This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So is Sylveon the only pokemon that evolves from an earlier generation pokemon?

#11VergilsGirlPosted 10/6/2013 3:09:27 AM
Shackleford_R posted...
VergilsGirl posted...
Ephraim225 posted...
Why? They didn't have any in Gen 5.

EDIT: Actually wait a minute, there's plenty of evos of earlier generation Pokemon, they're called Megas. Really.

Gen 5 was stated to be a restart Gen, they meant it to have no new evos of old Pokemon.

It does seem kinda strange that only an Eeveelution is added for the old ones, it strikes a sour note. The Megas aren't really evos, though. They're like 'Burst Mode' was in digimon season 5, a powered up 'super saiyan' kind of form that still has the old name. Mega Mawile, for instance, how hard would it have been to incorporate it as a real evo maybe 'Jawsile' or something. Same with the Mega Absol. It really is kinda lazy if you think about it, that they can bother to make alternate forms of these Pokemon but can't be a**ed enough to give them real evos.

Another way to look at it would be to consider megas a compromise between those who want older, sometimes useless, pokemon to get an update, and those who don't want their classic designs ruined.

On the one hand, a classic pokemon gets some new flair and enhanced usability. On the other hand, nobody will cry foul that their favorite classic pokemon has been ruined with a stupid new evo.

The beauty of megas is that they're useful, but if you already have that role filled with a mega you like, you essentially get a free pass to NOT use a mega of a pokemon you like better as a non-mega.

Additionally, none of the mega forms (with the exception of maybe gengar) are that radically different, so one gets the impression that their intention is avoid changing them as drastically as an evolution, but still breathe some life into them. This seems even more likely when you consider that one of the major criteria for a mega candidate is its popularity. That is, to say, it's a pokemon that people already like, so they would likely be upset if they made any huge changes.

Personally, I prefer it this way, as evolving old pokemon was always hit or miss with me. I liked evectrivire, I loved magnezone, but dusknoir? Blech. Ruined Dusclops.

There's some truth in that, but it's a double edged blade. For me, Burst Mode was a stupid thing in Digimon Season 5, and DBZ dragged on enough with the regular fights, the whole Super Saiyan form and the forms after that just made it drag on longer. I like some of the Megas, but honestly, the looks and typing and ability changes are crippled to me by the fact that it's only usable in battle, only once per battle, and it requires an item to trigger it. It's kind of like how Meloetta lost points of being my fave legend in V because her pirouette form requires an attack to activate and doesn't stay active outside of battle. It's a gimmick, and it's one that I feel wasted time and creative effort that could have gone into real evos and more new Pokemon. There isn't much difference in looks between Houdour and Houndoom in some ways, not a drastic evolution like Feebas to Milotic. Making the Megas normal evolutions wouldn't have been that drastic. We have alternate stones to evolve Gloom into Vileplume and Bellosom, and other Pokemon that have alternate evos depending on gender and items that are permanent. A temporary evo is just not that worthwhile to me. Aside from a few uses just to look at the pretties, I'll probably quit using it pretty fast.
---
Pokemon White FC: Oua yin/ 3784-0205-1998
Official head of the Kansas Assassin's branch for the ACIII boards
#12AlphrinPosted 10/6/2013 11:24:50 AM
VergilsGirl posted...
Ephraim225 posted...

EDIT: Actually wait a minute, there's plenty of evos of earlier generation Pokemon, they're called Megas. Really.

Gen 5 was stated to be a restart Gen, they meant it to have no new evos of old Pokemon.

It does seem kinda strange that only an Eeveelution is added for the old ones, it strikes a sour note. The Megas aren't really evos, though. They're like 'Burst Mode' was in digimon season 5, a powered up 'super saiyan' kind of form that still has the old name. Mega Mawile, for instance, how hard would it have been to incorporate it as a real evo maybe 'Jawsile' or something. Same with the Mega Absol. It really is kinda lazy if you think about it, that they can bother to make alternate forms of these Pokemon but can't be a**ed enough to give them real evos.

Regardless of whether or not you like it, how is it lazy? Mega-evolutions require the same amount of effort to create as normal evolutions. It's just the gameplay mechanics that are different.
---
I've decided not to have a signature.
#13Gsus_94Posted 10/6/2013 11:29:02 AM
Alphrin posted...
VergilsGirl posted...
Ephraim225 posted...

Regardless of whether or not you like it, how is it lazy? Mega-evolutions require the same amount of effort to create as normal evolutions. It's just the gameplay mechanics that are different.

^This. They could have easily made the mega evolutions permanent evolutions, but instead they made it a new battle mechanic. And if you think about it, that requires even MORE work than making a permanent evolution.
---
3DS FC: 0473 7779 6792
ACNL: Melo from Besaid
#14Professor_AzurePosted 10/6/2013 11:49:11 PM
WiiareVenom posted...
And on that note, I believe we STILL don't know how to get Sylveon<.<

I heard it's linked to Pokémon-Amie.
And that you have to max out Eevee's affection.
---
"Feel the pain... of these inferior beings!"- Kratos Aurelion
PSN: Oreo_Lightning
#15ReasonisTreasonPosted 10/6/2013 11:56:01 PM
It makes a lot of sense. Mega forms are the new evolutions to old Pokemon now. Yes, it's not exactly the same thing, but it's a lot "cleaner" than having a new evolution hundreds of dex spots away. With the power creep in the series it's needed in a lot of cases, and it wouldn't surprise if the one per team restriction is lifted down the line.

For Sylveon, it wouldn't make sense for it to be a mega evolution.
---
http://i.imgur.com/y1AlPoD.gif
#16Thepenguinking2Posted 10/8/2013 8:35:47 AM
Darn it. I was hoping there was going to be some, and they were as awesome as gen 4's.
---
...BUT ONLY ON TUESDAYS.
Official Shadow Zangoose of the X board and WF!
#17Pale_HeartPosted 10/8/2013 8:48:11 AM(edited)
Alphrin posted...
VergilsGirl posted...
Ephraim225 posted...

To be fair, Mega Absol and Mega Mawile should've been permanent evolution. It was long overdue. But now their evolution is limited to one per battle.

---
3DS Friend Code: 2594-9833-9847
New Leaf: Robin at Reston