This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Enemy Pokemon taking damage in weird ways...

#1codya30Posted 10/18/2013 8:16:54 AM
So, I was fighting the first gym, the bug one, and I was fighting the various inhabitants with my Froakie. If you use only one move it only takes a small slice of damage. If you keep using different moves, tho, that have the same strength (Pound, Quick Attack, <Physical, and Bubble <Special), it takes off huge amounts. I don't remember previous games doing that. Anybody know what's up?
---
huzzah the poobah! oranges are oranges and nut cakes aren't fruit cakes...
GT: TurqoiseSage3 & 3DS: 0817 4127 2973
#2MogKnightAzurePosted 10/18/2013 8:23:36 AM(edited)
codya30 posted...
So, I was fighting the first gym, the bug one, and I was fighting the various inhabitants with my Froakie. If you use only one move it only takes a small slice of damage. If you keep using different moves, tho, that have the same strength (Pound, Quick Attack, <Physical, and Bubble <Special), it takes off huge amounts. I don't remember previous games doing that. Anybody know what's up?

Physical attacks run off your attack stat and hit your opponents defense stats. Special attacks run off your special attack stat and hit your opponents special defense. Attacks that are the same type as the user get a 50% damage bonus. So naturally.. depending on your stats and your opponents stats, some attacks will do more than others, it's not nearly as simple as looking at the base power of an attack.

Also if you were using bubble on surskit, surskit would resist that and take minimal damage from it. Vivillon also has superior special defense and would probably take more damage from Pound or Quick Attack.
#3FredCat07Posted 10/18/2013 8:24:06 AM
MogKnightAzure posted...
codya30 posted...

Physical attacks run off your attack stat and hit your opponents defense stats. Special attacks run off your special attack stat and hit your opponents special defense. Attacks that are the same type as the user get a 50% damage bonus. So naturally.. depending on your stats and your opponents stats, some attacks will do more than others, it's not nearly as simple as looking at the base power of an attack.

Also if you were using bubble on surskit, surskit would resist that and take minimal damage from it. Vivillon also has superior special defense and would probably take more damage from Pound or Quick Attack.

As well as using Bubble on Onix, it went down like a bunch of paper blown off by the hurricane.
---
American Sign Language is my primary language - deal with it!
"ESL" is standing for "English Sign Language", period.
#4codya30(Topic Creator)Posted 10/18/2013 8:29:22 AM
That's not what I'm saying at all....
I'm saying that if I use any one of the the three moves, it will do a little damage. Use another move, it'll do more damage, then use the first move again, it will do a lot of damage. Any combination of those moves were doing it, even when not using the one that's special.
---
#5FredCat07Posted 10/18/2013 8:30:52 AM
codya30 posted...
That's not what I'm saying at all....
I'm saying that if I use any one of the the three moves, it will do a little damage. Use another move, it'll do more damage, then use the first move again, it will do a lot of damage. Any combination of those moves were doing it, even when not using the one that's special.

It's call Weakness and Resistance. Weakness is what making damage big and Resistance is an opposite effect to Weakness - making damage so tiny.
---
#6codya30(Topic Creator)Posted 10/18/2013 8:45:27 AM
Okay. Is there someplace I can view information on that?
---
#7FredCat07Posted 10/18/2013 8:46:13 AM
pokemon wikia

serbii

bulbapedia

Take your pick
---
#8chiefilliniwekPosted 10/18/2013 8:49:48 AM
Is what you're saying that if you spam the same move over and over that it decreases in power?
#9x Maelstrom xPosted 10/18/2013 9:14:46 AM
Sounds like OP is describing diminishing returns on the power of moves. Can't say I've noticed it myself.
---
Your destruction is the will of the gods... oh, and we're going to steal your flag, btw. - Devil Mingy, on playing as Elites in Halo 2
#10Sticky_DerpPosted 10/18/2013 9:38:50 AM(edited)
op is saying that the damage moves do is changing
i.e. [random attack names, not specific] he uses Tackle, then Pound, then Tackle
and tackle does more damage the second time

am i right, tc?

either you're using stat altering moves or leveling up or critting or just imagining things
---
Fox news get's a pass because they have to go against reality's liberal bias. - SilentS89