This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I love this game but, putting myself in a new kids shoes I'd be pretty pissed.

#1linklyonsPosted 10/23/2013 7:29:50 PM
These are my thoughts about this game from my point of view, and then from the point of view of 10 year old me that just picked up red/blue but replace that with X/Y.

First my thoughts now,

Good-
+Shinny rate (Although I've never gotten a shinny I feel like I have a decent chance now)
New set of pokemon! (Great and all, can't complain)
Great mechanics (8-Directional movement anyone? Like about time?)
Fairy type (good and bad, but this closes off the types and makes it complete)
IV and EVs are easier than ever.

Bad-
Fairy type (Basically a new normal type. Just, different..replacing a lot of normal type pokemon)
Easy game with my years and years of type matching knowledge and past information.
Story? What story? (I realize this is gamefreak, but damn this story was REALLY bad.)
End-Game extras? (Not much really, but whatever, enough content to feel content)
Pay for pokemon transfer from other games..(Not that I will use it)
Little to no actual 3D usage, they pushed the game so hard they had to disable 3D overall. Not really sure if this is bad or just meh, I mean it is on the 3DS and rarely uses 3D, and top that off with the games being called X and Y and the third game probably being called Z (3D) and it becomes sort of funny.

My thoughts in a 10 year old mind.

Good-
Pokemon!
I got two starter pokemon!
Digivolve Mega-Graymon!
I can wear different clothes!

Bad-
Fairies are gay. lol (steriotypical 10 year old boy reaction)

4..Pokedex? Where is pikachu? Which one of these pokedex has Pikachu in it!!AHHG

Type weaknesses? Two Types? Where do I go to learn all this? Nowhere in this game does it explain all the type weaknesses and coverage's.

Nowhere does it tell you pokemon evolve and how they evolve, only explains a new digivolve.

Game says all pokemon have different natures, yet doesn't state what natures do, the status screen has a random blue and red stat. Yet in america red is a bad color (stop) so if you are even able to decipher what natures do you would still not really know which stat was up and which stat was down without looking it up or making an educated guess.

EVs? They added "Training" into this game, yet don't explain what you are training are actually the EVs or even mention what EVs are, if I tried to tell a 10 year old what EVs were they would think I was saying Eevees. Add in that when doing "training" you get +1,+4,+12 of a stat, then go into the status menu and notice the stat didnt actually go up and whats going on here? Add in that the bar on the training screen keeps going up and nowhere does the game tell you that all the monsters you fight have hidden EV values that add to your pokemon stats as you fight.

IVs? These are not as important to a regular gamer, EVs can make a big difference in even regular in-game teams but IVs really don't need mentioning to a young kid that just started, yet if they WERE interested then It would be damn near impossible to explain the details.

Magic attacks? Physical Attacks? Nowhere does it show what is what, the little red explosion icon next to things and the blueish wave means nothing without content behind it.

========================

Conclusion, I'm not one for being hand fed- but I feel like the game should start focusing on the new generation of gamers/kids seeing as most of us are in our 20s and even as far out as out 50s and soon we will not be playing these games as we really start to run out of time for them, much less the MASS amount of time needed to EV and IV train/breed for a simple team just to even not get our asses handed to us online.

There are something like 18 different types in this game, almost all have two types, almost every type mix is available, probably hundreds of different weakness/resist combinations to remember.

Just, getting complicated for someone to just "jump into" as a kid.
#2ShadianVisePosted 10/23/2013 7:41:14 PM
I never actually thought about it like that, but you have a point. I've been playing the games since the release day of R/B, and the game mechanics were relatively simple back then. I learned all the in-depth stat related stuff and memorized the type chart on my own when I was older, and implementing things like explicit EV training in this game seemed like a smooth transition because of that. However, I can imagine how it would be extremely confusing and overwhelming to someone new to the series.

Still, the game is easy enough that it doesn't really matter. A kid who doesn't understand will steamroll the game through sheer determination and grinding if he/she has to. The in-depth mechanics are really for the benefit of older and more patient players, and I can appreciate that.
---
http://www.youtube.com/ShadianVise
TLoZ: Oracle of Ages playthrough in progress.
#3Oak_TeaPosted 10/23/2013 7:42:34 PM
While I'll agree with you that some of the mechanics weren't explained well in this game (eg. Physical/Special attacks), most of the previous Pokemon games were about exploring.

