This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can someone (very) simply explain evs and ivs for a dumb person like me?

#1mrmariomasterPosted 10/5/2013 9:27:22 AM
It would be very much appreciated.
Thanks!
---
I love Nintendo! Wii u is amazing! I love ONM,
#2LotrMorgothPosted 10/5/2013 9:29:42 AM
this may be wrong but from what i understand both affect the stat points of your pokemon

IVs are inherent, there is little to no control over them but it accounts for slight differences between pokemon of the same species

EVs are a little more environmental in that you gather them from defeating particular opposing pokemon
---
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. -Bilbo
gamertag: smeaGollum4
#3mada7Posted 10/5/2013 9:29:50 AM
IVs are basically pokemon genes they determine the strengths and weaknesses of your pokemon statwise and they are randomly generated for wild pokemon and bred pokemon inherit some of their parents IVs randomly

EVs are points your pokemon gains from fainting or capturing other pokemon that buff one particular stat and at level 100 they translate to +1 in that stat for every 4 EV points in that stat
---
Wall-Mart the place you go when you just got to meat a true moron -Lord of Phendrana
Pokemon Black FC = 3396 8733 5419
#4jedinatPosted 10/5/2013 9:30:57 AM(edited)
EVs are like stat points allocated when levelling in an RPG except they happen automatically depending on what you fight.

IVs are stat points allocated at a pokemon's creation randomly, sort of like rolling a character in classic RPGs.
#5mrmariomaster(Topic Creator)Posted 10/5/2013 9:31:02 AM
So sorry, i dont even get THAT.
Can someone explain it EVEN simpler please?
---
#6GigagreymonPosted 10/5/2013 9:31:20 AM
iv: pokemon from the same species have different stats
ev: defeat certain pokemon = increase certain stat.
#7mrmariomaster(Topic Creator)Posted 10/5/2013 9:31:58 AM
Scrap what i just said, jedinat's really helped.
Thanks!
---
#8ErroneousNickPosted 10/5/2013 9:31:58 AM
EV's (Effort Values) Every time you take down a pokemon, a hidden number is added to your poke based on the best stat of the pokemon you beat. Theres up to a total of 510 of these numbers (Maxx 255 for each stat) For every 4 of these hidden numbers, the stat is increased by 1. This is how pokemon you train are better than pokemon in the wild.

IVs (Individual Values) Randomly generated numbers between 0-31 that each stat will be effected by, that makes it so every pokemon is different.
#9Tigo73Posted 10/5/2013 9:32:07 AM
mrmariomaster posted...
So sorry, i dont even get THAT.
Can someone explain it EVEN simpler please?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1u_37RK-mFA

Watch this video.
---
The man who will steal your candles.
Official Omoikane of the SMT IV board.
#10mrmariomaster(Topic Creator)Posted 10/5/2013 9:32:38 AM
Oh, and thanks very much to erroneousnick.
---