This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is this game good for competition? Does it reward knowing the game mechanics?

#1ProudcladPosted 10/22/2013 7:09:43 AM
I've been looking for a competitive game for a long time. Is this a good game if I'm itching for some competition and meticulous engineering of strategy?
---
proudclad LAYIN DOWN THE SMACK - Error1355
#2TerotrousPosted 10/22/2013 7:10:28 AM
Yes, this game has an absurd amount of strategic depth. I hope you're looking to memorize like 500 pages worth of information.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "NES Rampart"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#3Proudclad(Topic Creator)Posted 10/22/2013 7:10:59 AM
Do you have any video examples of some strategic battles? I don't want to buy a 3DS and a game for something that isn't all too deep or competitive.
---
#4AnimeJet_V2Posted 10/22/2013 7:11:06 AM
If you enjoy the thought of forcing pokemon to breed and produce the perfect offspring so that you can rip their young from them to pick and choose from them to raise as god amongst pokemon and crush your friends, yes!
---
Originally:AnimeJet - 138212 Locked @ 2837 Karma
http://shattered-earth.com
#5Lil_PuddinPosted 10/22/2013 7:11:55 AM
You need to be intimately familiar with the mechanics, matchups, and item usage to do even remotely well in competitive battles. So I would say that knowledge is most certainly power.

It's also requires effort to get the best Pokemon to begin with. But the way it goes is like so:

1) You get sucked in to competitive battling and wind up using a team of uggos just so you can win along with cookie cutter builds.

2) You get fed up with competitive battling and go for more casual matches since you can actually use your favorites.
---
I juss dun understayand.
#6Proudclad(Topic Creator)Posted 10/22/2013 7:12:00 AM
AnimeJet_V2 posted...
If you enjoy the thought of forcing pokemon to breed and produce the perfect offspring so that you can rip their young from them to pick and choose from them to raise as god amongst pokemon and crush your friends, yes!

But does the game require skill during battles? Or is it just stats and time-consuming breeding/leveling?
---
#7Proudclad(Topic Creator)Posted 10/22/2013 7:12:01 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#8AnimeJet_V2Posted 10/22/2013 7:13:36 AM
Proudclad posted...
AnimeJet_V2 posted...

But does the game require skill during battles? Or is it just stats and time-consuming breeding/leveling?

Breeding is only an entry ticket to battles. Without good breeding you can't do well, but without strategy you'd be crushed too. It would be like having a perfectly polished and well functioning gun with the best bullets but no aim XD
---
Originally:AnimeJet - 138212 Locked @ 2837 Karma
http://shattered-earth.com
#9Proudclad(Topic Creator)Posted 10/22/2013 7:13:41 AM
Lil_Puddin posted...
You need to be intimately familiar with the mechanics, matchups, and item usage to do even remotely well in competitive battles. So I would say that knowledge is most certainly power.

It's also requires effort to get the best Pokemon to begin with. But the way it goes is like so:

1) You get sucked in to competitive battling and wind up using a team of uggos just so you can win along with cookie cutter builds.

2) You get fed up with competitive battling and go for more casual matches since you can actually use your favorites.

I see. And a team of uggos with cookie cutter builds will usually beat my favorites? Is there any room for skill or is the game like mathematics as far as match ups are concerned? In other words, can we predict with relative certainty which team will beat which team, or is there skill during the match itself?
---
#10thebestestbestPosted 10/22/2013 7:14:50 AM(edited)
It's both good and bad for competition.

Bad:
-LOTS of RNG. Way more than there should be.
-It takes way to long to become competitive. Far too many time wasters with IV breeding, move breeding, ev training, and leveling.
-Counterpicking, some pokemon teams counter other pokemon teams so hard the game is over before it's even begun.

Good:
-Huge amount of numbers you can fiddle with to gain significant advantages
-Lots of different possible team compositions
-Fairly unique competitive gameplay
-Outguessing gives significant advantage