This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

High fishing chains = higher shiny chance? Results inside

#1Lucidious89Posted 10/20/2013 7:59:40 PM
On Route 16 there is a Fishing Shack. Inside, there is a Fisherman who challenges you to beat his consecutive fishing streak of 7, to receive some Dive Balls from him. Well, I did this and followed his hints (fishing in spots surrounded with rocks and such) to help increase my streak, and I eventually got a streak of 13 before screwing up. Either way, I beat his record and went back to collect my prize.

However, once I did, he said something that piqued my curiosity:

"This is just a rumor, but word is that you can catch some rare Pokemon through consecutive fishing!"

Interesting.

So, I devised an experiment to try and figure out exactly what he meant. I got a Pokemon with Suction Cups and put it at the head of my party (if you didn't know, the Suction Cups ability increases the chance of finding things while fishing), found the perfect spot to fish that matched his previous advice (south of Ambrette Town, in front of the rock that prevents you from surfing any further), and began my fishing streak.

Everything seemed normal until I hit streak 37. Shiny Dragalge. Cool! But, I didn't think it was necessarily connected to anything. I ended my streak to go check on my new shiny in my PC, and then head back to fishing again.

Again, everything seems normal until I start going beyond 30 in my streak (i was getting tired and lost count). Another. Shiny. Dragalge. Interesting...

I know this doesn't really prove anything either way, but I found it curious. What do you guys think? Anyone else willing to spend time testing this out?
#2Zetathekitsune2Posted 10/20/2013 8:00:46 PM
I'll test it but I'm not sure how to fish in chains. Also where is your fishing spot tc?
---
3DS FC:4940-6711-9785
#3ExpiredmilkPosted 10/20/2013 8:00:53 PM
I was fishing for heartscales and ended up finding a shiny luvdisc after going through several of them. Don't know how reliable that is but yeah.
---
3153-4212-5582
#4FuneralCakePosted 10/20/2013 8:01:30 PM
Hm. I'll have to try that sometime.

This sounds like chaining with the Pokeradar but with fishing instead. It's cool that there's a way to chain in water now.
---
YOU WANT SOME FUNERAL TO GO WITH THAT CAKE?
3DS FC: 3437 - 4335 - 3104
#5masterchris001Posted 10/20/2013 8:01:55 PM
This is interesting I may give it a go
---
GT: Craigaknight
3ds FC: 2878 9701 3187
#6Meta289Posted 10/20/2013 8:02:49 PM
When you mean fishing streak, do you mean consistently catching the same Pokemon, or just successfully catching a Pokemon repeatedly?
---
R.I.P. Pokemon Cycle
Fact: Things are so much better when taken at face value.
#7rontifuPosted 10/20/2013 8:03:35 PM
Catching/defeating the same pokemon in a row.
#8Lucidious89(Topic Creator)Posted 10/20/2013 8:07:17 PM
A fishing chain is simply fishing consecutively back-to-back without ever getting the "not even a nibble" message, or screwing up the timing pressing A. You have to get into a battle back to back every time you cast your rod.

I don't know if running from the battles, stoping to save or open a menu, or leaving and coming back ruins the streak. All I know is that I fought 37 battles back to back without ever missing any or pausing between each battle.

As for my fishing spot - go to Ambrette Town, and exit north through the aquarium. Once you're on the route, head to the shore and then head south back toward Ambrette Town, following the shoreline. Eventually you'll get far enough that there are rocks that prevent you from going any further. Surf into the water, and face the rock (with enough room inbetween you and the rock to cast your rod), and fish there. That way the spot you're fishing in is surrounded on all sides (by the rock, you, the shore, and the deep unsurfable water). I'm not sure how much this changes the odds, but I got way more bites when I fished in cornered areas like that than if I just fished in open water (even without Suction Cups).
#9Zetathekitsune2Posted 10/20/2013 8:09:33 PM
Lucidious89 posted...
A fishing chain is simply fishing consecutively back-to-back without ever getting the "not even a nibble" message, or screwing up the timing pressing A. You have to get into a battle back to back every time you cast your rod.

I don't know if running from the battles, stoping to save or open a menu, or leaving and coming back ruins the streak. All I know is that I fought 37 battles back to back without ever missing any or pausing between each battle.

As for my fishing spot - go to Ambrette Town, and exit north through the aquarium. Once you're on the route, head to the shore and then head south back toward Ambrette Town, following the shoreline. Eventually you'll get far enough that there are rocks that prevent you from going any further. Surf into the water, and face the rock (with enough room inbetween you and the rock to cast your rod), and fish there. That way the spot you're fishing in is surrounded on all sides (by the rock, you, the shore, and the deep unsurfable water). I'm not sure how much this changes the odds, but I got way more bites when I fished in cornered areas like that than if I just fished in open water (even without Suction Cups).

headed there now, I'll give it a shot for an hour or two an post what i find
I think you are on to something.
---
3DS FC:4940-6711-9785
#10Lucidious89(Topic Creator)Posted 10/20/2013 8:22:48 PM
Cool. Good luck to everyone who tries this out. I'm really curious to hear the results. I might give it another shot myself later in a different spot and see how that goes.