This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is it 70 (or 69?) new Pokemon including mega evolution?

#11Gameorama91Posted 10/6/2013 12:13:30 AM
YMKF posted...
It's 69 (or 70) + megas.

B-b-but NO! WE LIEK 2 PLAY WITH NEW POKEMONS IN NEW GEN EVEN THO i aCTUALLY USE nO MORE THAN 10 MAX.

This is outrageous! What a cash grab by gamefreak! 3D models! I don't care about dem graphics! Gimme moar pokemons that are not viable even in-game!!!! Remove the 3D add 50 more pokemons that would make it less of a cash grab!!!!! mirite

Jesus.

Kinda agree. If they weren't trying so many other things, then maybe it would be kinda bad to only have 70 Pokemon. But this game IS trying a lot of new things that they haven't done before. New ways to battle, new ways to customize, new ways to evolve, and even finally moving the entire look to a new generation of 3D models. Making a game like this isn't a simple addition/subtraction game.
---
I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.
#12YMKFPosted 10/6/2013 12:24:54 AM
the_NGW posted...
Mega evolutions are a bad addition. I'd rather have had actual, permanent evolutions added for old Pokemon (seriously, it's really ****ed up to give Pokemon that could actually evolve a new "evolution" that isn't permanent instead of actually letting them evolve) or just more new Pokemon than digivolution.

Everyone has his own opinion I guess. For me I don't see the appeal of adding a lot of pokemons that people don't even use (that's how I play it at least).

Megaevo breathes new life into the older generation pokes. Many of them have fallen out of favor due to slight power creeping and megaevo provide a way to put them back into competition without altering any of their original stats. It also does fanservice to alot of the older players out there with their nostalgia glasses (me included), which is a good way to bring back old players.

They cannot add another evolution to an already existing fully evolved line because it would totally break the pattern and balance of the previously existing pokemons, as many of them are already at an right stats level for a final evolution. Imagine a team with all 4th stage pokemons. The amount of powercreep would be pretty obvious. Megaevo is the longsighted solution to the deadlock of adding more and more pokemons for "variety", which would ultimately lead to an excessive number of pokes.
---
I have no idea what I should put here.
#13SuperSonicDBZPosted 10/6/2013 12:27:17 AM
69 NOT including Mega Pokemon. Since Mega Pokemon don't last after a battle AND don't get a new number in the National Pokedex, they are not considered "new" Pokemon by the fans.

They're more like powerful Formes. Look at Giratina, Shayamin, Deoyxs, etc.
---
Donnel is my # 1 bro. We fist bump, slay some risen, eat some chicken strips, bomb the Valmese and steal sugar from Gaius on a daily basis. Like a Boss. FE:A
#14legendarylemur(Topic Creator)Posted 10/6/2013 12:30:54 AM
SuperSonicDBZ posted...
69 NOT including Mega Pokemon. Since Mega Pokemon don't last after a battle AND don't get a new number in the National Pokedex, they are not considered "new" Pokemon by the fans.

Does it look like I give a s*** what fans don't consider what? New contents will be new, and they're certainly tons more flexible than formes. The only other forme that's as flexible is like Meloetta's. The other fact is that it's practically usable in every battle. No number argument is completely moot as well as not lasting after a battle in the face of practicality.
---
"It's a gift... and a curse." - Monk
RIP in peace my blog. thank you.
#15the_NGWPosted 10/6/2013 12:32:42 AM
Mairuzu posted...
faruway posted...
Mairuzu posted...
Not counting megas. So its really 88 (right now).

Wait, what? 88?

If you count megas as new Mons, it's 88 (91 now that there are reports of new mega stones for 3 other Pokemon).

And really why don't we count them? Cuz they're "optional"? They're basically evos of previous Pokemon so I don't see why Sylveon gets a pass and Mega Charizard X doesn't.

Because Sylveon IS an evolution? Mega Evos are a temporary, in-battle only form change. They aren't considered new Pokemon, they don't get their own entry in the Pokedex. Sylveon does.
---
3DS Friend Code: 0344-9443-2457, Newtown Dream Address (AC:NL): 5400-2162-1014
"Do you have the courage to ride with the devil?"
#16Strain42Posted 10/6/2013 12:32:59 AM
And really why don't we count them? Cuz they're "optional"? They're basically evos of previous Pokemon so I don't see why Sylveon gets a pass and Mega Charizard X doesn't.

All evolutions are optional. We don't count them because they aren't new Pokemon. They just aren't. At best they're upgraded forms.

Now if it was kinda like Arceus where the Pokemon got to stay in Mega Form so long as they were holding the item, then maybe, just maybe (and even that might be a stretch because after all, we don't count Arceus or Rotom as multiple Pokemon, do we?)

But right now it's a single battle form. Do we count Darmanitans Zen mode as a whole other Pokemon? Do we count Castform's weather forms all as separate Pokemon? What about Meloetta's pirouette form or Cherrim's Sunny Form? No. We don't count them because they're just alternate appearances that only work for a very limited amount of time.

This is not to insult them. This is not to say they're lesser because of this fact. But they AREN'T new Pokemon.

A puppy is not a waffle iron. A mega evolution is simply a temporary form, not a new Pokemon. It's not a bash, it's just a fact. It's not an insult to point out this fact.
---
Don't forget to check out my MegaTen themed webcomics at http://www.drunkduck.com/user/Strain42/ (Currently Updating: Persona 4TW Add-On M-F)
5069-5089-2020
#17SuperSonicDBZPosted 10/6/2013 12:38:04 AM
legendarylemur posted...
SuperSonicDBZ posted...

Does it look like I give a s*** what fans don't consider what? New contents will be new, and they're certainly tons more flexible than formes. The only other forme that's as flexible is like Meloetta's. The other fact is that it's practically usable in every battle. No number argument is completely moot as well as not lasting after a battle in the face of practicality.

Ookay. Quick to the trigger, buddy. First, I'm not even sure if Nintendo considers them new Pokemon of sorts. We won't exactly hear about that until after the 12th. If they do, that will be a whole 'nother issue. Yeah, they're more flexible the formes, that's why they aren't called Formes.

For now when you ask people how many new Pokemon there are, they are more likely to give you two numbers. The amount of Mega Evolutions & the amount of Brand New Pokemon. From there, you can take that as you will. Most people I've seen will give you the 69 number unless you ask for Megas specifically.

In your topic title, you asked if the 69/70 number was including Megas. So the simple answer is no. There are 69, possible 70 new Pokemon not including Mega Pokemon. I haven't been keeping track of the Mega Pokemon. Not personally. But as stated above, you've been given what I hope is a correct number. :P
---
Donnel is my # 1 bro. We fist bump, slay some risen, eat some chicken strips, bomb the Valmese and steal sugar from Gaius on a daily basis. Like a Boss. FE:A
#18Lite_BulbPosted 10/6/2013 12:39:19 AM
Is there an updated list of the current number of new Pokemon? And I count mega evolutions. GF clearly is. And they are new Pokemon.