This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Adamant Protean Greninja

#1Meb3emzPosted 10/20/2013 3:11:15 PM
What stats and moves would you give it?

I also got a Modest Torrent Froakie, may come in handy if I don't find a good physical moveset.

I am thinking if Physical: Waterfall, Bounce, Night Slash, Met Block (maybe?) with 252 in Attk and 252 in Spd and 4 in HP

If Modest: Hydro Pump, Dark Pulse, Extrasensory, Calm Mind (not sure about Calm Mind though) with 252 in Sp. Attk, 252 in Spd and 4 in HP

Opinions and thought people
---
Pokemon X FC: 2449-6056-6665
Fighting Type Safari
#2JonbazookabozPosted 10/20/2013 3:13:19 PM
Those sound good to me. I went with pretty much that exact sp att and speed set up
---
"If PAC-MAN had affected us kids, we'd all be running around in dark rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music!"
#3Meb3emz(Topic Creator)Posted 10/20/2013 3:15:25 PM
Jonbazookaboz posted...
Those sound good to me. I went with pretty much that exact sp att and speed set up

What do you think would be better? Should I go with Physical or Special?
---
Fighting Type Safari
#4Hackstorm97Posted 10/20/2013 3:16:57 PM
I'm pretty sure Greninja has better base Sp.Atk stats versus Atk so I think you're better off making a Special Attacker.
---
3DS FC - 1075-0752-7120
3DS XL FC - 2423-3100-6631
#5XatineroPosted 10/20/2013 3:20:17 PM(edited)
With Protean, you don't need to keep its two normal STABs. I like this set, although its a bit gimmicky:

Greninja @ Fighting Gem/Flying Gem
EVs: 252 Atk/252 Speed/6 HP
Nature: Adamant/Jolly
Ability: Protean
- Waterfall/Night Slash/Shadow Sneak/Water Shuriken
- U-turn
- Power-up Punch
- Acrobatics

The idea is to come into something that will die to Power-Up Punch, so you get that attack boost that Greninja sort of needs (90 Base Attack is pretty average, even with a +Attack nature). From there, with its high speed, you can sweep comfortably. U-turn is there to keep momentum, and Acrobatics will be useful since you'll have no item after using it or Power-Up Punch, plus you'll gain an immunity to ground.

The first move is your preference. Priority is always good, since choice scarf is a thing. Shadow Sneak, especially, since you'll gain immunity to both normal and fighting moves. The mindgames this thing can bring to the table man haha.

EDIT: This is for Physical Greninja obviously, which in my opinion is a lot more fun and versatile (movepool wise) than Special Greninja, although Special Greninja is a bit stronger, and possibly more reliable.
---
FC: 1650-1657-1108 | Pokemon X: Justin
Call me Xat :D
#6Meb3emz(Topic Creator)Posted 10/20/2013 3:19:25 PM
Hackstorm97 posted...
I'm pretty sure Greninja has better base Sp.Atk stats versus Atk so I think you're better off making a Special Attacker.

But I am tempted by the Protean ability, I don;t have it on my Modest Froakie
---
Fighting Type Safari
#7Meb3emz(Topic Creator)Posted 10/20/2013 3:24:46 PM
Xatinero posted...
With Protean, you don't need to keep its two normal STABs. I like this set, although its a bit gimmicky:

- U-turn
- Power-up Punch
- Acrobatics

The idea is to come into something that will die to Power-Up Punch, so you get that attack boost that Greninja sort of needs (90 Base Attack is pretty average, even with a +Attack nature). From there, with its high speed, you can sweep comfortably. U-turn is there to keep momentum, and Acrobatics will be useful since you'll have no item after using it or Power-Up Punch, plus you'll gain an immunity to ground.

The first move is your preference. Priority is always good, since choice scarf is a thing. Shadow Sneak, especially, since you'll gain immunity to both normal and fighting moves. The mindgames this thing can bring to the table man haha.

EDIT: This is for Physical Greninja obviously, which in my opinion is a lot more fun and versatile (movepool wise) than Special Greninja, although Special Greninja is a bit stronger, and possibly more reliable.

MA MAN, THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I WAS THINKING =D

So Physical it is, I checked on pokemondb the stats and it turns out that Greninja has 110 in sp attk and 90 in attk so it's not that much a big of difference since you got a move like Power-up Punch =D

I think I am more comfortable with that guy as Physical, because adding to of the above, Acrobatics covers more type weaknesses than Extrasensory, which is a BIG plus to this moveset!!!
---
Fighting Type Safari
#8XatineroPosted 10/20/2013 3:26:56 PM
Meb3emz posted...
Xatinero posted...

- U-turn
- Power-up Punch
- Acrobatics

So Physical it is, I checked on pokemondb the stats and it turns out that Greninja has 110 in sp attk and 90 in attk so it's not that much a big of difference since you got a move like Power-up Punch =D

I think I am more comfortable with that guy as Physical, because adding to of the above, Acrobatics covers more type weaknesses than Extrasensory, which is a BIG plus to this moveset!!!

:D! Glad you liked it. Yeah, Greninja is my new favorite pokemon designwise and it is looking to be pretty awesome competitively too. I also think that Physical Greninja is so much cooler than Special Greninja :P. Dat Acrobatics animation is beautiful.
---
#9Meb3emz(Topic Creator)Posted 10/20/2013 3:30:41 PM
Xatinero posted...
Meb3emz posted...
Xatinero posted...

- U-turn
- Power-up Punch
- Acrobatics

:D! Glad you liked it. Yeah, Greninja is my new favorite pokemon designwise and it is looking to be pretty awesome competitively too. I also think that Physical Greninja is so much cooler than Special Greninja :P. Dat Acrobatics animation is beautiful.

One last question, would you put Bounce instead of Acrobatics or not?
---
Fighting Type Safari
#10XatineroPosted 10/20/2013 3:33:43 PM
Meb3emz posted...
Xatinero posted...
Meb3emz posted...
Xatinero posted...

- U-turn
- Power-up Punch
- Acrobatics

One last question, would you put Bounce instead of Acrobatics or not?

Acrobatics after using your item, becomes 110 BP, not including the STAB bonus and is a one turn move. Bounce may be useful for the paralysis chance, but i don't like giving the enemy a turn they can use protect/shield move and/or setup with Swords Dance or something.
---