This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Should I buy a 3DS XL just for this game? (long post)

#1SagenPosted 10/8/2013 7:22:38 PM
So I have been a fan of Pokemon since Red/Blue back when I was a kid. It was so great and I loved every minute of it. I had the cards, watched the shows, etc. Now I am much older and obviously the kiddie stage has worn off. I have high expectations for video games now. I love playing Starcraft II and now living it up on GTA Online. I want to make sure that Pokemon is a worthwhile and basically fun investment. Being that I will have to buy the system and the game since I don't have a newer game boy, (last one I owned was a GBA SP) I'll have to spend upwards of $250 with taxes and all to get both the system and the game. Needless to say, its a hefty price so I want to make sure its worth it.

I still like the show, at least the old one I watch on Youtube sometimes, but the last Pokemon I actually played was probably Pokemon Silver. So I'm sure things are generally the same as with any Pokemon game, but I have a few questions I was hoping you guys could help me out with.

What are the online capabilities? I am a huge fan of online multiplayer games and most games I get nowadays I usually require them to have at least some sort of online multiplayer. To what extent is there multiplayer in Pokemon X and Y? Is there online battles that I can do via random matchmaking? Or will I be able to ONLY battle my friends? That would be a problem since I will basically not be telling anyone that I am playing Pokemon for fear of ridicule, but that's for another post. Also, is there any kind of chat features or way that I can interact with the presumed stranger that I will be battling? I want to be able to talk some smack! Or at least say hey good luck.

Other than awesome 3D graphics, new Pokemon, and online, what are the new features? Is that all the new features? I know that Pokemon games are to an extent a rehash of the same game previously but what are the new differences this one has to offer?

So I'm sorry if I asked a question that was in the FAQ, I have been doing a good bit of Googling and watching stuff of Youtube so I know a good bit, but I just wanted to clarify some things before I go dropping the chunk of cash. At the end of the day I want to know if I should spend that kind of money on my nostalgia, or is there a newer aspect of it that is worth breaking the bank for? I am just looking for a fun game I can really dump some time into while having a blast.

It is hard to get into certain games and I would HATE to spend my money and then not enjoy the game and be stuck with it. So I'm trying to cover my bases. Any advice would really be helpful guys. Thanks in advance!
---
"One who knows nothing, can understand nothing." -Ansem. KH
#2-hotdogturtle--Posted 10/8/2013 7:26:39 PM(edited)
I know that Pokemon games are to an extent a rehash of the same game previously

If that's what you think then don't even bother getting any of the modern ones.

Edit (before someone misinterprets my post): Because you will not even appreciate any of the new stuff that the DS games (or this game) have to offer.
---
Hey man, LlamaGuy did encrypt the passwords.
With what? ROT-13? -CJayC
#3Lite_BulbPosted 10/8/2013 7:26:35 PM
I did. A nice, pretty Pokemon Y-themed one.
#4MoskidoPosted 10/8/2013 7:32:11 PM
Whew. Thats alot. Let me see here.

1. There is random matchups & such online. You'd go to the pokecenter and register your 3DS and there you go. No one knows you're online, its only online when you better or trade worldwide via GTS and you can trade and battle pretty much whoever you want. They ever have online tournaments every now and then. There is a mic built into the #DS so as long as someone has the voicechat option open when you battle or trade you can say whatever to my knowledge.

2. If you don't wanna spend too much on a 3DS just buy used at whatever retailer you want and buy the game new. shouln't cost more than 130 but prices may vary wherever you buy one from if you decide to go used. Combine that with the game you're looking at 170 plus taxes.
---
GT: XBPD x OVOXO | Twitter: @ImNotAbSoul
"What are you, a monk?" - Vincent Hanna
#5captpantherPosted 10/8/2013 7:42:09 PM
There's also the 2DS which is $130 new coming out the same day. It's a 3DS without the 3D function.
---
If it weren't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college.
#6HipsterSoraPosted 10/8/2013 7:44:12 PM
Okay, I'm gonna try to really help you make this decision. This pokemon generation is changing a lot of things and adding cool new concepts such as MEGA evs, horde battles, flight battles, BENCH SITTING, diagonal moving, and some other cool stuff you can see in the trailers. I personally wouldn't buy the game on release if I were you, but wait and see the reviews after. I am personally buying both on release, and will buy the next instalment of this generation. I love most of the new pokemon, and the game is supposedly really upbeat and fast paced compared to other pokemon games.

Online: I suggest you watch the trailer that has the online battles on it and stuff. Also check the main website; some decent info there on it. To my knowledge, you can battle friends. I really think you can battle strangers, but I really have no idea. I also am somewhat sure you can send messages to people, but only those with your pokemon friend code. As for not having friends your telling this to: this is what online friends are essentially for. Just browse forums after the game comes out and get lots of friend codes from people.

