This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Really Game Freak!?!?!? Charging for transfering??? (Rant)

#41ClassyOldHatPosted 10/22/2013 2:24:50 PM
LightHawKnight posted...
It has always cost someone money to transfer in the past. Link Cables anyone? Finding someone else with the game and system?

You know what else required these sorts of things in earlier generations? Battling and Trading. You know what sort of things require maintaining servers in current generations? Battling, trading, Dream World, and the current Global link whatever.

You know what we're not being charged for? Any of the above. Why, of all the things, is Transfer the only one attached to this thing with an extra fee?

Whether the fee is justified for STORAGE is irrelevant, its forcing people to pay for TRANSFER that is the issue. (Though I will point out, Pokecheck is a fan made project that essentially not only acts as a Pokemon bank for generations 4 and 5, it ALSO does transfers between those generations, AND had a FAR more thorough hack-check than Game Freak does, and is all completely free, without so much as ads on the site.)

Again, if this was ONLY storage, I'd be fine with it. If this were like TF2 where free players can do the minimum, while still having accesses to all gameplay-affecting items (only transfer, but not store), while paying players got the full set of features, I'd be fine. I've spent far more than 5 dollars a year on TF2, because valve has some good business practices. But Pokebank being tied to transfer is the wrong way to go about this in every way.
#42LightHawKnightPosted 10/22/2013 6:29:03 PM
DarkKirby2500 posted...
LightHawKnight posted...
Yes cause GF would rather lose money that make it. Indeed. I mean keeping the servers up, making sure it is running properly, making sure it keeps working with the next gen games when they come out, all of that costs nothing.

I edited my post to add it, but there is no need for an online service to transfer Pokemon.

The 3DS Pokebank app itself reads, transfers, and deletes, the Pokemon data from the B/W cartridge, then uploads it to the Pokemon Bank.

Exactly why does this process require you to upload the data to the Pokemon Bank instead of, let's say, your SD card. Like how Pokemon Ranch/Box and the such allowed you to do, use your own storage media as a Pokemon storage.

There is, they could not make it work to transfer otherwise, if you don't believe that, then don't. I really couldn't care less.
ClassyOldHat posted...
LightHawKnight posted...
It has always cost someone money to transfer in the past. Link Cables anyone? Finding someone else with the game and system?

You know what else required these sorts of things in earlier generations? Battling and Trading. You know what sort of things require maintaining servers in current generations? Battling, trading, Dream World, and the current Global link whatever.

You know what we're not being charged for? Any of the above. Why, of all the things, is Transfer the only one attached to this thing with an extra fee?

Whether the fee is justified for STORAGE is irrelevant, its forcing people to pay for TRANSFER that is the issue. (Though I will point out, Pokecheck is a fan made project that essentially not only acts as a Pokemon bank for generations 4 and 5, it ALSO does transfers between those generations, AND had a FAR more thorough hack-check than Game Freak does, and is all completely free, without so much as ads on the site.)

Again, if this was ONLY storage, I'd be fine with it. If this were like TF2 where free players can do the minimum, while still having accesses to all gameplay-affecting items (only transfer, but not store), while paying players got the full set of features, I'd be fine. I've spent far more than 5 dollars a year on TF2, because valve has some good business practices. But Pokebank being tied to transfer is the wrong way to go about this in every way.

Are you seriously thinking such pointless thoughts? Battling and trading has so much less maintenance than storing something, since they literally do not have to be there forever. There was never going to be transfer system without it, they could not get it to work. Which is rather believeable since there are so many pokemon and abilities, and what not, all that is A LOT of work.

Do you even know anything at all about coding? Anything? Even a little? I seriously doubt it if you think transfering is going to be easy work.
---
The Official Odin of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board.
"You know how confusing the whole good-evil concept is for me."
#43GalapagozPosted 10/22/2013 6:52:04 PM
A yearly fee of $5 is that bad to you?
---
3DS:0361 6632 9155