This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So Paid DLC is a definite no no, but what about Free DLC?

#11Mewtwo_soulPosted 10/23/2013 7:16:26 AM
pikangie posted...
Most likely they will have free DLC, if that's what people consider the Pokemon giveaways like Torchic to be. I'm not 100% familiar with DLC because none of the games I have sell DLC for profit. I have only seen it in the games I play as free giveaways. Pokemon is known to have free giveaways for new or limited-time Pokemon.

I honestly feel like Pokemon is one of those game companies who are opposed to becoming greedy like most companies. They give off a very generous vibe, in that they don't make us feel cheated by selling virtual content to enhance our game. You pay for the game, and you don't have to pay anymore to enjoy that game unless you want actual hardware/physical enhancements which have actual restocking/manufacture costs. DLC is simply data that is only needs to be created once, and can be effortlessly copy-pasted for unlimited profit if a company wishes.
I think the way Pokemon is treating DLC is basically like free advertisement/promotion. That people who buy the game, are not expected to fork over extra money for things the game has, but rather they get rewarded for being fans of the game.

Even with the upcoming Pokemon Bank, I feel it's a very generous price(It's like less than $2 a year right?). Sure it costs money, but so does a gameboy link cable, and online storage services.
I was honestly expecting it to cost closer to $5-$10, because so many other companies like to inflate prices for the sake of profit, rather than just offering the price that will satisfy their server costs.

Nintendo/Pokemon probably know that a LOT of people will play the game, and that a LOT will want to use the bank service, so they know they won't have trouble making plenty surplus money for server costs, by charging a small amount to millions of people.

Sorry, my post became TL;dr.

No. No. It actually makes a good point.

Besides that at least the storage will be quick and easy to use, unlike in the previous gens where transferring was limited to a select few Pokemon a day. Which took forever.
---
Only insecure and ignorant people try to debase someone online based on their username.
#12SopherooPosted 10/23/2013 7:17:34 AM
pikangie posted...
Most likely they will have free DLC, if that's what people consider the Pokemon giveaways like Torchic to be. I'm not 100% familiar with DLC because none of the games I have sell DLC for profit. I have only seen it in the games I play as free giveaways. Pokemon is known to have free giveaways for new or limited-time Pokemon.

I honestly feel like Pokemon is one of those game companies who are opposed to becoming greedy like most companies. They give off a very generous vibe, in that they don't make us feel cheated by selling virtual content to enhance our game. You pay for the game, and you don't have to pay anymore to enjoy that game unless you want actual hardware/physical enhancements which have actual restocking/manufacture costs. DLC is simply data that is only needs to be created once, and can be effortlessly copy-pasted for unlimited profit if a company wishes.
I think the way Pokemon is treating DLC is basically like free advertisement/promotion. That people who buy the game, are not expected to fork over extra money for things the game has, but rather they get rewarded for being fans of the game.

Even with the upcoming Pokemon Bank, I feel it's a very generous price(It's like less than $2 a year right?). Sure it costs money, but so does a gameboy link cable, and online storage services.
I was honestly expecting it to cost closer to $5-$10, because so many other companies like to inflate prices for the sake of profit, rather than just offering the price that will satisfy their server costs.

Nintendo/Pokemon probably know that a LOT of people will play the game, and that a LOT will want to use the bank service, so they know they won't have trouble making plenty surplus money for server costs, by charging a small amount to millions of people.

Sorry, my post became TL;dr.

It is 5$ a year, with a 30 day free trial.
#13SuperLink9Posted 10/23/2013 7:19:19 AM
We'll get some form of free dlc like always, we already got torchic, its not hard to believe.

But no paid dlc, which I never expected to begin with. Which is good imo.
---
http://backloggery.com/superlink
#14MarshFoxPosted 10/23/2013 7:27:48 AM
In the article, he doesn't rule out the possibility of paid dlc, only paid dlc that "isn't consistent with the worldview of pokemon", specifically paying for a pokemon. He states that they are open to paid dlc in the future in other cases though.
#15BlocktopusPosted 10/23/2013 7:30:31 AM
SSJ4CHRIS posted...
They've been doing free DLC for years. All of those mystery gift Pokemon and items. Also, the new box storage thing is paid DLC. They are charging you to bring over and use your old favorite Pokemon.

I'm sure when people say DLC they mean actual, newly made content, like a new area or region, but yeah sure.
---
http://i.imgur.com/f09dfvV.jpg
#16Yamato_sanPosted 10/23/2013 7:52:22 AM
The previous Pokemon Dungeon game had paid DLC... and it was done in an extremely dickish fashion no less, hardly what I'd call "fun" as Sugimori put it (all the DLC in total would cost over 20 bucks and does almost nothing for the game except add some maps that make the game easier on newbies, with one map in particular making it easier to grab food items despite the fact that hunger was mostly removed from the game anyway; it's sad, too, since I'm sure several people would've gladly paid instead to expand the damn game's Pokemon roster, which was sorely lacking compared to the previous titles). However, that was ChunSoft's call, not The Pokemon Company's. Given what Sugimori states here, I can only hope TPC condemned ChunSoft for that crap so that, hopefully, they never do it again in the future.