This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Greninja's tongue-scarf isn't the problem, it's his head

#1Doctor_SpankyPosted 9/30/2013 11:18:55 PM
Not a legitimacy thread, just a design critique

Original pic
http://pokebeach.com/news/0913/greninja.jpg

The tongue-scarf is an inspired touch. But the angles on its head come out of nowhere. What are they supposed to be?

The eyes don't stick out past the head like with Froakie/Frogadier anymore, it doesn't even look like it's in these evolution family. Also the change from yellow to white eyes looks bland, especially since the white eyes are right against the white part of its face. Both Froakie and Frogadier have more personality

The light-blue/white color scheme looks dreadful, and abandons the darker blue on Frogadier, which looked better

This fanart makes the head look better, but only because they drew the head wrong
http://31.media.tumblr.com/7a1a93821630bfdd700c81bdbdbc7ada/tumblr_mtwiseCv8Z1rwudczo1_1280.png

Thoughts / opinions / inevitable emotionally-charged arguments?
#2biohazard151Posted 9/30/2013 11:28:56 PM(edited)
Gotta agree with ya here, but stipulate I also find the lack of a bubble anything annoying. The head looks ridiculously sharp and plain, and it lacks almost any recognition of the former evolutionary line, in fact the head doesn't look anything frog like to me, it looks like the top of a fishes head. Id also like to see its mouth given how ugly it looks.

The tongue scarf is interesting, id be more accepting if he had some sort of bubble motif still, be it on the tongue or somewhere else.

The color and its scheme is bland compared to frogadier,and the white eyes against the white lower jaw are make it looks awful.

Honestly looks terrible, terrible now that i sit down and really look. The fab art is very very cool, but as you said, its not truly representative of how it looks in that picture.

Perhaps this is a bad shot/angle and he looks far better in game, but if not...gotta say one of the most disappointing final evos i have ever seen. And this is coming from someone who did want to see a third evo that does look distinct compared to the other two, but not like this...not like this.

*Furthermore, fan art can make almost anything cool anyways, what matters to me is what ill be seeing in game.
---
"What is great in man is that he is a bridge and not an end"
#3Doctor_Spanky(Topic Creator)Posted 9/30/2013 11:57:03 PM
biohazard151 posted...
Honestly looks terrible, terrible now that i sit down and really look.

Yeah I'm starting to think it's fake again, just because I don't think Sugi or the GF team would design something like this
#4omegaslash14Posted 9/30/2013 11:59:21 PM
head's the only thing I don't like
---
3DS FC: 0817-3744-5436 Name: Mugen
Ah yes, swords natures knives.
#5ChibiDeidaraPosted 10/1/2013 12:00:00 AM
Do a Barrel roll !!!
---
Maybe you should worry less about the tides, who've already made up their mind about killing you, and worry more about me, who's still mulling it over -Azula-