Thinking back to RBY, evolution was mostly explained as "Sometimes Pokemon change shape when they gain experience!". Type coverage was mostly trial and error. Hence why everyone thought the Rock type was immune to Electric attacks until 2nd or even 3rd gen.

As for EVs, the Super Training doesn't need an explanation. It gives you a visual display as well as actual numbers. It doesn't let you waste EVs by putting more than 255 into a stat (though it probably lets you go over 252...not a big deal for 10 year olds). Giving you +4, +8, +12 is logical. Even if it doesn't directly power up your stats, I'd imagine most 10 year olds would be looking at the visual display anyways.

Actually, most of your complaints can be applied to the older games. In RBY, Pikachu was hard to find...in fact, this game is basically a direct reference to that. Personally, I found more Pikachu in X than I did in RB. Many kids went through RB without finding a Pikachu for most of the game.

Yeah, some things could have been explained better. But Pokemon has always been about discovery. People complain about the easy difficulty of the game, and how easy it is to build a good in-game team...how often do they use online move lists, or look at level up moves before using a stone evolution? I'm sure some people still do look at a type chart or even use a damage calculator mid-battle to choose the best attack.

If someone wants to be spoon-fed, they can find it online. But Pokemon seems to have been primarily designed around discovery. (Well, with some exceptions like Feebas/Milotic...gotta' sell your guides to SOME people)
---
Now playing: Pokemon X
#4linklyons(Topic Creator)Posted 10/23/2013 7:46:47 PM
ShadianVise posted...
I never actually thought about it like that, but you have a point. I've been playing the games since the release day of R/B, and the game mechanics were relatively simple back then. I learned all the in-depth stat related stuff and memorized the type chart on my own when I was older, and implementing things like explicit EV training in this game seemed like a smooth transition because of that. However, I can imagine how it would be extremely confusing and overwhelming to someone new to the series.

Still, the game is easy enough that it doesn't really matter. A kid who doesn't understand will steamroll the game through sheer determination and grinding if he/she has to. The in-depth mechanics are really for the benefit of older and more patient players, and I can appreciate that.

Yeah you also make a great point, as all I did when I was a kid is grind and steamroll the game, yet I did slowly trainsition to the new additions as they were added.

I do feel like all the in-depth mechanics are really for the older/more patient players that wish to dig deeper into the game. So I can understand how all of that can be bypassed by an average starting gamer and still be enjoyable.

Sort of like how Pixar and disney movies have that perverted/adult side to all their moves just for the parents
#5UponADarkThornePosted 10/23/2013 7:47:04 PM
I don't get the hate on the story. It isn't as good as BW, but it isn't bad. Certainly better than Gen III which had the most insane freaking teams in Pokemon history; it was about on par with Platinum, IMO except with a genuinely well meaning madman instead of selfish one.
---
3DS Friend Code: 2680-9395-3914
Friend Safari (Dragon): Fraxure, Noibat, ????
#6linklyons(Topic Creator)Posted 10/23/2013 7:54:39 PM
UponADarkThorne posted...
I don't get the hate on the story. It isn't as good as BW, but it isn't bad. Certainly better than Gen III which had the most insane freaking teams in Pokemon history; it was about on par with Platinum, IMO except with a genuinely well meaning madman instead of selfish one.

If you could piece together and remember there was actually a story in this game, then yeah its not terrible. Yet I feel like a 4 year old could come up with a better one.

"My pet died, so I built a machine to resserect it, yet it cost hundreds of other pets lives to do so. My pet did not like that I would do such a pet hating thing so it ran away. I got pissed off because my pet ran away and decided to try and destroy the planet or something.

I happen to become immortal because the machine brings life back n stuff, so I wondered the planet for 3000 years waiting for something to happen, then some kid came along and saved some fashion guys from using said machine to repeat my mistake, then after saving the day I realized I love pokemon and I totally messed up 3000 years ago. Then my pet came back to me, I cried and everyone was happy."

It could have been fleshed out a little more, would make a decent story if it wasnt so fragmented and broken up, even silly at times. Black and white had an amazing story for a pokemon game, and I just feel like anything before it really didn't have a story at all or needed one, this game sort of attempted at a story but gave up halfway.