This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How Do EVs Improve Pokemon Games?

#21SingertonPosted 10/19/2013 10:42:08 PM
EV's create more depth and controllable customization in multiplayer battles.

IV's do not improve current Pokemon games in any way.

They never have.
#22anthonycg(Topic Creator)Posted 10/19/2013 11:25:57 PM
Katharina27 posted...
Here, let me explain the system because you don't understand it. Lets use Vaporeon as an example. A regular Vaporeon with no boosts of any kind would look like this.

HP- 370
Atk- 135
Def- 125
Sp. Atk- 225
Sp. Def- 195
Spd- 135

Say somebody wanted her to be a wall but only wanted to breed for 3 perfect stats and a good nature because breeding for more would take longer than they were comfortable with. They also trained this Pokemon. They decided that the 3 most important stats were HP/ Def/ Sp. Def. Vaporeon might look something like this.

HP- 433
Atk- 121
Def- 206
Sp. Atk- 225
Sp. Def- 196
Spd- 135

Now what if somebody else decided to use Vaporeon as a Sweeper and decided that her most important stats were going to be HP/ Sp. Atk/ Spd? She may look something like this.

HP- 371
Atk- 121
Def- 125
Sp. Atk- 316
Sp. Def- 195
Spd- 198

These are not standard spreads but do you see how much room that gives me to play with one Pokemon? Some Pokemon will always be one trick ponies but just because there is a standard spread on a Pokemon out there doesn't mean we have to use it. These Vaporeons are completely different from each other. If the trainer is anything like me, they then take this Pokemon, make it like them, maybe play with the Pokemon in this lovely new nintendogs feature and deck them out in ribbons. Does that sound like Giovanni to you? I didn't think so.

Well I doubt you are getting that "perfect" eevee on the first hatch. But I will go with the breeding analogy and assume the other eevees are given away as pets lol.

Anyway I should have put IVs in the title instead of EVs. Sorry.
#23Banchou-kunPosted 10/19/2013 11:52:58 PM
IVs have always kind of sucked but they make more sense in a breeding term. IV or individual values are unique to each pokemon. In pokemon x & y they cap at 31 per stat. Breeding a perfect pokemon is a lot easier now thanks to the new mechanics like the Destiny knot and everstone trick added awhile back, but still very time consuming and rewarding for us breeders. Makes us wanna pull our hair out at times but eh, its still fun. W/o it id prolly of put down my game a few days ago since i beat the elite for in 2 days heh...I enjoy it.

When breeding dogs for Eukenuba or w/e the dog show is called breeders are very careful when they pick the parents. Making sure every trait is as perfect as can be, and even some of the kids from these near perfect parents might be worse off than any parent. It takes a lot of effort for "marginal" boosts. For instance a pokemon with very high Sp.atk who doesnt use physical moves wont need a perfect Attack IV so u can sorta ignore that particular stat. high/perfect IVs and nature are most important to have in the stats ur pokemon specializes in.

Its still just more depth in favor of the game to have IVs and EVs otherwise all pokemon would be bland clones of each other and lose their individuality. And people would be using cookie cutter builds with most coverage than what they use now, Varied builds with lots of coverage.

Some pokemon are just better than others in terms of stats, not all pokemon are created equal. Its just a fact, but how you use your pokemon is still more important. You could have the most powerful team ever and still be beaten if you don't use your skills well.
---
PSN: ToukaiD28 - Drag dog Pawn: Jenny
3DS FC: 3282-2292-6909 Pokemon X Safari: Grass - Tangela, Sawsbuck, Gogoat.
#24hyjinx17Posted 10/20/2013 12:03:10 AM
anthonycg posted...
Katharina27 posted...
Here, let me explain the system because you don't understand it. Lets use Vaporeon as an example. A regular Vaporeon with no boosts of any kind would look like this.

HP- 370
Atk- 135
Def- 125
Sp. Atk- 225
Sp. Def- 195
Spd- 135

Say somebody wanted her to be a wall but only wanted to breed for 3 perfect stats and a good nature because breeding for more would take longer than they were comfortable with. They also trained this Pokemon. They decided that the 3 most important stats were HP/ Def/ Sp. Def. Vaporeon might look something like this.

HP- 433
Atk- 121
Def- 206
Sp. Atk- 225
Sp. Def- 196
Spd- 135

Now what if somebody else decided to use Vaporeon as a Sweeper and decided that her most important stats were going to be HP/ Sp. Atk/ Spd? She may look something like this.

HP- 371
Atk- 121
Def- 125
Sp. Atk- 316
Sp. Def- 195
Spd- 198

These are not standard spreads but do you see how much room that gives me to play with one Pokemon? Some Pokemon will always be one trick ponies but just because there is a standard spread on a Pokemon out there doesn't mean we have to use it. These Vaporeons are completely different from each other. If the trainer is anything like me, they then take this Pokemon, make it like them, maybe play with the Pokemon in this lovely new nintendogs feature and deck them out in ribbons. Does that sound like Giovanni to you? I didn't think so.

Well I doubt you are getting that "perfect" eevee on the first hatch. But I will go with the breeding analogy and assume the other eevees are given away as pets lol.

Anyway I should have put IVs in the title instead of EVs. Sorry.

I mean there is no "Kill this pokemon option" available to you. You can trade it or release it.

Also people within the pokemon game do eat pokemon just fyi. Yes it's cannon. Started in gold and silver with Team Rocket cutting off slowpoke tales and selling them for human consumption and stretches all the way to X and Y and the 3 star restaurants serving you those same delicacies.
---
FC 3883-5502-4640. PM if you add me
#25IndigoIcePosted 10/20/2013 12:10:32 AM
It's an extra thing for rpg to play with. They know that players love getting "higher" stats or ocd to perfection. So they added all these IVs and EVs to make perfectionist players to sink more time. It's optional for me since I can't sink too much time.