This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why does Game Freak sometimes abandon new features?

#1ThatKippPosted 10/20/2013 9:05:19 AM
They introduced gender differences in Diamond & Pearl, but barely any new Pokemon since then have gender differences. The day/night cycle and weekdays were not present in Ruby & Sapphire. Now seasons are gone. Why don't they build on what's there instead of throwing in random crap they'll forget about anyway?
---
They call me Wonder-Handsome
3DS FC: 3609-1237-6725
#2grape_purplePosted 10/20/2013 9:06:18 AM
I hope they don't get rid of super training for future generations. Or if they do, at least replace it with an even better alternative.
---
http://images.wikia.com/dragonball/images/d/d4/GokuBeeGif.gif
#3TorchicBlazikenPosted 10/20/2013 9:07:06 AM
Not just seasons, but the wonder launcher.
#4MasajubPosted 10/20/2013 9:07:09 AM
Also functional things like, the Daycare guy stopping you when he's holding an egg. Turning around isn't good enough. Also, why can't you call the professor and ask how things evolve so you don't have to look it up and risk spoiling what the evo looks like?

I'm going to look like a fool if those things are in the game and I missed it.
#5BabyQuailPosted 10/20/2013 9:09:10 AM
I kinda miss the Pokemon den/base thing, they could have expanded on that and made it more useful somehow.
---
Pokemon X - Friend Code: 2895-7437-6563
Trainer name: Hali.
#6MilsoPosted 10/20/2013 9:11:45 AM
The seasons were a bad idea. They didn't effect enough and most people don't play the game long enough (except for hatching/training, were these things don't matter at all) to see the changes. This isn't Animal Crossing. Making a varied region with different climates was a better idea.

As for some of the other features.. there's two teams who work on the games. The guys who do the remakes/third versions have more time to implement new ideas and build on existing features.
---
rawr
#7Unown_201Posted 10/20/2013 9:12:28 AM
It is a shame, and it's not like they can't afford it...Pokemon is one of the best selling series there is, so money/resources shouldn't be much of an issue...

I can see character customization going next gen, seems like the sort of thing they would remove, instead of building on...

Lots of things were good but never seen again, like secret bases and pokemon following you etc
#8Unown_201Posted 10/20/2013 9:17:41 AM
Milso posted...
The seasons were a bad idea. They didn't effect enough and most people don't play the game long enough (except for hatching/training, were these things don't matter at all) to see the changes. This isn't Animal Crossing. Making a varied region with different climates was a better idea.

As for some of the other features.. there's two teams who work on the games. The guys who do the remakes/third versions have more time to implement new ideas and build on existing features.

The fact the idea had problems the first time should be a reason to improve it, not scrap it...

Make seasons weekly and have a greater effect on the pokemon that appear, and also have more places that can only be accessed in certain seasons. More Animal Crossing type features would be great.
#9AldathPosted 10/20/2013 9:22:22 AM
-Pokemon Following You
-Contests
-Secret Bases
-Pokeathlon

And many others... Plus they removed the Legendary Triad from this game, and I BET we won't have Super Traning, Amie nor Character Customization next gen.
---
"imagine if Metallica got together with the Power Rangers and the coolest kids in school and had a party in your mouth, and you were invited" THE_WIND
#10DrunkenWhalePosted 10/20/2013 9:52:59 AM
Unown_201 posted...
I can see character customization going next gen, seems like the sort of thing they would remove, instead of building on...

Lots of things were good but never seen again, like secret bases and pokemon following you etc

I see Amie being removed next Gen. Trainer Customization too, but that will most likely return somewhere else down the line.

They experimented with it during Gen IV with Pokemon Battle Revolution for the Wii and considering Pokemon is a huge social game, I wouldn't doubt it would return later on.

As far as other removed features, Secret Bases while interesting in itself was limited to about four people you linked with and swapped records with. It did return in Gen IV but it was massively downgraded to being only available in the Underground (a feature that was removed that no one seems to be mentioning.) and the fact you can't remotely battle the trainer inside. (As you're supposed to be playing with them locally)

Contests will most likely make a return if there's a Ruby/Sapphire remake since the Ribbons, which never really left but remained unseen from HGSS beyond until now, resonated more with the contests than anything else.

Pokeathlon was a nice little set of mini-games, but that's really all they were, and we've got mini-games in the form of Super Training and Amie's mini-games.

Walking Pokemon (the official term for Pokemon following you BTW) was in my opinion the best feature they had. Though I felt they only did it to make HGSS feel special in that regard. And the idea wouldn't translate as well in 3D as it did with 2D sprites.

They took out the WIFI plaza from Platinum/HG/SS. That was pretty fun for Mini-games but like I stated they have Amie and such for that now (which will be replaced with Mini-games in later titles.)

They also took out the Poke'tch, which was pretty decent for Happiness checking and knowing when the Egg is in the Daycare... Also for Roaming legendaries...

While Seasons was a decent aesthetic and gameplay change (taking away the Day/Night Pokemon encounter system from gen 2 and gen 4) it was largely useless for the most part as it didn't change much other than certain pokemon being available in certain locations and most of those affected were mainly Ice, Water, and Grass types.
---
I really never use signatures to be honest, but I figured I would put one here anyway.