Also, don't buy a 3DS/2DS on just pokemon. There are lots of other great games out there that I bet even a gamer like you would enjoy. A great one is Fire Emblem Awakening if you like RPGs. The new Super Mario 3D Worlds will be pretty awesome; 3D land was cool in its own right but much too short and easy to beat. The new Ace Attorney or Virtue's Last Reward would be great if you like mysteries and stuff. Professor Layton would be good if you are really into puzzles. For online 3DS games, you want Kid Icarus Uprising, Mario Kart 7, and actually Pokemon. The new Sonic game looks really awesome in my opinion, but thats more for really fast paced, minimal puzzles, some action, lots of timing. Kingdom Hearts DDD had an amazing story, but you really don't want to jump into the series there. The gameplay is easy enough though if you're a cheap fighter. There are a lot of great games i'm missing such as Shin Megami Tensai IV, Mario & Luigi DREAM TEAM, Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon, Final Fantasy Theatrhythm, Etrian Odyssey series, Animal Crossing, and a lot more. The 3DS has so much to offer; don't spend money on it only for pokemon X or Y.

Lastly, if you get a 3DS (Which I highly suggest; it has literally made me stop playing PS3, not get the PS4 for another year, and halted all PC gaming I do), join Club Nintendo and register your system and all games you buy. You earn coins buy buying games, and then additional coins for doing a quick 1 minute survey. Using these coins you can buy even more games that you will get a download code for, which requires internet. Buying these games using your coins will actually provide you with another survey to get more coins with. Ultimately, you get free games for buying games you already wanted. From this I have gotten about 18 games downloaded onto my 3DS. Club Nintendo also has offers occasionally, such as buying Fire Emblem Awakening and Shin Megami Tensei IV and getting $30 back to spend on the eShop (which I bought Unchained Blades with). There was another one where if you bought Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon in the first month or so, you would get a free game (I picked Mario3Dland, but Layton and another cool one was up for grabs).

Hope I really helped. Buy it if you feel like it will be fun; but I assure you it will be.
---
Facebook Page: www.facebook.com/TheRealSlimSora
Kingdom Hearts page with 3000+ likes! Also post pokemon and anime regularly.
#7flkidPosted 10/8/2013 7:44:58 PM
I didnt bother to read all that but I would say yes. Pokemon is an awesome series and even if this game disappoints you there are LOADS of other great games for the 3DS. FA awakeneing,MH3U,Legend of zelda a link between worlds, mario and luigi dream team and many many others that are well worth getting a 3DS for.
---
"Hey would you say I became a hero"-Zack Fair
#8HipsterSoraPosted 10/8/2013 7:53:31 PM
also: what kind of 3DS should you buy?

If you're gonna just keep it at home, I suggest the 2DS. Its actually nice in my opinion, and is a cheaper option.

If you are going to be bringing around on public transportation or are not home often enough to play there, I suggest getting a 3DS XL. Used if you can't afford a new one; a used will just have a few scratches on the outer surface. Be sure to read discriptions thoroughly if you plan on buying on ebay or any other online supplier.

If you really want something portable, but not so big, and not about $200, I suggest going with a 3DS. Lots of them are being sold used since people are going for the XL (which really is worth it. Way better battery ((mine lasts a full day or two of playing with wifi on, 1 brightness, and powersaver option on )), larger screens that help a lot imo, better stylus location, nicer outside in my opinion, and is way comfier to hold. My friend has a regular 3DS and it feels so tiny in my hands, the triggers are awkwards ((which really messed with me in Kid Icarus Uprising)), and it was weird getting the stylus from the back).

Bottom Line: I suggest the 3DS XL, but other conditions you have result in a contextual situation which is quite problematic to solve without knowing additional details.
---
#9HipsterSoraPosted 10/8/2013 7:59:02 PM
flkid posted...
I didnt bother to read all that but I would say yes. Pokemon is an awesome series and even if this game disappoints you there are LOADS of other great games for the 3DS. FA awakeneing,MH3U,Legend of zelda a link between worlds, mario and luigi dream team and many many others that are well worth getting a 3DS for.

FE Awakening you mean. Fire Emblem: Awakening, which is more commonly abbreviated FE:A. FE:A is legitimatley my favorite game ever. It even topped any game in my favorite series, Kingdom Hearts. Monster Hunter 3 has some amazing graphics, and I hear its fun to play from both people I know and those giving reviews. LoZ OoT 3D was a good remake of the classic 64 game, and had nice 3D effects. LoZ A Link Between Worlds isn't out yet, but I bet it'll be good. Dream Team I am in the middle of playing and its good.
---
#10Sagen(Topic Creator)Posted 10/8/2013 9:30:53 PM
Wow guys thanks for the responses, sorry for the long post I just had to put it all in there. So I am still on the fence, but I am leaning more and more towards getting it. I know that you guys are saying I would love the other games on the 3DS and you might be right, but I am more the type to play 1 or 2 games VERY intensely rather than play a lot of games casually. So as long as I can get at least 100 hours or so out of this Pokemon game then that is more than worth it in my opinion. I just want to be able to keep playing it and not get bored.

I am just now learning about the 2DS, and it seems that it is indeed the cheaper option. But it seems just that, cheaper. It seems counterproductive since the a huge sellpoint with this game is the 3D artowrk, right? And I figure if I'm going to get one, might as well get the best with the best battery life and all. I just want to make sure Pokemon will offer me a full and fun experience that will last. I love the series, I just want to make sure this generation won't come up short.

Maybe I will wait until the reviews come out before I buy it. At least the official IGN or Gamespot ones. Just to make sure it is up to par? Or do you guys think just go for it and get it all at midnight release day?
---
"One who knows nothing, can understand nothing." -Ansem. KH