This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Are you gonna play X and Y with Set or Switch on?

#1WolfJouninPosted 10/6/2013 10:36:22 PM(edited)
Read the description if you don't know what it is. - Results (71 votes)
Switch, because I want to relax while playing it.
52.11% (37 votes)
Set, because I want it to be challenging.
21.13% (15 votes)
Switch, for 1st option, but I'll play with Set on the second version.
0% (0 votes)
Set, for 2nd option, but I'll play with Switch, on the second version.
0% (0 votes)
Set, and I have always left it on since at least previous gen.
8.45% (6 votes)
Switch, because I don't like Set at all.
5.63% (4 votes)
Alternating between them, probably using Set for only Gym Leaders, Elite 4, etc etc...
0% (0 votes)
Set, because I am Nuzlocking (Switch Nuzlocke is too pathetic to be a poll option)
2.82% (2 votes)
I didn't know the option for Set existed, and will try it to make things more interesting.
4.23% (3 votes)
I didn't know the option for Set existed, but it sounds like a hassle.
5.63% (4 votes)
This poll is now closed.
What am I talking about?

EDIT: When I say Shift, I mean Switch. Forgot to edit the poll options to Shift after I looked it up.

Under the options, both in the menu screen and the in-game menu, you can choose to turn the Battle Style to either Shift or Set (default is Shift), in the same place you can change text speed. With Shift on, when in trainer battle's where the opponent has more than 1 Pokemon, and their Pokemon is knocked out, the game tells you what they are switching in next and gives you the opportunity to switch to another Pokemon without using up the turn. With Set, it is the same rules as battle facilities, PWT, and Player vs Player where you give your opponent a free turn to attack in order to switch out (effectively playing by the opponent's same restrictions and on their same level).

I didn't know Set existed for the longest time, and thought it was an inconvenience when I did... but after doing my first nuzlocke, I learned to appreciate it, and I did my B2 Challenge mode with it on and it was a lot more fun than any other version I played. Even though I want to relax while playing XY the first time, I will have it on Set (especially since we won't have challenge mode right off the bat... if at all).

What about you guys? I'm actually really curious about this.
---
Everything in life is a battle. Even peace itself is a battle to maintain it.
#2ShadowMaster684Posted 10/6/2013 10:28:06 PM
Didn't actually know about Set. I'm gonna give it a shot, at least with one of my games.
#3jedinatPosted 10/6/2013 10:29:32 PM
I think you started using "shift" instead of switch in your explanation, TC.... makes things confusing.
#4DannyDMFPosted 10/6/2013 10:30:00 PM
I'll just be playing through on Switch, as I just like to have fun during my story run throughs. Set is more of a hassle than a challenge on normal playthroughs, anyways. Unless you're doing a nuzlocke or challenge run, it doesn't add much challenge to a vanilla run through, regardless.
---
3DS FC - 0516-7379-3699
#5EnfusionistPosted 10/6/2013 10:30:49 PM
Switch is what they use in most of the main anime, so I tend to follow that. Both trainers seem to retreat their chosen Pokemon regardless of who fainted.
---
3DS FC: 5455-9406-0248 (I WILL DELETE Friend Codes after small trades, unless you specifically ASK to stay as friends!)
AC:NL Dream Address: 4600-2157-4012
#6WolfJounin(Topic Creator)Posted 10/6/2013 10:33:59 PM
jedinat posted...
I think you started using "shift" instead of switch in your explanation, TC.... makes things confusing.

I did lol... that's because I looked it up afterwards, and realized it was called Shift... then forgot to edit the poll options! God dammit!
---
#7AlI_About_The_UPosted 10/6/2013 10:35:56 PM
I usually go set, to make battles slightly faster.
---
http://i.imgur.com/Fd6pTd6.jpg
#8WolfJounin(Topic Creator)Posted 10/6/2013 10:48:23 PM(edited)
I honestly wasn't expecting anything specific in terms of how many players use Set, but I did expect Shift (Switch in the poll options >_>) to be at least around 50%... I guess Set, at least according to these boards is preferred by significantly less players... which makes sense, hell I used Shift until B2 (excluding my Emerald Nuzlocke... which took place before B2).
---