This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Want to make sure I understand Super Training

#1TylerJMegaPosted 10/16/2013 10:01:14 PM
So I'm loving Pokemon X so far but I don't like the Super Training thing, but I think that might be because I don't totally understand it.

First, am I right that it's best to do all your Super Training right away when you get a Pokemon you plan to use for a while? That way the EV changes have the most time to affect the levels you gain? I read through the EV sticky and I get that EV changes are applied immediately, but I don't get if it's also good to do them before levelling up the Pokemon.

Second, I don't really get aiming and firing in the ball-shooting game. When you drag the pointer around it lets you aim, but as soon as you touch the touchscreen with the stylus it fires, so you can never really aim and fire. Is that intentional or am I missing something?
#2HalecticPosted 10/16/2013 10:02:10 PM
Level as no effect on EVs

You can EV train anytime you want
---
Digimon World Dawn FC 000111545835
#3furygodsPosted 10/16/2013 10:04:24 PM
It is absolutely best to maximize your EVs before lvling up your pokemon, why?

1) All forms of EXP gained by that pokemon gives EV points so it may stack unnecessary EV points that you may or may not want on the pokemon. This goes for EXP shared by EXP Share also.

2) After you have maximized your EVs, any battle or any form of EXP that pokemon gets will not get any EVs cause you maximized it already, allowing you to battle and share whatever EXP you want.

Aiming charged shots is easy once you get the hang of it.
---
With courage comes glory. With glory comes immortality.
#4NessEggmanPosted 10/16/2013 10:07:48 PM
The EVs are directly calculated into your stats. It doesn't matter when/if you level up. You will have the same final stats whether you do all your EV training at level 1 or level 100.

Like was said, the reason you don't want to level up is because every time you get EXP from a battle, you also get EVs. Unless you're specificallly trying to do this, they will most likely be unwanted EVs in the wrong stats.

And the aiming is just an example of a poorly-designed minigame. Of course, there's no way for the game to know where your stylus is if you're not touchin the screen, so the best you can do is drag to where you want and then start tapping or whatever.

However, holding down the stylus "charges up" your powerful shot, and letting go of the stylus when the charge is full (before it fails) will let loose the strong shot. With some Pokemon you can get like 900 points for scoring with a powerful shot.
---
"Earth is a silly place. Half the world has no clean water. And the other half has so much, they poo in it."
3DS FC: 2750 1911 5515
#5TylerJMega(Topic Creator)Posted 10/16/2013 10:11:30 PM
So EV training early is best if you want to really closely manage and tweak your EVs, but doesn't matter as far as levelling? I don't plan to closely modify them, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't losing benefit to overall strength by doing it later rather than earlier.

I get that practice makes the minigame easier, but I'd like to know if there's a better way to aim and fire than just kinda eyeballing it or wasting a shot to put the stylus back down after a shot.
#6NessEggmanPosted 10/16/2013 10:16:05 PM
TylerJMega posted...
So EV training early is best if you want to really closely manage and tweak your EVs, but doesn't matter as far as levelling? I don't plan to closely modify them, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't losing benefit to overall strength by doing it later rather than earlier.

I get that practice makes the minigame easier, but I'd like to know if there's a better way to aim and fire than just kinda eyeballing it or wasting a shot to put the stylus back down after a shot.

You're not really "wasting" a shot since you have unlimited and there's no penalty to shooting and missing. Plus, you want to use the powered up shots (which are fired after releasing the stylus after holding it for a while) more often, so it's OK to be holding it.

You have a maximum to number of EVs you can get (252 in a single stat, 510 overall) so the reason you want to make sure you get it all done at once is so you don't get, for example, a bunch of Special Attack EVs on a Pokemon like Staraptor who is not going to be using any Special Attacks. This will only decrease from the overall amount you can put into the important stats like Speed and Attack, because you have a limit. On the right side of the Super Training main screen (with the punching bag) there is a bar, and when that fills up (at 510 total points), you can no longer accumulate any EVs. You will be considered a "fully trained" Pokemon and can't do any more regular Super Training nor can you punch any bags that boost stats.

You can get "reset bags" that completely reset all your EVs to 0 and let you start over from the beginning, so you can just casually raise now and more seriously do your EVs later.
---
"Earth is a silly place. Half the world has no clean water. And the other half has so much, they poo in it."
#7AquaYoshi5634Posted 10/16/2013 10:19:15 PM(edited)
You can always easily reset the EVs later, too. Just have your Pokemon keep hitting the blank punching bag and it will find Training Bags. Keep an eye out for a blank white Reset bag; that will reset everything to 0 and let you redo it. Also, you don't have to get things absolutely perfect for the main story, but if the meter on the right gets more than an eighth of the way full before you do any EV training, you probably wanna reset.

My advice for the minigame is practice "tap-aiming"; I've been able to learn to tap on the bottom screen approximately where I should be aiming on the top- if I aim really well, I can sometimes go *tap tap tap tap* really fast and hit all of the goals nearly at once. Also, if you have trouble doing it that way, just use charged shots, which are really easy to aim.
---
Our brains are on fire with the feeling to kill, and it won't go away until we drink all your beers!
#8NessEggmanPosted 10/16/2013 10:20:31 PM
Oh, yeah, and like said, you don't need to worry about Super Training for the main story. I only EV trained my Probopass just because I love Probopass. But you can completely ignore it and you'll still be fine. My Pokemon's Evs are all really messed up but I still steamroll through every ingame battle.
---
#9AquaYoshi5634Posted 10/16/2013 10:23:20 PM
NessEggman posted...
Oh, yeah, and like said, you don't need to worry about Super Training for the main story. I only EV trained my Probopass just because I love Probopass. But you can completely ignore it and you'll still be fine. My Pokemon's Evs are all really messed up but I still steamroll through every ingame battle.

^That. Only EV train if you want overpowered Pokemon. EV training is really more for competitive play than anything else.
---
Our brains are on fire with the feeling to kill, and it won't go away until we drink all your beers!