This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Pokemon Adventures VS the Pokemon anime VS Pokemon Origins

#1AnclationPosted 10/5/2013 9:29:46 AM
Which do you prefer? - Results (156 votes)
Pokemon Adventures
48.08% (75 votes)
Pokemon Origins
46.15% (72 votes)
The Pokemon anime
5.77% (9 votes)
This poll is now closed.
The manga, the anime or the mini-series, which one is your favorite? Me, I thought Adventures was the best adaptation. Sure, it had its flaws, but it was still a really fun journey, featured some memorable battles and most importantly, it had a main character who prevailed by being clever and resourceful, rather than just believing extra hard in his Pokemon.

Origins was decent, but too short. It might have been slightly darker than the anime (what with the whole biting incident and Cubone's dead mother), but Team Rocket still didn't feel like any sort of threat, and only one Pokemon ever actually attacks humans. The battles looked beautiful though, and the storyline probably caused quite a few Charizard fanboys to cream their pants.

The anime......well, the music is nice, and I recall Ash VS Misty and Pikachu VS Raichu being decent battles. Beyond that it's bad, really bad, and I remember being annoyed with how bad it was even as a kid. So much filler and stupid BS.
---
We Endorse The Creation of Majora's Mask 3D:
http://www.facebook.com/OperationMoonfall
#2kkhohohoPosted 10/5/2013 9:35:59 AM(edited)
Anclation posted...
a main character

You do know that there's several main characters out there now, right? Each time either a new set (Ex:R&B,) or a new third game, (Ex:Yellow,) is released, a new arc is made, with new characters to go with it, though some of the older characters, (Red included,) stick around as well. And it's still going on today. Also, the more common name for it is 'Pokemon Special.'
#3SlimeStackPosted 10/5/2013 9:35:27 AM
Adventures > Anime > Origins

Adventures wins out for having a great story (and being pretty creative in the earlier gens to make up for the lack of game plot) and great characters. And like you said, they're clever and don't just rely on love and trust.

I don't really know what to say about the anime. It's obviously an 800 episode advertisement for the games, but it's enjoyable and has some fun characters. It has a lot of poorly written filler (name a 16 year long show that doesn't have that), but it has its moments.

Origins is a well-animated blast from the past, but the battles were awful and people are really overrating Red and keep comparing him to the protagonist of a show they clearly haven't watched in 15 years. I don't actually mind the story being abridged too much, I just hate the battles a lot. It makes Red look very bad.
---
Blah.
#4LexifoxPosted 10/5/2013 9:36:19 AM
The anime. Origins was too rushed and boiled down to sending in cannon fodder before Char won everything.

PokeSpec is kind very hit/miss and has some of the most absurd WTF in a Pokemon story.
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod
#5Rook_the_RangerPosted 10/5/2013 9:36:55 AM
Pokemon adventures somewhat out of ignorance. I didn't see origins yet and will wait for the English release.
#6henriuePosted 10/5/2013 9:40:12 AM
Anclation posted...
Adventures was the best adaptation. Sure, it had its flaws, but it was still a really fun journey, featured some memorable battles and most importantly, it had a main character who prevailed by being clever and resourceful, rather than just believing extra hard in his Pokemon.

Origins was decent, but too short. It might have been slightly darker than the anime (what with the whole biting incident and Cubone's dead mother), but Team Rocket still didn't feel like any sort of threat, and only one Pokemon ever actually attacks humans. The battles looked beautiful though.

I agree, and the Manga does have many flaws, but they are overshadowed by the many, many virtues.

In the Manga, we do have highlights like Yellow chapter, Ruby and Sapphire's character development, Gold's togepi, and the Climax of the D/P/Pt arc.

And some bad moves like Rocket Triad and Dia and Pearl's manzai
---
White Nuzlocke: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/2000300-pokemon-emerald-social/67324065
I endorse Permaculture
#7Anclation(Topic Creator)Posted 10/5/2013 9:48:12 AM
kkhohoho posted...
Anclation posted...
a main character

You do know that there's several main characters out there now, right? Each time either a new set (Ex:R&B,) or a new third game, (Ex:Yellow,) is released, a new arc is made, with new characters to go with it, though some of the older characters, (Red included,) stick around as well. And it's still going on today. Also, the more common name for it is 'Pokemon Special.'

I know all that, but even if protagonist might have been the better word to use (and Red certainly gets more panel time than Blue or Green) that hardly undermines the general point I made. Also, while Special might be the name in Japan, in English-speaking territories it goes by Adventures.
---
We Endorse The Creation of Majora's Mask 3D:
http://www.facebook.com/OperationMoonfall
#8360pagesPosted 10/5/2013 10:02:34 AM
Realizes the Anime only has three votes.

Faith in humanity has been restored slightly .

I voted for Adventures, even if things got kind of weird during the RSE arcs and the DP arcs continued the trend of having the female wanting to be the battler and the males having meh goals. (Something like that should be switched every generation) Though the Black and White Saga's are pretty cool, and I think the RBY and GSC are really good as well.
---
Gamefaqs in a nutshell (http://error1355.com/img/gif/gamefaqscant.gif)
#9ShinyToyPaladinPosted 10/5/2013 10:27:43 AM
It was really tough to choose between Special and Origins. But due to the amount of content in Special, I had to give it to the manga.

Origins is great, it's just a little short. That's understandable because it's a movie but I just always wanted more.

Special on the other hand is also great, but there is also a ton of it. I've only read the RBY and GSC arcs though. I hated Gen III so I just stopped reading it when it started.

Anime...eh. I like rewatching some of the older episodes, but this is by far the most "let's dumb it down for children, and make everything about happy friend time" out of the entire Pokemon franchise.
#10ZeroxKnuxPosted 10/5/2013 10:31:06 AM
Origins was bad but not as bad as the anime.