This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why is spd such an important stat?

#31firehockey91(Topic Creator)Posted 10/24/2013 9:03:26 AM
So are moves like protect banned? Seems pretty easy to spam it, get the speed boosts, use substitute and bring a hardcore sweeper out with ridiculous speed... Who actually adheres to those "rules" too? Who governs the comp. play?
#32Otters11Posted 10/24/2013 9:05:42 AM
firehockey91 posted...
So are moves like protect banned? Seems pretty easy to spam it, get the speed boosts, use substitute and bring a hardcore sweeper out with ridiculous speed... Who actually adheres to those "rules" too? Who governs the comp. play?

It's self governed mostly. People tend to adhere to the smogon rules just generally. Some will refuse to battle with someone who isn't following the rules.
Protect isn't banned per se as long as it's used in moderation.
#33firehockey91(Topic Creator)Posted 10/24/2013 9:06:39 AM
Otters11 posted...
firehockey91 posted...

It's self governed mostly. People tend to adhere to the smogon rules just generally. Some will refuse to battle with someone who isn't following the rules.

So spamming the hell out of it then baton passing is generally frowned upon?
#34meiyukiPosted 10/24/2013 9:16:04 AM
firehockey91 posted...
Who actually adheres to those "rules" too? Who governs the comp. play?

It depends, if you're using wifi it's self-imposed rules. Anything goes in wifi. With smogon's own program they govern the rules. With an official tournamed nintendo governs the rules.

Personally I play by tournament rules with the exception that I usually single battle rather than double battle.
#35firehockey91(Topic Creator)Posted 10/24/2013 9:20:37 AM
meiyuki posted...
firehockey91 posted...

It depends, if you're using wifi it's self-imposed rules. Anything goes in wifi. With smogon's own program they govern the rules. With an official tournamed nintendo governs the rules.

Personally I play by tournament rules with the exception that I usually single battle rather than double battle.

Is there a site I can find said rules?
#36meiyukiPosted 10/24/2013 9:24:52 AM(edited)
firehockey91 posted...
meiyuki posted...
firehockey91 posted...

Is there a site I can find said rules?

http://www.pokemon.com/us/play-pokemon/play-pokemon-tournaments/rules/

The main summary is it's largely anything goes, few banned attacks(usually relating to glitches), and some rules about items. The rest mostly have to do with naming rules and telling you not to hack.
#37NukedToVoidPosted 10/24/2013 9:24:43 AM
It's as important as every other stat, all of'em are important, though you may consider it's also important to build tanky if the speed doesn't suffice, and get a priority move to finish the job.

Though it's invaluable for sweepers, scarfed AND not though that depends on how speed tiers develop this time around.
---
Friend Code: 3136-7266-6623 (WATER - Azumarill, Krabby, Quagsire)
#38TerotrousPosted 10/24/2013 9:25:00 AM
No one frowns on Protect or Baton Pass, those are essential parts of competitive Pokemon.

Protect / Detect / Baton Pass Moody Smeargle is frowned upon because Moody can raise evasion, and evasion raising is banned, so Moody is also banned.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "NES Rampart"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#39_AverageGamerPosted 10/24/2013 9:27:10 AM
Smogon has a bunch of "clauses." These are rules that either try to limit randomization or the community has found completely unfair. You can see these clauses at:

http://www.smogon.com/bw/banlist/

Protect is generally used to stall. Stalling is useful for Speed Boost ability, as well as poison status effect and certain weather effects. However, being too predictable with your Protects, such as using it every other turn, allows your opponent to set up safely. In terms of strategy, it's probably best to use Protect occasionally, in no particular pattern.
---
Dictated but not read,
_AverageGamer
#40MogKnightAzurePosted 10/24/2013 9:28:05 AM
Otters11 posted...
firehockey91 posted...

...what? You can use protect every turn if you want to. In-game mechanics though would suggest that this is not a viable strategy, as subsequent uses of protect have much lower chances of working. You CAN use protect every other turn though. Combine with Wish for excellent stalling power. You can use protect and substitute one after the other to garner a full +6 speed boost if you want. It's not like either skill is completely invincible.

There's no such thing as moves only being allowed 'in moderation'. That's silly, I've never heard of such a rule even amongst some of my more casual friends who come up with ridiculous or at least creative rules.
---
3DS FC: 2423-3095-6556