This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Creativity and objects.

#1CA0001Posted 10/3/2013 9:11:02 PM(edited)
I am a professional artist who studied animation, this is my opinion as a animator and designer.

Why do people think that animal Pokemon are creative but not objects or food?

In an animator's perspective, it is way more creative to animate and bring to life objects that weren't living in the first place and give it movement, character and personality.

What is so creative or difficult about making an animal a Pokemon? All you do is to change the already existing animal's appearance and colour, give it extra appendages, horns or spikes, in the style of Ken Sugimori.

What actually is creative, is bringing inanimate objects and giving them the attributes of a living being, that is where you actually use brains.

Klefki is one such Pokemon that actually uses a degree of creativity that the layman doesn't have.

It combines an ordinary object, keys, with a concept, kleptomania, giving it a story about why we lose our keys, a complete design process with appearance, concept and narration. And for an animator, he will also have to come up with how this Pokemon that is previously inanimate would move now that it is alive, what mannerisms, what kind of topology and how it interacts with space and other objects and creatures.

You don't just make a dog breathe fire, give a dragon another element to breathe or a bigger rat, those are the actual lazy designs.

The reason why people can't accept inanimate object Pokemon is because they lack the imagination and creativity themselves.
---
FC: 0518 8972 2483 (Black) 0046 9893 2351 (White2)
#2seth_sage12300Posted 10/3/2013 9:10:48 PM
Couldn't have said it better myself.
---
Official member of the Omastar Club.
Official Gen 6 First Route Generic Bird of the Pokemon X/Y boards
#3jneal57Posted 10/3/2013 9:11:29 PM
CA0001 posted...
I am a professional artist who studied animation, this is my opinion as a animator and designer.

Why do people think that animal Pokemon are creative but not objects or food?

In an animator's perspective, it is way more creative to animate and bring to life objects that weren't living in the first place and give it movement, character and personality.

What is so creative or difficult about making an animal a Pokemon? All you do is to change the already existing animal's appearance and colour, give it extra appendages, horns or spikes, in the style of Ken Sugimori.

What actually is creative, is bringing inanimate objects and giving them the attributes of a living being, that is where you actually use brains.

Klefki is one such Pokemon that actually uses a degree of creativity that the layman doesn't have.

It combines an ordinary object, keys, with a concept, kleptomania, giving it a story about why we lose our keys, a complete design process with appearance, concept and narration. And for an animator, he will also have to come up with how this Pokemon that is previously inanimate would move now that it is alive, what mannerisms, what kind of topology and how it interacts with space and other objects and creatures.

You don't just make a dog breathe fire, give a dragon another element to breathe or a bigger rat, those are the actual lazy designs.

The reason why people can't accept inanimate object Pokemon is because they lack the imagination and creativity themselves.

[claps internally]
---
Open world Action Adventure game that focuses on physics and player choice.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1206086702/cornerstone-the-song-of-tyrim
#4DrOchasioPosted 10/3/2013 9:11:58 PM
thank you
---
mega bananasaurus is a thing I wish for daily
#5omegaslash14Posted 10/3/2013 9:13:21 PM
preach
---
3DS FC: 0817-3744-5436 Name: Mugen
Ah yes, swords natures knives.
#6inTaCtfuLPosted 10/3/2013 9:14:03 PM
I'm no artist and I can't even draw a stick figure but i never got all the b****** and moaning about inanimate pokemon. most rpgs have stuff like trash for monsters, clocks, violins and other random crap. why should pokemon be different?
---
i7-3970X Extreme ~ Asus Rampage IV Extreme ~ 32 GB DDR3-2133 ~ 10 TB 7200RPM ~ 500 GB SSD ~ 690 x2 ~ 1200 W PSU Gold ~
#7vital_tundraPosted 10/3/2013 9:14:59 PM
This this this.
---
3DS friend code: 1848-2159-5405 (Richie)
#8returnalPosted 10/3/2013 9:15:18 PM
Great post :]
#9Duskull24Posted 10/3/2013 9:16:04 PM
If only the people on this board were rational...
---
Not changing this sig until Gamefreak brings back the Trick Master. Started 9-19-10
I'm not a hater, I just have a low threshold for stupid.
#10ZamphiasPosted 10/3/2013 9:16:16 PM
Who are you to say people lack creativity because they don't like a particular "theme" of a Pokemon? Ooh big deal, I can make a goddamn sock a Pokemon. It crawls around like a worm and steals socks out of your clothes dryer because it thinks they're its babies. Ooooh am I creative now?

How is "it's and object that magically came to life" any more creative than "it's a turtle that shoots water out its mouth"