This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Does Gamefreak Like Dark Types? (SPOILERS INSIDE!!!!!)

#21Bogmire216Posted 10/5/2013 4:37:34 PM(edited)
RollerBob posted...
Bogmire216 posted...
RollerBob posted...
Either they don't like it, or they think it would be too broken to have a Dark-type Gym Leader because it is a powerful type.

I don't see how Dark is more powerful than any other type? And we currently have a whopping two (really, more like one since Hydreigon is barely hanging in there) dark type in ou if that says anything about how "powerful" they are.

I honestly think this is just gamefreak's little joke amongst the developers, to never include a dark gym ever just because they can.

Weak against Bug and Fighting:
- Bug doesn't have as many powerhouses as other types.
- Fighting isn't a type that can be easily found in the wild, and again, there aren't many powerful ones either.

Sounds to me that Dark is probably their strongest type yet. Dragon's a joke because not only is it weak to itself, but to Ice, a type that EVERY Water type can learn. Steel has this major weakness to Fire, which is a recurring type.

Bug's too weak and Fighting's too rare. When fighting the Elite Four member with Dark-types, many probably didn't think of weaknesses and just went gung-ho.

Either that... or the series doesn't have enough simple-type Dark Pokémons to justify a Gym Leader using it.

How is fighting rare? There is a boatload of fighting types running around in OU. It's one of the reasons why dark types aren't used that much competitively (U-turn weak is also bad.) It's never been a rare type ingame either so I don't know what you mean by that. Last gen we had throh, sawk, conk, scraggy, all available pretty early ingame.

Also, even though dark only had two weaknesses previously, it only hit ghost and psychic super effective. Two types that aren't the most common. So it's not really that amazing offensively especially when one considers that the strongest dark type moves are only 80 bp (not counting night daze which is still only 85 bp).

Basically, dark is just an average type about as good as electric or flying. Not horrible, but not amazing either.
---
Friend code: 0903-3254-6934
#22Lizuka8002Posted 10/5/2013 4:39:34 PM
RollerBob posted...
Are Dark-types that few and far between? It seems like they always the rarest kind of Pokémons to get, as of now.

There are more of them than there are of Ghost, Dragon, Steel, and Ice, and pre-Gen 6 (not sure how this stands now) it's tied with Electric.
#23kaonohiokalaPosted 10/5/2013 4:40:26 PM
the topic title question and poll question don't even match... in fact they're conflicting
---
"I am champion of Bellator. I am face of Bellator now. Who want with belt? Come on with cage. I am beat you. -Alexander Shlemenko
#24MaetchPosted 10/5/2013 4:45:43 PM(edited)
I think they just like to promote it as a "special" type that only Elites are worthy of using. It's almost the same thing with Dragon-types, in that you can't be anything less than the 8th Gym Leader of the region to use it (unless X/Y changes this) because of how mythical it is.
#25FullAutoCVTPosted 10/5/2013 4:45:28 PM
RollerBob posted...
Bogmire216 posted...
RollerBob posted...
Either they don't like it, or they think it would be too broken to have a Dark-type Gym Leader because it is a powerful type.

I don't see how Dark is more powerful than any other type? And we currently have a whopping two (really, more like one since Hydreigon is barely hanging in there) dark type in ou if that says anything about how "powerful" they are.

I honestly think this is just gamefreak's little joke amongst the developers, to never include a dark gym ever just because they can.

Weak against Bug and Fighting:
- Bug doesn't have as many powerhouses as other types.
- Fighting isn't a type that can be easily found in the wild, and again, there aren't many powerful ones either.

Sounds to me that Dark is probably their strongest type yet. Dragon's a joke because not only is it weak to itself, but to Ice, a type that EVERY Water type can learn. Steel has this major weakness to Fire, which is a recurring type.

Bug's too weak and Fighting's too rare. When fighting the Elite Four member with Dark-types, many probably didn't think of weaknesses and just went gung-ho.

Either that... or the series doesn't have enough simple-type Dark Pokémons to justify a Gym Leader using it.

But the pokemon that are weak to Dark them are even rarer. And if it was about fighting types, then Normal gyms would also be taboo. What's more, Gen 3 and 5 had plenty of weak dark types to build gyms with. I agree that it's just another one of Gamefreak's jokes.

I hope you are joking when you say that dark is the strongest type. Their SE STAB coverage is laughable, and many things resist it. Meanwhile, everything and their mother learns close combat, superpower, or focus blast to threaten OHKOs with. Dark's resistances aren't all that useful either. They lack any moves with BP over 100, and aside from their pseudo legendary representatives, there aren't a whole lot of outstanding stat spreads. Speaking of Tyranitar and Hydreigon, they would probably be better pokemon without the Dark type at all, as the disadvantages far outweigh the advantages.
#26Lizuka8002Posted 10/5/2013 4:52:53 PM
Maetch posted...
I think they just like to promote it as a "special" type that only Elites are worthy of using. It's almost the same thing with Dragon-types, in that you can't be anything less than the 8th Gym Leader of the region to use it (unless X/Y changes this) because of how mythical it is.

X and Y doesn't change it, but the Dragon gym is the seventh one in Black & White 2.
#27MaetchPosted 10/5/2013 5:02:51 PM(edited)
Lizuka8002 posted...
Maetch posted...

X and Y doesn't change it, but the Dragon gym is the seventh one in Black & White 2.

Well, it was 8th in B/W, but the new Leaders and the rerouted path to the Pokemon League probably forced a rearrangement for ease of travel.