This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is it better to evolve a pokemon right away or to wait?

#1ProdicalxPosted 10/14/2013 12:07:18 AM
From my understanding, lower evolved pokemon need less experience to level up, but also get less stat bonus level to level. However, after researching some I read that the longer you wait to evolve, the bigger the stat increase they get when they level up. So I guess the real question is if I leveled up a pokemon say at level 50 instead of 36, would it have the same stats as say a pokemon that had leveled up at 36 and went then grew to lvl 50. Mainly looking to save time grinding if at all possible, but don't want to lose out on stats because I'm somewhat of a maximizer.
#2jayman7Posted 10/14/2013 12:14:14 AM(edited)
Prodicalx posted...
From my understanding, lower evolved pokemon need less experience to level up,

Wrong.

but also get less stat bonus level to level.

Wrong, because there's no such thing as a "stat bonus" in Pokemon. The little plus numbers you see when you gain a level mean nothing.

However, after researching some I read that the longer you wait to evolve, the bigger the stat increase they get when they level up.

Ignore what I had here before: there is nothing remotely close to correct in this quote. (In the original edit, I had misunderstood what you said.)

There is no such thing as a "stat boost" in Pokemon. Stats are calculated from a formula, and "level of evolution" isn't a factor.

And all Pokemon gain EXP equally (except in the fifth gen, but even then it was due to level, not species), and all Pokemon in the same evolutionary line gain levels at the same EXP values.

The only reasons you'd ever be better off delaying evolution are a) learning moves, which underevolved Pokemon tend to do faster, and b) using items like the Light Ball or Eviolite, which only work on underevolved Pokemon.
---
Creator of Jay's Journey (see quote!)
"It's not ten years old! Therefore, it sucks!" - Nostalgia whores everywhere