This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I'm a bit put off at the idea of paying to transfer Pokemon

#21WrathSairouPosted 10/6/2013 5:33:41 PM
I would be able to find a way to afford $5 a year if I didn't have a source of income. That's typically less than the cost of a "value" meal from a fast food place.
---
I have a bad connection on reality. Every time I log in I lag terribly, and I'm often disconnected.
#22tsunamisurfer08Posted 10/6/2013 5:36:18 PM
ITT: No one has ever had a friend that played Pokemon as well that had no problem helping with transfers.

Anyone buying a second DS for the sole purpose of transferring is an idiot.
---
Everything I have ever learned about life can be summed up in three words: It goes on.
-Robert Frost
#23ClassyOldHatPosted 10/6/2013 6:14:05 PM
Kahrain posted...
So in order to move my old Pokemon from Black/White to X/Y, I have to pay a yearly fee, go online, and there's no free option.

It's upsetting to know that they intentionally left out any kind of local option because they know people will pay.

You came to the wrong board to talk about exploiting people for options that were once free. GameFAQs has collectively decided that Game Freak will not be criticized for this, and they will spam sarcastic "it's only five dollars" and "lol, you're poor" messages at you until you leave.

I remember similar opinions being expressed toward naysayers when Capcom started dipping into DLC. Now that people recognize this junk for what it is in those fandoms, however, it's too late.

The more intelligent will try to argue that these features were never technically free because of link cables and not knowing other people who own the game, never mind that those same arguments could be applied to battle and trading. If Game Freak charged for those, these same defenders would be livid.

Some defend it by saying cloud storage needs to be paid for somehow, but they ignore that people aren't wanting cloud storage, they want a 1 and done transfer. Let people who want storage pay for storage, and let those who want to transfer transfer for free, as their impact on the site would be negligible. Other sites like Dropbox and Google drive THRIVE on systems like this: offer a little storage for free customers, charge enough on the premium accounts offering hundreds of gigs of space to make a profit that covers the miniscule space used by free users, and everybody's happy. With so many people being impressed with the free version, more people start buying full subscriptions than they otherwise would.

The same thing happened with Valve's Team Fortress 2. It was originally a game you purchased for $20, and got the whole deal out of, and it did pretty well. Then the game became free to play, with all items that actually effect gameplay being made available to all players, while paying players could get aesthetics like costumes, weapon re-skins, "strange" weapons that kept track of kills for bragging rights, etc.. And the "Free to play" game made much, much more than it ever had as a "pay to play" game.

They even even had storage "expander"s, and I liked their policies with it so much that I actually bought two of them for...

...Wait for it...

five dollars. Each.

http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Backpack_expander

I spent ten dollars on storage that basically amounted to a few text files, and I had no regrets, because I knew that I was paying for what I really wanted, and wasn't being nickled and dimed because I wanted every item that could effect gameplay.

If Pokemon were doing things like this, I would have no issues. But as it is, it's just frustrating.
#24GolurkcanflyPosted 10/6/2013 6:15:37 PM
tsunamisurfer08 posted...
ITT: No one has ever had a friend that played Pokemon as well that had no problem helping with transfers.

Some people don't have friends.
---
Official Amnesiac Darkrai of the Pokemon X Board
You know why spiders know how to spin webs when they hatch? Because F*** You! That's why.
#25FaultBoyPosted 10/6/2013 6:19:16 PM
tsunamisurfer08 posted...

Once youre in your 30s, finding someone who still plays games becomes more difficult. And if you try going to schools and asking for a trade people will think youre a Child S.T.A.L.K.E.R. (thats what my neighbors think of my brother lol)