This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Fairy types: too many or too few?

#11wurmtokenPosted 10/23/2013 1:08:03 AM
I feel that they added enough fairies to the game, but didn't add enough fairies that I would actually want to use. The type in general draws too much from the pool of "pink poof" pokemon that I just can't find appealing.
#12SlaynPosted 10/23/2013 1:16:32 AM
Where is my Fairy Dragon?
---
You can buy a $500 console and a $500 computer and have two crap machines, or you can spend $1000 building your own computer and have the best of both worlds.
#13SnowxReturnsPosted 10/23/2013 1:17:37 AM
Too many. Dark and steel had 5 new pokemon each in GSC. I don't see why Fairy is getting special treatment.
#14DoctorPiranha3Posted 10/23/2013 1:18:22 AM
SnowxReturns posted...
Too many. Dark and steel had 5 new pokemon each in GSC. I don't see why Fairy is getting special treatment.

uhh maybe because we're not in gen 2 anymore? Pokemon has evolved (no pun intended) since the days when we'd only have like, 4 ghosts and 4 dragons. Now, types are more or less all given a similar amount of love.
---
That's no way to talk to somebody as good-looking as me! - Barter Bear
#15RDS1Posted 10/23/2013 12:09:51 PM
wurmtoken posted...
I feel that they added enough fairies to the game, but didn't add enough fairies that I would actually want to use. The type in general draws too much from the pool of "pink poof" pokemon that I just can't find appealing.

I agree with the first sentence here. There are 16 fully-evolved Fairy-type Pokemon, not counting legendaries. This puts them at about the same amount as Ghost, Ice, and Dragon, the least-common types in the game; while I personally think that's a bit low, I think it does seem like a reasonable amount for a new type.

My problem is that, quite simply, too many of those 16 are Pokemon that I don't want to use. Most of the retconned Pokemon (which take up about half the list) are either ones that I dislike in terms of design or gameplay, or ones that I simply don't tend to consider when choosing Pokemon to train because I find them so unremarkable. And of the new Pokemon, about half of them don't evolve.

On the other hand, when I actually counted it out, I found that there were 8 fully-evolved Fairy-types that I actually wanted to use. "About half" seems like the sort of amount I can't really complain about, even if most of them are considered sub-par.
---
Official Bride and Wife of Noire
(of the Fire Emblem Awakening message board)