This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Are "perfect IVs" required to stand a chance online?

#1IcewitchPosted 10/20/2013 12:32:56 AM
I've been breeding for IVs (only yesterday did I even find out what they are) and the best I've done is perfect stats in 4 categories. Do I absolutely need 5 or 6 if I want to win any matches at all? Or is this more of a tiny leg up sort of thing? If I'm lacking them in categories I don't plan to use (say Sp. Atk on a physical attacker) is it really a big deal?
---
^.^
#2BassGSXPosted 10/20/2013 12:33:54 AM
Icewitch posted...
I've been breeding for IVs (only yesterday did I even find out what they are) and the best I've done is perfect stats in 4 categories. Do I absolutely need 5 or 6 if I want to win any matches at all? Or is this more of a tiny leg up sort of thing? If I'm lacking them in categories I don't plan to use (say Sp. Atk on a physical attacker) is it really a big deal?

This board's population is the minority. There are millions of casual players online that don't know or don't bother with IV and EVs.
---
3DS Friend Code: 0748-1612-0836
#3LightHawKnightPosted 10/20/2013 12:37:00 AM
You really only need speed to be maxed, the rest can rot, well I mean be average.
---
The Official Odin of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board.
"You know how confusing the whole good-evil concept is for me."
#4jimmyjones69Posted 10/20/2013 12:37:10 AM
By no means do I think perfect IVs are required just to stand a fighting chance. However if you can get perfect IVs in the most important stats (like Speed and Attack/Sp.Attack) and decent defensive stats then I would say that's enough.

However if you're willing to go the distance then a perfect mon would be amazing to have. Personally I'm happy with 4 perfect IVs that I want.
---
3DS Friend Code: 3437-4053-9330
#5MaplesGrandGMPosted 10/20/2013 12:37:42 AM
It's not really a "tiny leg up." It's a huge difference when it comes to stats you will be using directly, or that Pokemon use in general, such as speed. Two exact same Pokemon, with just 1 point difference in speed makes a world of difference, as if you are both doing the same damage, with the same attacks, it's the one that goes first that gets the KO.

Now, when it comes to stats you won't use at all, which is best speaking on Special Attack or Attack, then it doesn't matter, since those stats won't play any role in your side of the battle.

Do you need perfect IVs across the board? Probably not, if you want to do serious battling, the more max IVs you have the better. If you want random match-ups online, then you'll likely get by just fine with those 4 max stats. Just be prepared for the fact that someone out there will have gone further than you, and you may be beat, so accept a few loses here and there.
---
3DS FC: 2852-8061-6986
Currently Playing: Pokemon X/Y - Let me know if you add me, so I can add you!
#6BriSawPosted 10/20/2013 12:37:52 AM
Pretty much what the other poster said, but if your playing against someone else who iv breeds, mising 1 or 2 of you least used stats won't kill you. As long as you do the defences and your pokemons main atk stat you should be fine.
---
Gamertag: BeastOfTheDark PSN: BeastOfTheLight
Xbox360 100%: 14 games. PS3 100%: 1 game. Other 100%: 18 games. Most Recent 100%: DeadRising 2 Case Zero
#7SingertonPosted 10/21/2013 1:18:04 AM
No and yes.

Perfect IV's are not required in Atk, Sp. Atk, Def, or Sp. Def. Good IV's are, as well as being an above average battler if you will not be maxing these IV's.

Perfect HP will be required for Pokemon utilizing 404 Substitutes, otherwise see above.

Perfect Speed is absolutely necessary.
#8Dante2049Posted 10/21/2013 1:19:04 AM
BassGSX posted...
Icewitch posted...

This board's population is the minority. There are millions of casual players online that don't know or don't bother with IV and EVs.

i am one who only cares for natures not IVs :)
---
"It is the same for anyone As long as you are dreaming, the dream will never reveal itself to you."-Zinzolin
#9DarkHeroRavenPosted 10/21/2013 1:20:59 AM
Icewitch posted...

4 perfect IVs within a single day of even finding out what they are

Not bad, not bad at all

That said, 4 IVs is dandy for online, if they're in the relevant stats
---
http://backloggery.com/RavenTheObsidian
#10FafnirPosted 10/21/2013 1:33:32 AM(edited)
Speed being at 31 is an absolute must if you intend on playing competitively. There are some exceptions, and you can make up with EVs if your intended build (ie, assuming perfect IVs) doesn't already require full speed investment (for example, say your intended build required 76 speed EVs, but you had 28 speed IVs. You could move 12 extra EVs over to speed with little issue. On the other hand, if your intended build required 252 speed, there's nothing you can do be breed a new one), but speed is so important that you absolutely have to reach very specific benchmarks.

As an ingame example, my Blastoise is Quiet (+Sp.A, -Spe) with only a 24 IV in speed. This can be somewhat problematic. But looking at the various speed threats that exist, I can easily put in enough IVs to beat Jellecient (this one is very important for Blastoise) and Scizor without compromising the rest of my build.

Other stats tend to give you considerably more leeway. Anything at 26 or higher tends to be pretty passable. Additionally, if you're not going to be using a specific stat, your IV doesn't really matter in it. For example, if you're running a physical sweeper, its Sp.A stat might as well be non-existant.

Similarly, sweepers tend to be very fragile anyways, so defensive IVs can be treated quite leniently. If Lucario dies in one hit from anything anyway, why bother worrying about his defenses? Of course, when taking into account this lenience, it's important to know what your various threats are. If it turns out that, despite not focusing in a stat, your pokemon can take an extra hit from a significant threat with the right defensive IV spread, you sure as hell better be sure that you hit it.

HP can be somewhat finicky. You can usually treat it as most of the other stats listed above, but some builds require hitting certain breakpoints in order to have optimal substitute usage, among other things. In these cases, you would handle it exactly as you would speed.
---
PSN: TheManingrey
ACVD ID: Wintermute / 3DS FC: 0860-4081-6465