This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Never played a Pokemon game...

#1figurehead00Posted 10/10/2013 2:48:51 PM
Being 30, I feel like I just missed Pokemon. Never watched the show, never played a game. Thing is, I love JRPGs, especially on handhelds, and I'm always on the lookout for more. I'm playing SMT:IV right now.

So I've got no nostalgia for the world, and I could only name a couple Pokemon, including Pikachu. I guess my question is, is the JRPG aspect strong enough for someone like me to get into? The astetic doesn't really grab me, but I love digging into mechanics.

Thanks to anyone who throws in their opinion.
#2GolurkcanflyPosted 10/10/2013 2:49:48 PM
Get the game, for you will regret nothing if you do.
---
Official Amnesiac Darkrai of the Pokemon X Board
You know why spiders know how to spin webs when they hatch? Because F*** You! That's why.
#3jedinatPosted 10/10/2013 2:50:03 PM
If you like RPG game mechanics there's aplenty to dig into.
#4TheMasterTurtlePosted 10/10/2013 2:54:56 PM
Enjoy one of the greatest series ever made.

Shin Megami Tensei.

But Pokemon is good as well.
---
OFFICIAL WARTORTLE OF THE B/W BOARDS
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThreeAmigosProductio - My short films, please enjoy yourself.
#5Jack_the_monke7Posted 10/10/2013 2:55:55 PM
I'd say give it a try. If you like lots of options for party members and team building you are definitely in luck. If you like leveling up and growing you're in luck also.

The mechanics are simple yet deep. If you're looking to play competitively then you'll definitely get into all the nitty gritty details of the mechanics. Just playing the story you'll want to make a balenced and varied team that is prepared to face any challenge.

I'm not sure I'm helping. I don't know very much about you TC so I'm just throwing out whatever comes to mind. Pokemon is a very addicting series so like I said, give it a go and see how you like it. Unfortunately Pokemon games never lower in value so you can't really find an older cheap game to try the series out with. But any of the DS or 3DS games should be a fine starting place. Go ahead and start with X and Y if you like. I will say that as a longtime fan I personally think SoulSilver/HeartGold were the best games in the series.
---
King Boo for Super Smash Bros.
Spread the word, show your support
#6Xeo352Posted 10/10/2013 2:56:45 PM
There are a ton of mechanics to dig into in pokemon, especially since it's a competitive game if you want it to be.
#7figurehead00(Topic Creator)Posted 10/10/2013 4:32:17 PM
Well, thanks everybody. That was really helpful. I'll probably end up giving it a shot soon.
#8A Novel IdeaPosted 10/10/2013 4:33:37 PM
TC's a bandwagoner
---
"I have not felt anything since the day megaupload died." - Fubonis
#9henriuePosted 10/10/2013 4:35:28 PM
Perhaps you should take a look at some reviews.

I love pokémon because it is one of the last good turn based RPGs, the mechanics are more than solid, but plot is not its forte. And I warn you this is highly addictive
---
White Nuzlocke: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/2000300-pokemon-emerald-social/67324065
I endorse Permaculture
#10figurehead00(Topic Creator)Posted 10/10/2013 5:20:59 PM
A Novel Idea posted...
TC's a bandwagoner

Lol, apparently.