This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Never played any of the games or know much about Pokemon, but this looks cool.

#1LugovesPosted 10/16/2013 5:45:31 PM
So, explain to me a little bit about this game and what the differences are between the 2. Looks like you capture creatures and train them to fight?
---
"I want to see more of Lugoves' posts. That *%$# cracks me up." - mrvercetti
#2EnlinoPosted 10/16/2013 5:47:53 PM
There's very little difference between the two - a couple pokemon are exclusive to each version, but you can trade to get the ones from the other game. Just pick the version with the cooler dude on the cover and you're good.
#3M4nnimalPosted 10/16/2013 5:48:49 PM
Basically, your goal is to be the very best like no one ever was. To catch them is your real test, but to train them is your cause. You will travel across the land, searching far and wide for each Pokemon to understand the power that's inside.
---
"We thirsted for thunderbolts and great deeds."
#4Chadwicked444Posted 10/16/2013 5:50:43 PM
M4nnimal posted...
Basically, your goal is to be the very best like no one ever was. To catch them is your real test, but to train them is your cause. You will travel across the land, searching far and wide for each Pokemon to understand the power that's inside.

perfect description
---
GT:NEStrider
#5Oni_TatsujinPosted 10/16/2013 5:53:33 PM
Pokemon games are a very simple concept that anyone can understand, but at the same time there's a lot of depth that makes competitive battles very strategic.

Pokemon works a lot like Rock-Paper-Scissors. Every Pokemon has a "Type", which are various elements. Grass type beats water type, which beats fire type, which comes back around and beats grass, and such. Except instead of merely three "hands", there are 18 Pokemon types to work with! And most pokemon are dual-typed, bringing up the number to 324. And then, each Pokemon can know four moves at a time, each of which has their own type. Although type advantages exist, it is also not unheard of for weaker types in the match-up to triumph over the monster that has the advantage.

The plotline for every Pokemon game is generally the same: You're a young man/woman embarking on the League Challenge. Your goal is to travel all across the land and triumph over Gym Leaders and obtain their Badge, emblems proving your training expertise. With all eight badges, you advance to Victory Road to challenge the Elite Four, and then become League Champion. Along the way, there's a meddling criminal gang that is trying to wreck havoc in the Pokemon world. It usually falls to you to thwart their evil schemes and save the world.

When it comes to what's different between X and Y versions, there's about 25 exclusive Pokemon in each game that can't be caught in the wild in the other version. Of course, trading between players is very easy, so you should really just buy the version with the Legendary Mascot on the cover you like most, as trading legendaries is rarely done.
---
"What can the crop hope for, if not the care of the Reaper man?" - Death
3DS FC: 0533 4895 2730
#6KiteDistelPosted 10/16/2013 5:55:53 PM
Go buy the game and get off boards. Trust me, this is for your own good and enjoyment of the game

People will confuse you with advanced mechanics of the game that won't help you till you've experienced the game first.

If you get stuck in the game you could buy the walk through that's coming out. Or you can probably find all the info online already.

The boards aren't the best place for a newbie to the series
---
Defiance (Xbox 360) In game name "XxStienxX"
3Ds Fc:3496-9492-2665
#7Soul59Posted 10/16/2013 6:02:27 PM
How the hell do you not know anything about Pokemon in this day and age?
---
He who fights and runs away, lives to not have the f****** moon fall on him as an alternative - Tacitus
#8Lugoves(Topic Creator)Posted 10/16/2013 6:08:56 PM
Soul59 posted...
How the hell do you not know anything about Pokemon in this day and age?

Never interested me and wasn't my thing? I've heard of it before and know it involved catching and training creatures, but never played any of the games or was into it.
---
#9GolurkcanflyPosted 10/16/2013 6:12:12 PM
It's as you say, you capture creatures and use them in battle against other creatures. You can catch as many as you want, but you can only have 6 in your party. There are also mechanics like breeding, EVs, IVs, and such that you don't really need to worry about too much if you're just starting. Each version has a few differences, but just choose the one with the cooler Pokemon on the cover.
---
Official Amnesiac Darkrai of the Pokemon X Board
You know why spiders know how to spin webs when they hatch? Because F*** You! That's why.
#10Lugoves(Topic Creator)Posted 10/16/2013 8:53:02 PM
Good stuff. Are the games RPG style?
---