This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I'm kind if torn up to decide if I get it digitally or physical..

#1sword0flightPosted 10/6/2013 12:25:24 PM
I've owned most pokemon games physically and having the box and booklet to touch is great but since i'm outside the US; I'll have to ship it and that may take 2-3 weeks after release. An advantage of physical is to be able to play the game on multiple systems? and the save copies are tied to SD cards so you can have a sav file on each system?

Despite digital copy may hurt not having the physical thing. The game can be played on release day with no delay. A slight advantage is not having to carry a physical copy always as the game is in your 3DS. But if I get a new 3DS would I be able to download the game again on it from Eshop? Will I be able to play my sav file on a physical copy incase the digital copy gets corrupted?

Shall I wait 2-3 weeks after release to buy the game? Or just grab it digitally? What comes with the box other than the colored manual and cart? Thanks
#2boarbaquePosted 10/6/2013 12:28:37 PM
You'll need a new SD card. It will also take probably 18 hours to download.
#3OzakirPosted 10/6/2013 12:31:21 PM
Is there any speed limit to how fast the 3ds downloads games? If I have a 100mbit connection will I be able to download the game relatively fast or will it still take a long time?
#4stardusteheroPosted 10/6/2013 12:32:07 PM
Unless your 3DS is from a different region.... Pokemon X and Y are launching worldwide this saturday... There is no reason to order it online because you live outside of states.

P.S. coming from someone who doesn't live on a well known country
---
Pokemon Black Version 2 Friend Code: 2624-0554-4747
#5SorrowOfAcheronPosted 10/6/2013 12:38:48 PM
I'm also thinking about this.
Want the physical case + instruction booklet for collection purposes, but I also want to be able to play right away (though, to be fair, I could walk for 5 mins to Game on the 12th and get it).
---
GamerTag: SorrowOfAcheron
Roy (Awakening DLC appearance & unique moveset) and Matthew & Sveta (Golden Sun) for Super Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS
#6SaintZetsuPosted 10/6/2013 12:39:18 PM
If you plan on buying digitally anticipate the servers crashing and having to wait an extra day or so to download.
---
I'm a gurrrrl gamer. Please give me attention.
#7andsoitendsPosted 10/6/2013 12:43:42 PM
For someone like me, who is a big videogame collector, I prefer to have EVERYTHING in physical form. There have been times I bought empty boxes with manuals and the original art sleeves and then I would buy the individual games later, and vice versa. Plus DS cartridges are pretty tough and hard to damage in comparison to discs, so it's not like you have to worry about that either. I like to display my stuff and it's hard to do that with Digital.
---
Why are spiders born with the knowledge to spin webs? F*** you. That's why. - MWNP
#8Miggi3Fr3shPosted 10/6/2013 12:44:20 PM
boarbaque posted...

Maybe on the first day. Unless your connection sucks it shouldn't take longer than 20-30 minutes.
---
3DS: 3351-4111-5844
The Official Goomy of the Pokemon X/Y Boards
#9IronTuskPosted 10/6/2013 12:48:15 PM
boarbaque posted...

Animal Crossing took me 15 minutes to download. Also you can get 32gb SD cards for $20. Digital rules.
---
https://twitter.com/arthurvonnagel
#10RayCRPPosted 10/6/2013 12:48:17 PM
sword0flight posted...
I've owned most pokemon games physically and having the box and booklet to touch is great but since i'm outside the US; I'll have to ship it and that may take 2-3 weeks after release. An advantage of physical is to be able to play the game on multiple systems? and the save copies are tied to SD cards so you can have a sav file on each system?

Despite digital copy may hurt not having the physical thing. The game can be played on release day with no delay. A slight advantage is not having to carry a physical copy always as the game is in your 3DS. But if I get a new 3DS would I be able to download the game again on it from Eshop? Will I be able to play my sav file on a physical copy incase the digital copy gets corrupted?

Shall I wait 2-3 weeks after release to buy the game? Or just grab it digitally? What comes with the box other than the colored manual and cart? Thanks

If you get a new 3DS, you'll be able to transfer your eShop account and any 3DS/DSiWare/VC games tied to your previous 3DS to the new one. THE CATCH is that digital games and all paid DLC (regardless of whether or not the DLC is for a physical or digital game) are limited to 5 system transfers. After that, you'll not be able to transfer again, and you'll have to repurchase any digital games or paid DLC if you wish to play them on an additional system in the future, losing save files in the process.

Why would you ever need 5 system transfers? 1.) Nintendo redesigns their handhelds' hardware about once a year. 2.) Nintendo releases several limited edition handhelds that might appeal to you. 3.) Your system suffers a hardware malfunction and stops working in part or whole. 4.) You lose your system, and have Nintendo help you move your eShop account to a new device.

Note that save files can be transferred from physical copies to digital copies, BUT NOT from digital to physical. So no, you can't play your save file on a physical copy in case the digital copy gets corrupted. Your best option, should you decide to go digital, is to backup your SD card from time to time.
---
Masuda and me: http://imageshack.us/a/img89/3412/bnax.jpg