPosted 9/30/2013 5:27:08 PM
EHeroHaneKuribo posted...

Even though it did revolutionize Pokemon, and add most of the mainstream mechanics (Items, Breeding/etc.) Most people hate it for how small the region is and a whole slew of other reasons similar to that.
---
Only insecure and ignorant people try to debase someone online based on their username.
#36Dark_ZoroarkPosted 9/30/2013 5:28:06 PM
Gen 4 was the best, anyone who says otherwise is a dumb kid.
---
ATTN: This user is forbidden to post forever, its account will be Banned in 3 days.
http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/user.php?board=1947548
#37Shackleford_RPosted 9/30/2013 5:29:10 PM
I find it rather funny how Team Magma's goal is mostly in line with a majority of people who played the game: Hoenn needs more land and less damn water!
#38Megumi samaPosted 9/30/2013 5:31:00 PM

People loved Gen 2 when it came out. My problems with them are my own for the most part. For the most part the criticism can be summed up as "it wasn't Pokemon 2, it was Pokemon 1.5". Johto is the most linear region, the majority of pokemon found on 90% of the routes in both Kanto and Johto are from Gen 1 (how many people had only new pokemon on their teams in game?), and as a result Kanto was gutted to fit it on the cart (with most of the gym leaders weaker than the Elite 4 you just beat.)
---
We're the only Marvel title that features squirrels. And do you really want a squirrel-free comic? I don't think so. - Dan Slott, on GLA
#39TherianReturnsPosted 9/30/2013 5:32:44 PM
BrightStar7 posted...
HGSS was incredibly disappointing for me cause I expected them to, y'know, fix Johto since they had a much better system to work with. But as usual GF were incredibly lazy and Johto was hardly expanded. Something is very wrong when it still feels so puny compared to Sinnoh even when it was moved onto the same system. FRLG Kanto blows it away too. Ugh.

They put their heart and soul into that game...and people still don't appreciate it. LMAO.
---
I am the only true Pokemon fan. Find me at: http://www.youtube.com/user/AdventOfTherian/about
3DS FC: 1891 1428 1023 - add for Pokemon X/Y
#4017MasterPosted 9/30/2013 5:34:11 PM

Gen I Pokemon were featured more than the Gen II Pokemon.
The underwhelming levels of Gyms/E4 (not making this up, Chuck, Jasmine and Pryce are all five levels within each other).
Very underwhelming postgame (Kanto Leaders were weaker than the E4 that you had to beat to access them, save Blue, and Red, despite his scary looking levels, was actually much easier than those numbers implied; many people easily take him with Pokemon at L 50 or LOWER)

There are other reasons, but those come to me right away.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/17Master