This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

This game is really good. This game is very disappointing.

#1NnamzPosted 10/23/2013 1:26:56 PM
I haven't played a Pokemon game since the GBC days. When I saw the trailer for this game I got excited that they were moving beyond sprites and finally giving you the ability to explore a fully 3D world. I imagined the possibilities and the immersion that this would be able to provide.

And I was let down.

The game basically controls and feels exactly the same as the 2D games. Movement is just as jerky (you can clearly see the "8-way" snapping when walking around in circles, which you can't see in games like Animal Crossing). The graphics outside of battle are not very detailed. In battle, the anmiations are so limited and poor. Generic jump animations are used for many moves like Lick, Megapunch, MegaKick, or whatever. Pokemon only really seem to have 2 attack animations, which is a real missed opportunity given that each should have their own animations for moves in their moveset.

The 3DS is certainly capable of more and I feel that this game only "3D Pokemon" in terms of how it looks, not how it plays or what it could have been.

That said, I'm still compelled to play. The gameplay is perfect. Battles are really fun and strategic and catching lots of pokemon still has it's allure.

Does anyone else feel the same way? That the game is both good and disappointing?
---
https://www.youtube.com/user/Vitavs3DS
#2CyD13Posted 10/23/2013 1:27:57 PM
Too high expectations.
---
3DS Friend code: 1091-8695-6584
PM me if you add me!
#3Dvs161Posted 10/23/2013 1:29:30 PM
Tell me, did you ever expect there would even be 3D Pokemon battles back in the GBC days? When the attack animations were little black dots? Maybe I'm easily impressed. But this game pretty much blew me away -- I only care about battles though... Didn't really pay much attention to the overworld and how that looked.
#4Solar20xxPosted 10/23/2013 1:32:03 PM
CyD13 posted...
Too high expectations.

I don't really blame people for that since this is a main installment and all.

Still I'm satisfied. If anything this game reminds me of Pokemon Colosseum series, which are my most favorite Pokemon console games.
---
Crap, I edit a lot.
Sometimes even serious times have their funny moments: http://puu.sh/2Su65
#5Nnamz(Topic Creator)Posted 10/23/2013 1:32:57 PM
CyD13 posted...
Too high expectations.

I suppose. I don't think it's ludicrous to expect people to use the potential of the hardware though, especially if it's a 1st party game.

Dvs161 posted...
Tell me, did you ever expect there would even be 3D Pokemon battles back in the GBC days?

One day, yes, I did. Obviously not on that hardware, but the day I played Pokemon on the GB I dreamed of the day where I would be able to battle them in full 3D. And the 3DS is capable of that.
---
https://www.youtube.com/user/Vitavs3DS
#6pokemonzeroPosted 10/23/2013 1:33:10 PM
I never expected much since the 3ds is new terain for Gamefreak. I do expect better for the 3rd version(or sequels if they go down B2/W2 road) and I expect alot better if they do remakes of Gen 3

Gen 5 B2/W2>>>>>>>>>>B/W

Gen 4 HG/SS>>Platinum>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Diamond/Pearl
---
With all these Hoenn Pokemon getting Megaevolutions
OMG Hoenn Remakes C*Shot*
#7Kabuto_YPosted 10/23/2013 1:33:14 PM
This game has some serious flaws. In my opinion, it has by far the worst music of the series. The Team Enemy music sounds really generic, gym/E4 battles don't have anywhere near the energy that every previous generation has had, and I think the champion music is the worst we've had to date as well (although Iris's music wasn't much better, it worked better with the battle background, and was still a bit better when just comparing the music itself). While meeting the "friend" characters was neat, by the time I moved beyond the forest the only one I actually liked at all the rest of the game was Serena. Postgame is really lacking outside of the exploration side.

Still like other aspects a lot. Will probably look back on this generation of games as one of my least favorite, but the same isn't true regarding the generation's pokemon.
---
3DS FC: 2449-4620-4409
AC town name: 'Murrica
#8NME_EnterprisesPosted 10/23/2013 1:34:25 PM
The only thing I'm disappointed in is relatively less postgame content, which will probably be alleviated with inevitable Z version. I wasn't expecting much from the 3D, or something on par with Stadium-Colisseum, so I think this was above my (admittedly low) expectations
---
People who've needed "a monstah to clobbah dat dere Kirbeh!": 131
http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/15/heartscream2.jpg
#9Solar20xxPosted 10/23/2013 1:34:54 PM
Kabuto_Y posted...
This game has some serious flaws. In my opinion, it has by far the worst music of the series. The Team Enemy music sounds really generic, gym/E4 battles don't have anywhere near the energy that every previous generation has had, and I think the champion music is the worst we've had to date as well (although Iris's music wasn't much better, it worked better with the battle background, and was still a bit better when just comparing the music itself). While meeting the "friend" characters was neat, by the time I moved beyond the forest the only one I actually liked at all the rest of the game was Serena. Postgame is really lacking outside of the exploration side.

Still like other aspects a lot. Will probably look back on this generation of games as one of my least favorite, but the same isn't true regarding the generation's pokemon.

This is basically how I felt.
---
Crap, I edit a lot.
Sometimes even serious times have their funny moments: http://puu.sh/2Su65
#10GolurkcanflyPosted 10/23/2013 1:35:20 PM
Well, it does have models for 718+ Pokemon not counting gender differences and alternate forms, which bumps that up to upwards 850 Pokemon models. Then there are trainer models and such along with...
---
Official Amnesiac Darkrai of the Pokemon X Board
You know why spiders know how to spin webs when they hatch? Because F*** You! That's why.