This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I wish GF worked with Smogon

#81Twilight_SonataPosted 10/7/2013 9:44:24 PM
Xenesis Xenon posted...
I challenge you to name one game series that consistently hits all of those notes without one sacrificing one for another.

I don't understand the question. Lots of games do it. Pokemon is one of them. Just because it's not perfect doesn't mean it's not great.

42Bladez posted...
You're wrong. You can't have it all. It will ALWAYS be a balancing act.

Maybe I should have chosen my wording more carefully. What I mean is that it's not a balancing act where one has to be sorted over the other. It's not like there's only a supply of 100% and it needs to be distributed 50-50 to be balanced; rather, it's perfectly doable, with some though, to have both sides up to 100.

Oh, and your comment above about a printing press?

http://xkcd.com/895/
#8242BladezPosted 10/8/2013 6:20:50 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#8342BladezPosted 10/8/2013 6:29:23 AM
Separate post because this is a separate point.

There's one last piece to the puzzle. A Pokemon can be designed from the top-down or from the bottom-up.

A Pokemon that is designed from the top-down is one that arises from an idea about what would be cool from a lore/flavor/idea standpoint and is then designed to fit within the game. (Wizards calls players who prefer these Vorthos)

A Pokemon that is designed from the bottom-up is the exact opposite. You have an idea for what you want from a gameplay/metagame standpoint and then design a Pokemon around it. (Wizards calls players who prefer these Melvin)

Most, if not all, Pokemon are Vorthos Pokemon. Pokemon that are designed in this way are generally more interesting because they are connected to something in the outside world, they are designed with a cool/cute factor in mind, and because they are at the very least interesting.

All of the Pokemon that Smogon designed are Melvin Pokemon. If you design a Pokemon based purely on what's good for the metagame, you will never be able to get Pokemon that resonate with the audience.

So not only are Game Freak's and Smogon's design processes completely opposites, but they have different end goals in mind. If the ultimate goal is to create marketable Pokemon (which IS their ultimate goal), Smogon's designs will always be inferior to the process they currently use.
---
SSBB Friend Code 5198-2077-0151 Area: NE U.S.A
Name: Missing Number Nick:MISNO
#84PsychologistPhDPosted 10/8/2013 6:32:53 AM
Your girlfriend will never work with Smogon.

She's too busy working with me.
---
3DS FC: 4656-6654-7556
Currently Playing AC: New Leaf
#8542BladezPosted 10/8/2013 6:34:34 AM
PsychologistPhD posted...
Your girlfriend will never work with Smogon.

She's too busy working with me.

You win the thread.
---
#86DunnoBroPosted 10/8/2013 6:37:13 AM
The fakemon are subtly overpowered and while admittedly well-designed, it'd need an entire rework of old pokemon to make them not broken
---
>Implying I don't actually know
3DS FC: 3308 4781 6052
#87ClassyOldHatPosted 10/8/2013 6:41:42 AM
42Bladez posted...
NuclearSnowCone posted...
Yeah if Smogon could handle the typing, abilities, stats, and movepools so many things would be viable in OU it would be so much better for Pokemon as a whole.

What all of you fail to understand is this: there exist people who play Pokemon for reasons other than the competitive metagame. Shocking, I know. If your argument is that what's good for Smogon's community is what's good for Pokemon fans in general, you're going to have to back up those claims. Because as it stands, Smogon's a VERY small sector of the greater Pokemon community.

I'm not going to say that Smogon's game is unbalanced or anything like that, nor would I suggest ways to make it better. But if you let the inmates run the asylum, all hell is bound to break loose.

So, any specifics on HOW Smogon would mess up that game for other players? Or are you just going to make card game analogies that can't apply?
#88Tino_Tonitini2Posted 10/8/2013 6:53:42 AM
NuclearSnowCone posted...
Yeah I 100% guarantee if Colosoil was official everyone would love it.

I have to admit that out of all the Fakemon, this one looks it could be a real Pokémon. Even the name works well. Definitely one of my favorites.

I also like Krillowatt, Mollux and the Electric-Dragon thing. Most of the others are "meh" or worse.
#8942BladezPosted 10/8/2013 7:09:53 AM
ClassyOldHat posted...
So, any specifics on HOW Smogon would mess up that game for other players? Or are you just going to make card game analogies that can't apply?

I've already posted how they would mess up the game and how their methods wouldn't work. If you're saying my argument doesn't work because it's using the rules set out by a TCG, then let it be known that said TCG created the "catch 'em all" thing in the first place and predate Pokemon by 2.5 years. The player profiles they created can be applied to any collectible game.

I love how you say I didn't give specifics, yet you said my analogy failed without citing specific reasons why. It's gotta go both ways, buddy.
---
#90scitch1Posted 10/8/2013 7:16:48 AM
smogon is evil

they are destroying the heart of pokemon
---
Signature