This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Best "Pokemon for Dummies" guide? Share your exp introducing friends to Pokemon!

#1PK_WonderPosted 10/8/2013 7:06:29 PM
I've been a Pokemon fan for sixteen years, since the age of six, followed every generation, and consider myself a pretty good teacher of most subjects that I am familiar with. That said, Pokemon is a fairly complex and potentially overwhelming series for someone who has never played an RPG before, i.e. my friend who just got a 3DS. She isn't much of a gamer yet, but is very interested in becoming one. She's pretty intelligent, so I'm not going to baby her into it with other games (Pokemon Red was the first game I ever owned/beat when I was six, so she can do handle it at twenty).

I spent about an hour preparing her, explaining the adventure premise, catching Pokemon, collecting/completing the Pokedex, explaining basic battle techniques, such as types, moves, offending Pokemon, defending Pokemon, stats, STAB, experience and leveling, and evolution. oh, and items. She wasn't confused or anything, but would appreciate a series of video tutorials to watch before she gets the game. I assured her the best method is to actually experience the game, and it isn't as overwhelming as it sounds. She would be more comfortable with visual aids though.

So, my question is, what is the best Pokemon 101 guide or videos you have found on the Internet? Everything I've found is geared towards competitive battling, and it's too early for that. Have you ever introduced a friend to Pokemon? How did it go? Share your stories.
---
3DS FC - 0602-7082-6398
Wii U nnid - PK_Wonder
#2TheDocktor144Posted 10/8/2013 7:26:40 PM(edited)
Sounds like you're going a tad overboard. Here's my explanation, you're a kid who can collect pokemon and battle with them, your goal ostensibly is to beat the elite four. You really can't screw anything up.

EDIT: Mind you if your goal is to set her up to play competitively, it's definitely more complicated. But I'd say take it a step at a time.
#3SpoonMan54321Posted 10/8/2013 7:33:17 PM
to start, just give out a few of the things that aren't completely obviously explained in-game.

1. here's the type chart. check it from time to time until you become familiar with it. Also here's how dual type pokemon work relative to the chart.
2. STAB exists. here's how it works.
3. Loading up on attack moves may seem like a good idea, but it's generally not the best way to build your whole team. Try to avoid moves of the same type on the same pokemon.

Don't bother with EV/IV/breeding/natures AT ALL for a beginner. This is really all you need to start out. Let a beginner figure most things out for themselves, that's most of the fun.
---
...and bababooey to y'all
#4Katharina27Posted 10/8/2013 7:35:59 PM
Just give her a type chart and a Pokedex from Serebii.net

Pokemon is not exactly rocket science.
---
I am guilty of being an insufferable smart ass!
Too many people I know would be perfectly content to burn me for a witch.
#5DarknessLink7Posted 10/9/2013 11:28:48 PM
We need more Pokemon introduction videos on YouTube. Might be a great idea for a new channel actually...
---
3DS FC: 5026-4968-1695, Name: Adam
Perfection is at hand! I have been made compleat.
#6discodancer77Posted 10/9/2013 11:30:36 PM
Say you collect partners and they help you win battles and stuff. Compare it to other rpgs
---
Crime doesn't pay. Crime takes what crime wants.
Pokemon Black 2 FC: 3225-3487-1145
#7Swamp-marsh-mudPosted 10/9/2013 11:35:02 PM
I learned how to EV train, because of Tamashi's how to EV train video. It's really helpful :).
#8discodancer77Posted 10/9/2013 11:37:15 PM
Have her play/beat 2 or 3 different games, then offer to have a battle with her. Destroy her, and when she asks how you're so strong, say you train your pokes on a special way and continue from there
---
Crime doesn't pay. Crime takes what crime wants.
Pokemon Black 2 FC: 3225-3487-1145
#9LOOOPSPosted 10/10/2013 6:26:02 AM
Just let her play the game. It's not that complex. If she wants to know about EVs and IVs, tell her to Google it.
---
The Dream Team so far: http://i.imgur.com/P8yHIUI.png
#10TherianReturnsPosted 10/10/2013 6:27:47 AM
Is the point of this topic to show the world that you have a lady friend? Seems like it.
---
I am the only true Pokemon fan. Find me at: http://www.youtube.com/user/AdventOfTherian/about
Pokedex completion - X (0/720) Y (0/720)