This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

teach a noob - competitive battling

#1poldualPosted 10/23/2013 12:10:10 AM
hi guys, can you give me some basic tips/guide on competitive battling? I checked smogon but it seems to complicated for me yet. What types of pokemon are needed in a team? I can see terms like Walls, Sweepers, Sun Team, etc. I don't really have that much of an idea about competitive but it is something I want to try to get into since I already got breeding down. If you can provide some helpful links too that would be great thanks!
---
3DS FC: 1590-5535-1410
Pokemon Y: Electric Safari - Dedenne, Stunfisk & Galvantula
#2poldual(Topic Creator)Posted 10/23/2013 12:13:04 AM
bump
---
#3hyjinx17Posted 10/23/2013 12:13:19 AM
It is all on smogon if you dig around the forums and look through past issues of the smog.

I'd have to write about 15 posts to try and go over everything you need to know.
---
FC 3883-5502-4640. PM if you add me
#4asdfggghh1Posted 10/23/2013 12:14:07 AM
You have two options:
Read Smogon or Run.

I'd recommend the latter.
---
My balls do not blend.
#5poldual(Topic Creator)Posted 10/23/2013 12:16:44 AM
ok maybe i'll start reading now. not that busy at work anyway lol
---
#6ssyl9Posted 10/23/2013 12:38:54 AM
poldual posted...
hi guys, can you give me some basic tips/guide on competitive battling? I checked smogon but it seems to complicated for me yet. What types of pokemon are needed in a team? I can see terms like Walls, Sweepers, Sun Team, etc. I don't really have that much of an idea about competitive but it is something I want to try to get into since I already got breeding down. If you can provide some helpful links too that would be great thanks!

It should be easier if you read that thing, and discuss what you dont understand on the board.

About your questions, Walls are... well to wall.. they are there to take hits and set up/chip off opponents hp.

Typical walls will have mixture of recovery skills (not mandatory), status skills, set ups, weather ability/skills, good pokes etc. They are typically high in def,sp def and hp

Sweepers are there to... sweep..

They focus on OHKO or 2HKO opponents. Most likely they will have power up moves (increase in atk,sp atk or spe) with strong STAB (Same Type Attack Bonus) attacks. typically high in atk, sp atk and speed.

Weather teams are having an entire team that is beneficial or immune to certain weather abilities.
use sandstorm team for example. The team will consist of 1 weather ability mon and other 5 pokemons that have steel,ground,rock in their typings. So by keeping the weather up, the opponent will be suffering from sandstorm dmg while your team sit and laugh

Rain and sunny teams are also for synergies. typically fire pokemons will benefit from sunny teams and also a few other skills like solar beam. And rain will benefit water type moves and skills like thunder.
---
FC: 3496-9980-2182