This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Rhyperior: Solid Rock or Lightning Rod

#1SeanmastersonPosted 10/22/2013 8:53:43 AM
I'm trying to make a doubles team that compliments Mega Gyrados, and I saw that Rhyperior had lightning rod. However, I feel like I might be hurting Rhyperior but not having him with Solid Rock.

Opinions, please?
---
Don't you hate when you go to wipe your butt and your fingers rip though the toilet paper? I sure do.
FC: 1306-6253-6125
#2Edgemaster70000Posted 10/22/2013 8:55:00 AM
Rhyperior is going to be straight up obliterated by a single grass or water attack anyway, give him lightningrod so he can at least be worth something.
---
XBL GT: ReptileAssassin. Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Emerl18
There's a point when trolling stops being funny.....When it starts.
#3Seanmasterson(Topic Creator)Posted 10/22/2013 8:59:50 AM
Edgemaster70000 posted...
Rhyperior is going to be straight up obliterated by a single grass or water attack anyway, give him lightningrod so he can at least be worth something.

Lol jeez xD With a response like that, I don't even know if he's a decent option anymore. The thing is, when I went to look for pokemon with the lightning rod ability, he was probably the best out of what I saw. =/
---
Don't you hate when you go to wipe your butt and your fingers rip though the toilet paper? I sure do.
FC: 1306-6253-6125
#4PaladinAlikPosted 10/22/2013 9:03:07 AM
does lightning rod draw in all thunder attacks or only ones targetted at him?
---
If you believe in Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior and you're not ashamed, put this in your signature.
#5Plasma EXEPosted 10/22/2013 9:03:22 AM
Go with lightning rod if doubles. he still has pretty high defense/hp so something like a Lucario close combat should be survivable without solid rock.
---
The official Shiki-Ouji of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
3DS FC - 2750-1413-5336. Friend Safari: Tyogre/Sawk/Meditite
#6Plasma EXEPosted 10/22/2013 9:04:24 AM
PaladinAlik posted...
does lightning rod draw in all thunder attacks or only ones targetted at him?

draws in all elec attacks directed towards anyone (even teammates).
---
The official Shiki-Ouji of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
3DS FC - 2750-1413-5336. Friend Safari: Tyogre/Sawk/Meditite
#7PaladinAlikPosted 10/22/2013 9:05:18 AM
yeah easily lightning rod then
---
If you believe in Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior and you're not ashamed, put this in your signature.
#8Edgemaster70000Posted 10/22/2013 9:05:38 AM
Seanmasterson posted...
Edgemaster70000 posted...

Lol jeez xD With a response like that, I don't even know if he's a decent option anymore. The thing is, when I went to look for pokemon with the lightning rod ability, he was probably the best out of what I saw. =/

You can decide if you want to prioritize having a solid pokemon that adds a lot to the team for maximum effectiveness, or using one of your favorites that adds less but feels better when you win with. I'm guessing Ryperior is in the "favorite" category for you, because without exception, every rock/ground pokemon without some useful gimmick is abysmally bad.
---
XBL GT: ReptileAssassin. Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Emerl18
There's a point when trolling stops being funny.....When it starts.
#9Don_of_BladesPosted 10/22/2013 9:05:45 AM
Give him lightning rod and assault vest and you will be shocked on how durable he will be.
---
Rena~
1779-0713-6090
#10Bigmac909Posted 10/22/2013 9:08:36 AM
Hmm...

You should look for another member to use lightning rod, first. If you can't find anybody decent, maybe then you can try Rhyperior with lightning rod.

I've never use Rhyperior competitively, but I can see what the other guy is saying. He's either going to get hit by a physical attack and not take much damage (Solid Rock or not), or he's gonna get hit by a strong water or grass attack that nothing could ever save him from.

Maybe you could look into some experimentation or something to see if Solid Rock ever actually saves Rhyperior, or if it just makes him take less damage even when he's in no trouble in the first place.

Though if you do use Rhyperior w/ Solid Rock in doubles with Gyrados, he could serve as an effective bluff to keep the opponent from trying any electric attacks, because they'll assume he has it if those two are paired up.
---
Eh, it's like 2 or 3 people who post a lot, making it look like more people hate the game than is actually true. -LordRattergun