This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How Do EVs Improve Pokemon Games?

#1anthonycgPosted 10/19/2013 10:03:42 PM
I haven't played these games since Ruby and Sapphire and even then I didn't know anything about EV training. What I don't understand is what these actually bring to the strategy of the game. My view of the strategy of pokemon came from the many types, elements, sheer number of moves and species in the game. It was my view that with such a large pool of possibilities that the thought of tiers would be a non-issue and especially in a game of over 600 characters. I have heard rumors that around only 50 pokemon are actually useful. Hopefully that is not true.

From a short rreview of EVs I think they add an artificial element to the game that keeps players from actually getting to the core of the game. First I find the idea of perfect pokemon contrary to the entire theme of pokemon and it simply reinforces Giovanni's idea that pokemon are simply tools. Breeding pokemon and throwing out the ones that don't level correctly sounds rather morbid. From a mathematical standpoint I can only see EVs as a device that simply causes pokemon to do more damage, take less damage or increase speed. However by simply increasing stat values (something that is very common in JRPGS) the devs do no more than increase the gap between species. This seems rather unnecessary. In fact I think the game would be better off without EVs.

Instead of making pokemon proverbial bullet sponges all that is necessary is capping the values. For example if all stats were capped at 300 the general strategy of the game would not change. By reducing damage and healing to reflect the cap you would create an environment in which far more pokemon would be viable competitively - quite similar to the environment from Red, Blue and Yellow.

EVs have also backfired in their initial job of making pokemon unique. Players simply pursue the ones with a "better" personality defeating the purpose entirely. Instead of making stats based on personality they could give them ballpark high and low figures with spontaneous points of increase or decrease around these figures. This would make pokemon actually seem organic rather than equations to be solved. There would be no way to really pursue a set value because there wouldn't be any. To take a real life example, even if two twins set out on the exact same weight training regimen they would not turn out exactly the same. Why should pokemon be any different?

Finally I find EV training tedious and from all my other points I don't find it to be a worthwhile endeavor. They only seem to make values higher which is a common way of creating artificial difficulty and length in games.

I don't really see how EVs are beneficial to pokemon.
#2RaikuroPosted 10/19/2013 10:04:39 PM
EVs are fine, especially with Super Training. It's IVs that are a pain in the butt.
---
3DS: 5000-2730-2081 pkmnX
#3GeminiDeusPosted 10/19/2013 10:05:16 PM
All RPG characters have stat variables and ways of increasing their stats. This is just Pokemon's version and adds a bit more variety than other RPGs.
---
El Nido - Xaniara
#4ptreemf12Posted 10/19/2013 10:06:54 PM
I'm not even a competitive player and I'm okay with EVs. It's IVs I have a problem with -_-

Remove IVs and I'm set.
---
Every dang time...
#5finaleusPosted 10/19/2013 10:07:03 PM
anthonycg posted...
Instead of making pokemon proverbial bullet sponges all that is necessary is capping the values. For example if all stats were capped at 300 the general strategy of the game would not change.

EVs have also backfired in their initial job of making pokemon unique.

the contradictions here amaze me

also, red/blue/yellow didnt make all pokemon viable for comeptitive, it was completely broken

if anything, newer games have contributed to the balance more with dream world abilities, the vastly increased movepools, etc etc
#6ThunderPotatoPosted 10/19/2013 10:08:25 PM
EVs and Natures actually allow for some different build types for certain Pokemon. IVs on the other hand make the process more tedious, though much less so in that last few gens.
---
FC: 2535-3679-4793
PM me your FC for Friend Safari!
#7rojsePosted 10/19/2013 10:08:51 PM
EV's let you train many pokemon in various roles, and you can make your poke a combination of you speedier, stronger or bulkier, which makes for nice strategy.

And you can change your EVs any time in this game, even if your pokes are L100.
#8oMaJoJPosted 10/19/2013 10:09:03 PM
Raikuro posted...
EVs are fine, especially with Super Training. It's IVs that are a pain in the butt.

Seriously, it's easier than it's ever been. IVs are likely always going to be an issue the way they currently are. If you want to bond with your pokemon and see them as more than tools, Pokemon Aime is a shoulder button click away.
---
3DS Friend Code - 0705-3026-9968, Give me a PM first but feel free to add me
#9Zetathekitsune2Posted 10/19/2013 10:11:58 PM
EVs allow for the variation and customization of pokemon and the only thing keeping it from being a colorful game of rock paper scissors
---
3DS FC:4940-6711-9785
#10Banchou-kunPosted 10/19/2013 10:13:13 PM
anthonycg posted...
First I find the idea of perfect pokemon contrary to the entire theme of pokemon and it simply reinforces Giovanni's idea that pokemon are simply tools. Breeding pokemon and throwing out the ones that don't level correctly sounds rather morbid.

Finally I find EV training tedious and from all my other points I don't find it to be a worthwhile endeavor. They only seem to make values higher which is a common way of creating artificial difficulty and length in games.

I don't really see how EVs are beneficial to pokemon.

Well first of all, most breeders in the real world breed animals for the best traits. They don't murder the pups that don't have the shiniest coats or sweaters, they give em away or sell em as pets. Its the same with pokemon for the most part. Wonder trade can be a pretty nice surprise when you get a really nice but not perfect pokemon in the trade or you can release them into the wild.

Regardless of how you think of some pokemon there are tiers of usefullness when it comes to battling. EV training can make pokemon with less than noteworthy stats a bit more competitive or make excellent pokemon even more frightening. If your favorite pokemon kinda sucks because of its base stats you can EV train it with super training and make it shine again. True it just makes OP pokemon more OP but thats why there are battling tiers. Smogon rules are kinda the default i think when it comes to competitive play.

Its like multiplayer in other games. Some/most people buy games like Halo and CoD for the multiplayer and ignore the campaign. A lot of ppl plays mmos for just the pvp and ignore the story. Pokemon has both, you play the campaign and if you want something a bit more challenging you work for it and go join the competitive players.
---
PSN: ToukaiD28 - Drag dog Pawn: Jenny
3DS FC: 3282-2292-6909 Pokemon X Safari: Grass - Tangela, Sawsbuck, Gogoat.