This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Guide to breeding pokemon with Perfect or near-Perfect IVs ver 1.1

#421tracyaatPosted 7/21/2014 11:24:15 AMmessage detail
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#422MeleeMaster6Posted 7/25/2014 3:32:00 PMmessage detail
http://youtu.be/0h6oVXpEn9g

For those of you that are a little new to this process....I took it upon myself to make a step by step video that should help some of you out.
---
Nintendo Network: MeleeMaster6 3DS: 0645-5761-1862
Xbox Live: xMeleeMaster6x PSN: MeleeMastr YouTube.com/MeleeMaster6
#423zeejaciousPosted 7/27/2014 10:48:23 PMmessage detail
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#424rthomas06Posted 8/2/2014 8:35:47 PMmessage detail
I have a quick question about this process, but first let me just say that I love this guide. It's extraordinarily helpful. Thanks so much for taking the time to write it!

Onto my question:

I'm having trouble understanding when to use the Destiny Knot and when to use the Power items. You mentioned that when the combined perfect IVs between the parents is "3 or less," we should use the Power items. However, I'm not sure why that would matter.

Let me further explain my question with an example: the critter that I'm trying to make "perfect" already has the nature that I would prefer, while the Ditto I have has perfect Special Attack and Attack IVs. So, why wouldn't I initially use the Destiny Knot to expedite the process? Wouldn't that give me both IVs right off the bat, or, at the very least, increase my chances and make the process move a little quicker? Then, once my Pokemon has these two Perfect IVs, couldn't I then just switch the Destiny Knot to another Ditto, who, let's say, has perfect HP and Speed?

I did read the guide, of course, but I'm struggling to understand this aspect of things. Also, I apologize if this was answered in another post; 43 pages worth of posts is quite a lot to go through :-)

Hopefully, someone can enlighten me on this. Thanks!
---
"When I said that I was lying, I might have been lying." -Elvis Costello
FC: 0447-5638-5355
#425alpachecPosted 8/3/2014 7:31:08 AMmessage detail
(Random note: power items and destiny knot effects don't stack)

Actually I think power items are outclassed completely by the destiny knot, which makes sense when you think about it: the destiny knot's effect on breeding was introduced in the last generation of games.
---
Where can I buy a sarcasm detector? Mine is broken
3DS FC: 3411-1630-3825 ~ Pokemon X Safari. Beautifly, Heracross, Butterfree ~ TSV: 377 ~ 896 - 1443
#426wothfPosted 8/3/2014 9:49:16 AMmessage detail
rthomas06 posted...
I have a quick question about this process, but first let me just say that I love this guide. It's extraordinarily helpful. Thanks so much for taking the time to write it!

Onto my question:

I'm having trouble understanding when to use the Destiny Knot and when to use the Power items. You mentioned that when the combined perfect IVs between the parents is "3 or less," we should use the Power items. However, I'm not sure why that would matter.

Let me further explain my question with an example: the critter that I'm trying to make "perfect" already has the nature that I would prefer, while the Ditto I have has perfect Special Attack and Attack IVs. So, why wouldn't I initially use the Destiny Knot to expedite the process? Wouldn't that give me both IVs right off the bat, or, at the very least, increase my chances and make the process move a little quicker? Then, once my Pokemon has these two Perfect IVs, couldn't I then just switch the Destiny Knot to another Ditto, who, let's say, has perfect HP and Speed?

I did read the guide, of course, but I'm struggling to understand this aspect of things. Also, I apologize if this was answered in another post; 43 pages worth of posts is quite a lot to go through :-)

Hopefully, someone can enlighten me on this. Thanks!

I have to admit I've been wondering this as well. I have just taken to using the destiny knot if there is more than one IV that I'm trying to have replicated in the child. I understand that is contrary to the guides description but it has worked for me so far. This guide has been invaluable though. Prior to reading it I had absolutely no understanding of breeding.
---
FC: 4012-5500-9058
IGN: Neal
#427supermegabloxPosted 8/5/2014 1:10:44 AMmessage detail
this was so useful. thanks for writing this guide.
---
Not changing this sig until a new Jet Set Radio game or JSRF remakes announced. Started 7/26/2014
Vita>WiiU>3DS>PS2>Xbox360>PS3
#428archidusPosted 9/15/2014 7:13:52 AMmessage detail
rthomas06 posted...

If you use a Power item and get an offspring with perfect Atk (for example) and the correct nature, for example, you might use the same parent with both high Atk and SpA and this offspring to advance to the next level, this time using a Destiny Knot. This time, you will have two parents with 31IVs in Atk, and one of them with 31 in SpA. The chances of having a baby, in this scenario, with the correct nature and max Atk and SpA are higher than the initial one...

But I myself wouldn't bother with that so much, because you will need the offspring of the first breed to be of the opposite gender as the parent with 2 max IVs... which sometimes might make you waste time.
In the end it's all a matter of preference, both 'paths' will require some time, and we never know which might take more.
I myself just ignore Power items and have always used the Knot...
---
NNID: Archibew ~~ Currently playing MH3U (Reks), MK 8
Waiting for Pokemon ORAS!
#429penpen99Posted 9/23/2014 8:10:17 AMmessage detail
As far as using the masuda method to breed shiny pokemon. I thought the odds where a lot better than that like 1/1000. I've noticed a lot of people tend to have them for them to be 5/8000 rare.
#430TridenTPosted 9/27/2014 7:17:20 PMmessage detail
A lot of people tending to have them says nothing to their rarity. I bred a shiny Skrelp all on my own, with only the Masuda method as my aide, and I'm STILL trading away Skrelp with 3+ perfect IVs that have Toxic Spikes on them because before I went for the shiny I bothered setting up some moderately good parents.

Just because you see many individual people with shinies doesn't mean each of those people doesn't have several boxes full of rejects.

And that is to say nothing of hackers.

But the difference is that in this gen, it's finally doable in a timely fashion. I bred mine casually over the course of a month, taking breaks to battle in the maison or train up teams to fight friends. No rush.
---
~TridenT~