This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So is Sylveon the only pokemon that evolves from an earlier generation pokemon?

#1deoxys154Posted 10/5/2013 8:32:04 PM
If so that is kind of disappointing..
#2Ephraim225Posted 10/6/2013 2:26:24 AM(edited)
Why? They didn't have any in Gen 5.

EDIT: Actually wait a minute, there's plenty of evos of earlier generation Pokemon, they're called Megas. Really.
#3GensokyoPosted 10/6/2013 2:26:23 AM(edited)
Seems that way. Kind of a disappointment.
#4Strain42Posted 10/6/2013 2:27:33 AM
I was actually kinda relieved, but also surprised when that happened.

I mean after the starters and the legendaries, we had nothing...then Sylveon...then Mewtwo Y long before we knew about Mega Evolutions...then nothing for a while...

Personally I was a little worried Gen 6 was going to end up kinda like Gen 4

...and I mean...it did, but in a slightly different way.
---
Don't forget to check out my MegaTen themed webcomics at http://www.drunkduck.com/user/Strain42/ (Currently Updating: Persona 4TW Add-On M-F)
5069-5089-2020
#5d_charizardPosted 10/6/2013 2:31:35 AM
It bothers me a little, but not a lot. The two generations they did do this, they overloaded on them and their quality suffered as a result. If it happens again, I want it to happen properly.
#6Wii306Posted 10/6/2013 2:33:04 AM
I imagine Mega Evolutions were intended to satisfy the people hoping for evolutions of past Pokemon.
---
Currently Playing: Tales of Xillia, League of Legends
#7WiiareVenomPosted 10/6/2013 2:35:25 AM
And on that note, I believe we STILL don't know how to get Sylveon<.<
---
Official Zygarde of the Pokemon X/Y boards.
Official leader of the Order of the Jar of Dirt.
#8VergilsGirlPosted 10/6/2013 2:41:07 AM
Ephraim225 posted...

EDIT: Actually wait a minute, there's plenty of evos of earlier generation Pokemon, they're called Megas. Really.

Gen 5 was stated to be a restart Gen, they meant it to have no new evos of old Pokemon.

It does seem kinda strange that only an Eeveelution is added for the old ones, it strikes a sour note. The Megas aren't really evos, though. They're like 'Burst Mode' was in digimon season 5, a powered up 'super saiyan' kind of form that still has the old name. Mega Mawile, for instance, how hard would it have been to incorporate it as a real evo maybe 'Jawsile' or something. Same with the Mega Absol. It really is kinda lazy if you think about it, that they can bother to make alternate forms of these Pokemon but can't be a**ed enough to give them real evos.
---
Pokemon White FC: Oua yin/ 3784-0205-1998
Official head of the Kansas Assassin's branch for the ACIII boards
#9Rayquaza_is_ZPosted 10/6/2013 2:44:24 AM
Gen 3 only had 2. So, that's really only a peg down sorta. Disappointed about the lack of actual evolutions from older Pokemon...but I'll live.
---
http://i.imgur.com/EOXWVm0.jpg Do you wanna be cool?
Join the Reservoir Dragons! Support Draceon
for 2015!
#10Shackleford_RPosted 10/6/2013 2:51:38 AM
VergilsGirl posted...
Ephraim225 posted...

Gen 5 was stated to be a restart Gen, they meant it to have no new evos of old Pokemon.

It does seem kinda strange that only an Eeveelution is added for the old ones, it strikes a sour note. The Megas aren't really evos, though. They're like 'Burst Mode' was in digimon season 5, a powered up 'super saiyan' kind of form that still has the old name. Mega Mawile, for instance, how hard would it have been to incorporate it as a real evo maybe 'Jawsile' or something. Same with the Mega Absol. It really is kinda lazy if you think about it, that they can bother to make alternate forms of these Pokemon but can't be a**ed enough to give them real evos.

Another way to look at it would be to consider megas a compromise between those who want older, sometimes useless, pokemon to get an update, and those who don't want their classic designs ruined.

On the one hand, a classic pokemon gets some new flair and enhanced usability. On the other hand, nobody will cry foul that their favorite classic pokemon has been ruined with a stupid new evo.

The beauty of megas is that they're useful, but if you already have that role filled with a mega you like, you essentially get a free pass to NOT use a mega of a pokemon you like better as a non-mega.

Additionally, none of the mega forms (with the exception of maybe gengar) are that radically different, so one gets the impression that their intention is avoid changing them as drastically as an evolution, but still breathe some life into them. This seems even more likely when you consider that one of the major criteria for a mega candidate is its popularity. That is, to say, it's a pokemon that people already like, so they would likely be upset if they made any huge changes.

Personally, I prefer it this way, as evolving old pokemon was always hit or miss with me. I liked evectrivire, I loved magnezone, but dusknoir? Blech. Ruined Dusclops.