This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

My girlfriend and her kids love this game.....I feel left out

#41Lexar93Posted 10/23/2013 5:59:36 AM
The game explains everything you need to start out always anyway..

You won't get lost in this game that much..

And if you need help with something in the game you can always ask here :)
---
3DS FC : 5000-1786-7163
#42Jedi454Posted 10/23/2013 6:06:46 AM
Well this escalated pretty fast.
---
3DS FC: 2294-4665-5845
Time to catch em' all!
#43BlissedIgnorancPosted 10/23/2013 6:07:51 AM
Just keep in mind, the Pokemon online aspect is a lot like the CoD or MMO online aspect. AKA full of kids who take the games too seriously.
---
Sic Semper Tyrannis
#44PrettyTonyTigerPosted 10/23/2013 6:11:34 AM
Bleachfreak7 posted...
You need to EV train and IV breed. Don't forget about the proper nature and egg breeding so you can have decent move sets! You can't let the kids win!

He doesn't need to worry about all of THAT right now. Just let him play.
---
Females are the greatest beings in the universe!!!
Users who agree: TWENTY!
#45OkamiakuPosted 10/23/2013 6:26:30 AM
Rone8822 posted...
I want to try it but I am a little intimidated about getting into Pokemon for the first time. I have never played a Pokemon game or seen the show, never played the trading card game etc. My knowledge of Pokemon is pretty much limited to knowing a pikachu when I see one.

I am an avid gamer of many different types. Rpgs, srpgs, mmos, rts, etc. I even used to play animal crossing with the whole family but they have moved on to this game.

I would appreciate any tips you may have as far as getting into the game, not being overwhelmed etc. Even just a link to a "Pokemon X for idiots" or something like that would be appreciated.

Thanks

Why dont you ask your Girlfriend and her kids to help you instead ?
Might be a great bonding experiance.

Id say just jump in though, X/Y is really user friendly unlike previous games and is much faster paced due to how much easier leveling and breeding are.
---
- Black Shuck - Member of Black Hounds Hunting team
I walk the Darkest of Paths, that of Eternal Death..
#46KrentarisPosted 10/23/2013 6:52:42 AM
BlissedIgnoranc posted...
Just keep in mind, the Pokemon online aspect is (...) full of kids
I think many people in this topic demonstrated this point quite effectively. Good God.

With regard to the TC: Xeiros' guide is excellent for a beginner and you won't go far wrong with it. Pokémon is designed to be simplistic enough that children can approach it unreservedly yet complex enough under the surface to appeal to all ages beyond simple nostalgia value. If you're a veteran of RPGs and SRPGs then you should find the underlying mechanics fairly intuitive and pick them up pretty fast. It is for the most part an RPG after all.

Don't worry about all of the nuances right now - just immerse yourself in it and learn by doing. It's what we all did after all! Have fun with it. That's the most important part. And if you like a go-to resource, the Pokédex at serebii.net should provide you with enough information to get your creative juices flowing.

If I had to give a few bullet points as general, summarised advice, it would probably look something like this:

- Most Pokémon learn new moves at set levels. However, they can also be taught moves by TMs (one-time use items), HMs (infinite use) or move tutors.

- Each move has a type, accuracy, and base power. There may also be other effects that will be listed in the move description. There are buffs and debuffs for example, as well as status ailments.

- A move will either utilise the Attack stat or Special Attack stat - and will be weighted against the opponent's Defense or Special Defense stat correspondingly. This is indicated by icons.

- Many Pokémon evolve based on different criteria. Most of this happens at a certain level, but there are a minority of other conditions, such as: use an item (stone) on them, or have a high affection rating. Evolution typically increases stats, but can change the moves a Pokémon learns, or makes them learn them at a later level. Level-based evolution can be canceled once it starts, but item-based evolution cannot.

- Each Pokémon has up to two types. Types may change after evolution.

- Depending on how the type of a move matches up against the types of the opponent Pokémon, its effectiveness will differ. It may be neutral, super effective (2x damage), not very effective (0.5x damage) or not affect it entirely. This takes into account both types; for example, a Fire/Flying type opponent is 4x weak against Rock moves (2x2). If one of a Pokémon's types is immune to attack, it will always be immune.

If nothing else, find a type chart somewhere, and try to memorise it, using it in practice until it becomes intuitive/second-nature. Type matchups are one of the most important fundamentals of the game.

- If a Pokémon uses a move of its own type, the attack is 50% more powerful. This is referred to as STAB (Same Type Attack Bonus). This is also pretty important.

- Try and balance out your team's type coverage as much as possible. For example, having 3 Fire types in your lineup is a bad idea.

- Search everywhere for Pokémon! Some of them are pretty rare or only show up at certain times of day. You never know what you might find.

- Traded Pokémon level up faster than ones you catch yourself, but may not obey you unless you have badges. Try trading with your family if you have multiple handhelds!

Anyway, I hope you find some of this to be helpful. :)

And I hope you're not discouraged from posting by certain individuals. We're not all presumptuous and tactless.
---
"Perfectionism becomes desirable when it stimulates the healthy pursuit of excellence."
#47KrentarisPosted 10/23/2013 6:59:34 AM
Can't edit, but, I made a typo: I meant partner's family. Although I suppose they are also yours in a sense.
---
"Perfectionism becomes desirable when it stimulates the healthy pursuit of excellence."
#48SwampertBadassPosted 10/25/2013 3:52:04 AM
PrettyTonyTiger posted...
Bleachfreak7 posted...
You need to EV train and IV breed. Don't forget about the proper nature and egg breeding so you can have decent move sets! You can't let the kids win!

He doesn't need to worry about all of THAT right now. Just let him play.

Lmao moron
---
Siebold is my husband.
http://imgur.com/1TzikAB.jpg
#49ljobenzaPosted 10/25/2013 4:03:43 AM
Look at all these random strangers on a video game board telling people life advice.
#50OrangeCrush980Posted 10/25/2013 5:32:26 AM
ljobenza posted...
Look at all these random strangers on a video game board telling people life advice.

We are trying to save TC from a HUGE mistake. TC, it's not too late, break up with her so her kids don't ruin your life!
---
"That choke point bridge in Chapter 2 completely changed my strategy as well as my views on life." - WestbrickIII