This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Noivern competitive analysis. He's pretty much the best guy not named Aegislash.

#1itachi134Posted 10/18/2013 2:17:47 AM(edited)
80/80

Noivern is one of the Pokemon I was highly looking forward to using. Just look at him! He's a freaking half Dragon, half Bat! But for whatever reason, this guy is seriously being slept on. In fact, people even think that he sucks, but I can assure you that is not the case. In face, this is quite easily the best Pokemon introduced in Gen 6 aside from Aegislash who is just completely OP. First, lets talk about his stats.

Noivern
HP: 85
Atk: 70
Def: 80
SpA: 97
SpD: 80
Spd: 123

Wow. That Speed is unreal, he punks the guys that are supposed to be unpunkable in the speed category, like Alakazam, Tornadus-T and now even Greninja. On the topic of Tornadus-T, he is very comparable to Noivern. They both have 120+ base speed, and have high Sp.Atk and Flying type. Tornadus-T is noted for having a decent bit more power, as well as the godly Regenerator ability which says no to all his Stealth Rock damage. Very useful! So, how is Noivern supposed to top that? Well, he already does, but he does it in a less obvious way.

For starters, Noivern is also a Dragon type, giving him more resistances to types like Water and Fire, a neutrality to Electric and a 4x resist to Grass. His defenses may not be anything to write home about, but they are still sturdy enough that he can switch in on relevant moves like Scald and Flamethrower without taking too much damage. The Dragon type also gives him STAB on the all powerful Draco Meteor, letting him hit hard even without the constant need for Hurricane. Boomburst, while incapable of dealing Super Effective damage, is also notable as being a high power move that will usually be hitting for neutral damage.

Here's the next big thing. Abilities. Noivern's got 2 of them, and they are 2 that have a very big impact on the game.

Frisk- This ability shot up in viability so hard this time around. You can scope out any held item an opponent may have. With the addition of things like Mega stones, this is very valuable, as you will know when an opponent can Mega evolve, and when they may be trying to bluff you (IE: Tyranitar with Smooth Rock/Tyranitite) Other bluffs include Expert Belt instead of a Choice item, which is huge in that you will no longer be fooled. But my favorite of all is being able to scope Choice Scarf. Admit it. How many times have you been caught off guard by people who run the most ridiculously random scarfers? I've lost to Scarf Alakazam before. That's just pathetic. With Noivern on your side, nonsense like that will never happen again!

Infiltrator- Wow. Talk about a buff. This ability can now go through Substitute. That is huge guys. Substitute is by and far one of the most broken moves in the game, up there with stuff like Spore and Stealth Rock. On top of that, it still goes through defense buffs from moves like Calm Mind/Bulk Up, and it goes through Reflect/Light Screen. Ever played against Hyper Offense that just spams Dual Screen Azelf with 5 set up sweepers? Noivern makes those 2 turns the opponent painstakingly used up totally pointless. Also, I'm sure you've lost to something like CM Latias or maybe something random like Cosmic Power Clefable or something. Well guess what? Infiltrator gives you a fighting chance even when the chips are down in those instances.

Overall, this is a great Pokemon that personifies something that is very hard to come by in this game. The ability to not get randomly punk'd by people who use obscure things. Calling him a scout doesn't really do him justice, because he's a lot more than that. He can also do things that no other Pokemon can like laugh at Substitute and naturally outrun Tornadus-T. I'm looking forward to using this guy, especially seeing as how he's being sorely underestimated.

Grade: 10/10. Easily the best Pokemon ever designed, in terms of looks, potential, and balance.
---
If you're scared to die, then you're scared to live
#2itachi134(Topic Creator)Posted 10/18/2013 2:21:24 AM
Bumping because knowledge is power
---
#3xyzlacticPosted 10/18/2013 2:24:03 AM
Lovely design but bad stats. This will be Ru or UU but that's pushing it. No way noivern will be OU it's just too weak and outclassed
---
Homosexual Hipster of Smash Bros and Pokemon X and Y boards. G.A.Y = Good At Yugioh. Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/xyzlactic
#4newbiesamaPosted 10/18/2013 2:24:42 AM
So how well does Noivern work with Aegislash?

Not a competitive player, I'm legitimately curious about how the two would work.
---
3DS Friend Code: 3196-3392-3197
#5itachi134(Topic Creator)Posted 10/18/2013 2:28:30 AM
newbiesama posted...
So how well does Noivern work with Aegislash?

Not a competitive player, I'm legitimately curious about how the two would work.

You can expect Aegislash to get banned at some point in time, or at the very least his status as an OU will be debated on.

Honestly, Aegislash works well with anything. You can just slap him on your team and you are good to go. Of course, you can do a lot better than that if you think about how to use him even more effectively, but he's a very clear cut straight forward Pokemon to use.

Noivern would definitely be happy with SR and Spikes support. He is slightly weaker than Starmie, which is nuts because Draco Meteor > Hydro Pump unless its raining (and rain got nerfed) and he's also got Hurricane on top of that, which confuses like its secretly Dynamic Punch.

You can pretty much play Noivern like a superior Salamence, because that's generally what he is.
---
#6itachi134(Topic Creator)Posted 10/18/2013 2:30:28 AM
xyzlactic posted...
Lovely design but bad stats. This will be Ru or UU but that's pushing it. No way noivern will be OU it's just too weak and outclassed

How in the world are his stats bad? Is 97 attack not fancy enough for you? Would you like him to have 175 Sp.Atk and 200 Speed instead?

People don't realize what actually constitutes to power in this game. I'm very ashamed at the level of theorymonning that goes on in this game.
---
#7ShadowUmbreon42Posted 10/18/2013 2:38:27 AM
People think if it is not base 100 all then it is a bad pokemon lol @community
---
Being yourself is the greatest thing. Do not let anyone tell you different.
3DS FC: 2277-7277-6375
#8itachi134(Topic Creator)Posted 10/18/2013 2:40:44 AM
ShadowUmbreon42 posted...
People think if it is not base 100 all then it is a bad pokemon lol @community

Pretty much
---
#9NakkaruPosted 10/18/2013 2:40:51 AM
I'm breeding a bunch of Noibats to share across WT! I'm not a competitive player by any means, but what kind of nature do you think I should aim for?
---
Pokemon X + AC:NL ~ 3668-7694-5178 ~ Slugma, Braixen, and Pansear [Safari]
PM me anytime, especially if you add me! Looking for active, friendly players.
#10itachi134(Topic Creator)Posted 10/18/2013 2:48:47 AM
Nakkaru posted...
I'm breeding a bunch of Noibats to share across WT! I'm not a competitive player by any means, but what kind of nature do you think I should aim for?

Timid is best
---