This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How does the special training work?

#1Mohawk_BravoPosted 10/15/2013 5:36:47 PM
I was never super clear on the IV/HV thing and always just followed a guide to make sense of it. However, with it so easy now, I'm curious how exactly it works. Firstly, does the stat increases effect level up gains (do they need to be trained early on) or is it some sort of modifier. Secondly, should I use these to cover my Poke's weaknesses (Increasing Greninja's defenses) or should I try to specialize everyone (or is this a case of case to case work?)?

Thanks in advance.
#2Mohawk_Bravo(Topic Creator)Posted 10/15/2013 5:42:41 PM
Bump.
#3lunarswordPosted 10/15/2013 5:43:12 PM
Basically, a Pokemon gets different values in each stat, in the form of IVs and EVs. IVs (Initial Values) are determined when you catch the Pokemon and fall within certain values based on the Pokemon in question. EVs (Effort Values) are a second amount that is added to the stats and are changed mainly by defeating certain types of Pokemon (quicker types like a Zubat will add more Speed EVs to yours for example).

Until the training was added, EV training was done to maximize specific stats by only defeating certain Pokemon until you reached the limit of EV points allowed. The training is there to speed up and simplify the process by letting you simply do the proper exercise to increase your chosen stats until you hit the limit (the bar on the right side of the screen).
---
"This is all me. This is ALL ME!"
Video play throughs at - http://www.youtube.com/user/DreadArkive
#4Mohawk_Bravo(Topic Creator)Posted 10/15/2013 5:45:15 PM
So it's not required to be done at the lowest level possible?

As well, is the general consensus that EVs should cover weaknesses, enhance strengths, or be planned according to the job of the Poke?
#5lunarswordPosted 10/15/2013 6:28:15 PM
Mohawk_Bravo posted...
So it's not required to be done at the lowest level possible?

As well, is the general consensus that EVs should cover weaknesses, enhance strengths, or be planned according to the job of the Poke?

The longer you wait to use the training, the more likely you will use up you EV limit on stats you may have not wanted. As for your other question, it really depends on the strategy you employ in competitive battles, since that is the only time you really need to even think about EV/IVs at all. As such, I never play against others, so I just boost Speed for priority (getting the first shot in with elemental strength is my usual method of winning), and whichever attack type I focus on the most (Lucario is spread even to Attack and Special Attack, Gardevoir is Special Attack, etc.).

For the most part, in many games actually, trying to increase the weakest stat is usually a waste since the difference it will take to "even out" is much more dramatic than simply making a stat much more powerful than it already is. Boosting a really low Defense is less likely to keep a Pokemon in battle than simply making them more prone to one-shotting the opponent instead if they have a decent/high attack value to begin with.
---
#6Mohawk_Bravo(Topic Creator)Posted 10/15/2013 7:05:56 PM
Thank you.

I've also read something about a reset bag that resets EVs. Is that true or am I misunderstanding what I read?
#7lunarswordPosted 10/15/2013 7:20:56 PM
Mohawk_Bravo posted...
Thank you.

I've also read something about a reset bag that resets EVs. Is that true or am I misunderstanding what I read?

Given that previous titles gave you items to reset specific EVs, yes, I would assume they did it this time. So apart from breeding for better IVs (or just capturing until you get ones you like, since breeding is a truly great beast of a process) you don't need to ever feel like you've "ruined" a Pokemon.
---
#8NinjaKitsunePosted 10/15/2013 7:24:44 PM
Reset bag can be found randomly by tapping the default "blank" bag.
---
If you see this, something broke gamefox