This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Your Shiny Hunting Stories

#1beebarbPosted 10/24/2013 4:22:44 AM
Before the last generation, I didn't have much luck when it came to Shiny Pokemon (I was awful at the Poke Radar and still am), I'd maybe get one if I was lucky, but in White 2 I ended up with 3 before my luck ran out.

Until the Friend Safari in X, my first there being a Pansage which I chalked up to luck, but then I got Pancham and Charmeleon.

Then I was introduced to Fishing Chaining, which has allowed me to get a few, but sometimes I think it is too easy. It was getting boring so I went back to the Friend Safari, and my most recent catch was a Shiny Eevee, I wasn't going to pass up the opportunity to make it a Sylveon.

Shiny Pokemon List (not counting lost):

Glameow (Pearl, now a Purugly in White 2)
Paras (HeartGold, now a Parasect in White 2)
Gurdurr (White 2, now a Conkeldurr)
Solosis (White 2)
Litwick (White 2)
Pansage (X, Friend Safari, now a Simisage)
Pancham (X, Friend Safari)
Charmeleon (X, Friend Safari, now a Charizard)
Starmie (X, Fishing)
Alomomola (X, Fishing)
Clauncher (X, Fishing)
Corphish (X, Fishing)
Goldeen (X, Fishing)
Barboach (X, Fishing)
Eevee (X, Friend Safari, now a Sylveon)

I'm starting to think that maybe X and Y made it a little too easy to Shiny hunt, as my list is longer than someone of my skill would have gotten before.
---
Experience beats bias, but words on the Internet are meaningless.
3DS XL FC: 2492-4470-1418 / White 2 FC: 0047-4149-5185 / White FC: 0348-0626-6780
#2AnimeJet_V2Posted 10/24/2013 4:25:00 AM
For those safari catches, was the person who owned the safari online when you got them :O?
---
Originally:AnimeJet - 138212 Locked @ 2837 Karma
http://shattered-earth.com
#3beebarb(Topic Creator)Posted 10/24/2013 4:29:34 AM
AnimeJet_V2 posted...
For those safari catches, was the person who owned the safari online when you got them :O?

Not sure if they were online, but I did have access to all 3 possible encounters in at least two cases.
---
3DS XL FC: 2492-4470-1418 / White 2 FC: 0047-4149-5185 / White FC: 0348-0626-6780
#4Oak_TeaPosted 10/24/2013 4:30:31 AM
After hearing about fish chaining, I rushed to test it out since I'd been grinding Luvdiscs for experience and heart scales anyways. Skeptical of the claims, I did it casually, but followed the instructions as well as I could without surf.

After a small amount of time and a relatively small chain (under 20 most likely, though it followed some broken chains), I found a shiny Luvdisc. It was when I decided that I'd only fish twice more for the day.

After following the same procedure, I've drawn many blanks. However, I have gained dozens of heart scales, so it could be worse.
---
Now playing: Pokemon X
#5MarioBro24Posted 10/24/2013 4:32:25 AM
Going for a shiny shellder right now.

I've caught 5 shiny skrelps while trying to find it .-.
---
http://i.imgur.com/OHI75Sb.png
http://i.imgur.com/QdOZC9u.png
#6pokerealmPosted 10/24/2013 4:33:40 AM
Well, as for previous gens, I've caught tons of them with the regular 1/8192 odds. That said, I've been shinyhunting ever since their introduction in G/S/C. I usually hunt on 2 games at the same time and sometimes 3.. lol.

As for this generation, I've caught 27 shinies through different sorts of methods.

Random: Goomy
Hunting outside Friend Safari: Foongus
Friend Safari:: Minccino, Spiritomb, Riolu, Kakuna, Noibat, Spritzee, Floette, Dedenne x2, Ivysaur, Pyroar and Lampent
Chain Fishing: Basculin, Horsea, Clauncher, Clawitzer, Poliwhirl, Goldeen, Seaking, Magikarp, Clamperl x2, Remoraid and Luvdisc
Pokeradar: Pancham

The shiny rate has definitely gone up in the Friend Safari. Even though I'm intenionally looking for shinies, they appear MUCH faster than they ever did in any other game. I do think it has something to do whether the person of a particular Safari is online or not, though.
#7rand0m_namePosted 10/24/2013 4:40:02 AM
Wasn't shiny hunting, but EV training.

Never encountered a shiny before, been playing since Gen 1. Finally found my first shiny, a Zubat, but I was almost complete EV training my Sylveon doing horde battle, and Zubats weren't what I was killing, so I chose to flee instead of starting over :(

Got a shiny Modest Ralts today while I was breeding for synchronize natures, so that was pretty awesome. Ended up with the right ability as well, and max speed IV :-D
#8SharwenPosted 10/24/2013 4:44:40 AM
Found many shinies in the past but I have failed to catch a couple.

When I was younger and played Ruby I had a hard time catching Registeel. One of the resets rolled me a Shiny Regi where I hit him down to tiny red HP and Paralysis but ran out of balls, so I missed that.

Also Pokemon Y; Shiny Solosis appears! *battery dies*
#9beebarb(Topic Creator)Posted 10/24/2013 6:23:28 AM
Small Update:
I am now searching for a Shiny in a Psychic Friend Safari, hopefully I will get a female Espurr.

Anyone else got some Shiny hunting stories?
---
#10ArcXenosPosted 10/24/2013 6:25:25 AM
It was a dark and stormy night

I was farming for a shiny braixen....

.....and then, out of the shadows, something jumped towards me

To my horror, it was a shiny ponyta

Repeat this story for another ponyta, 3 more charmeleons.

3 days later, I got my shiny braixen
---
3DS FC : 3024 - 5307 - 4534