This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Mega Blastoise Discussion (Moves, EVs, etc.)

#1hockeyjockey87Posted 10/16/2013 8:07:31 AM
I've not been able to get my hands on a female Squirtle to breed my own yet, but from a thread I just saw on reddit it looks like Blastoise can learn Aura Sphere and Dragon Pulse from Clawitzer as egg moves. I also read that he can learn Dark Pulse via TM (just short of Route 15 in my game). Combine this info with the Mega Launcher ability (50% increase to pulse and aura moves) and it seems Mega Blastoise with have a pretty viable offensive moveset to go with his durability. Just wondering what everyone's thought were on a solid Mega Blastoise build and if it will have any viability in online battle. I was thinking maybe:

Water Pulse
Dark Pulse/Dragon Pulse/Aura Sphere
Rest
Sleep Talk

The Rest/Sleep Talk combo would take advantage of his tankiness and allow him to keep blasting away with the pulses. Another idea was to drop Rest and Sleep Talk for an additional pulse move and then Rapid Spin to use him as a spinner as well? You could always just go with all offensive pulse moves as well. I haven't done too much online battling in the past so these could be way off base. As for the EVs and nature, I was thinking of focusing on SAtk and either HP or Def ( or Speed for an all offensive build). What are everyone's thought's on a Mega Blastoise build?
#2hockeyjockey87(Topic Creator)Posted 10/16/2013 8:58:36 AM
Fast board...
#3molerat28Posted 10/16/2013 10:10:38 AM
do you have info on heal pulse? if he gets that then i would think dragon pulse.aura sphere.water pulse and heal pulse with evs set to hp max and sp atk max. u get to save on the two slots with heal pulse and not having sleep talk. plus u have an almost perfect coverage of types.
#4hockeyjockey87(Topic Creator)Posted 10/16/2013 10:39:47 AM
molerat28 posted...
do you have info on heal pulse? if he gets that then i would think dragon pulse.aura sphere.water pulse and heal pulse with evs set to hp max and sp atk max. u get to save on the two slots with heal pulse and not having sleep talk. plus u have an almost perfect coverage of types.

Not yet, could breed one with a slowpoke to see if this is possible.
#57Nitro7Blazer7Posted 10/16/2013 2:35:00 PM(edited)
His old role was a bulky UU spinner.

With Dark pulse, he's incredibly dangerous to block. He gains more defenses, BUT loses leftovers. Still, he's got a pretty diverse movepool now. Ice beam, Water pulse (or surf or hydro pump), Aura sphere, dark pulse, dragon pulse, flash cannon, Hidden power.

As far as utility goes, he's got Rapid spin, toxic, substitute, rest, sleep talk, rain dance.

And other potential egg moves.
---
I'm a real Porcupine and I have sharp Quills!
The Infamous Cap'n Ennbeard!
#6Nickcool1996Posted 10/16/2013 2:46:13 PM
7Nitro7Blazer7 posted...
His old role was a bulky UU spinner.

With Dark pulse, he's incredibly dangerous to block. He gains more defenses, BUT loses leftovers. Still, he's got a pretty diverse movepool now. Ice beam, Water pulse (or surf or hydro pump), Aura sphere, dark pulse, dragon pulse, flash cannon, Hidden power.

As far as utility goes, he's got Rapid spin, toxic, substitute, rest, sleep talk, rain dance.

And other potential egg moves.

I was using him in OU last gen with:

Scald
HP Fire
Ice Beam
Rapid Spin

This gen, I might just replace Ice Beam with Flash Cannon. idk.
---
Atlus Fans In General: http://i.imgur.com/yyrgQjP.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/user/Nickcool1996?feature=mhum
#7Chiron11Posted 10/16/2013 2:50:25 PM
molerat28 posted...

You can't use Heal Pulse on yourself, can you?
---
Pokemon Diamond Friend Code: 0774 - 5715 - 7697
Super Smash Bros Brawl Friend Code: 1719 - 6156 - 1939
#87Nitro7Blazer7Posted 10/16/2013 2:59:25 PM
Nickcool1996 posted...
I was using him in OU last gen with:

Scald
HP Fire
Ice Beam
Rapid Spin

This gen, I might just replace Ice Beam with Flash Cannon. idk.

He was usable for sure, even in OU. But he was still outclassed in the sweeper spinner regard by Starmie, and hte bulky spinner regard by Tentacruel.

You know what I want?

I want shell smash Mega Blastoise. Have we confirmed or denied that he can / can't get it through breeding, yet?
---
I'm a real Porcupine and I have sharp Quills!
The Infamous Cap'n Ennbeard!
#9Nickcool1996Posted 10/16/2013 3:01:37 PM
Oh right. It never got Shell Smash.

Wat.
---
Atlus Fans In General: http://i.imgur.com/yyrgQjP.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/user/Nickcool1996?feature=mhum
#10Kai-samaPosted 10/16/2013 6:14:12 PM
The Mega Toise I am running is Bold nature with full EVs in HP and Def the rest in Spl.Atk. He gets a big enough boost to spl.atk simply by Mega evolving and the damage boost from mega launcher makes water pulse deadly, especially in the rain.

This way he retains his tanky bulk and high defense but can strike back unlike any other wall in the game I've seen. He does need recovery so running a sleep/talk set isn't bad as far as his move set goes. Though you 100% need Water Pulse on him with the buff to it the Gen and the extra buff from Mega Launcher he wrecks shop with it.

The other Pulse moves I'd suggest are either Aura Sphere or Dark Pulse, Dragon Pulse is nice but only super effective against dragons and your better off with Ice Beam for a wider coverage if you want him to take down dragons. He really needs a better recovery move then rest, however he is limited in this regard though if you don't want to run Sleep/Talk I'd suggest running a little utility such as Rapid Spin and Toxic for clearing hazards and wearing down other tanks (be careful of Aegislash he is immune to both Spin and Toxic).