This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

List of Questions, please help me out

#1Overd0sPosted 10/25/2013 1:07:43 AM
I have played Pokemon since Red and Blue (I know everyone says this), I loved Yellow and Gold was probably my favorite, I owned Saphire (it was ok to me), i then got back into Pokemon with Diamond and Platinum. Platinum is probably my favorite game, i skipped the White and Black generations completely, i wanted to play them, but i still own a DSi and have not upgraded.

This weekend, tomorrow morning maybe, i am going to buy a 3DS and maybe Y, not sure yet. Now that i am so out of the loop, how different is this game to Platinum?

My coworker just bought this and it's his first Pokemon game so i am not sure if IV's and EV's still work the same or whether or not they're still in the series.

Can i trade Pokemon from Heart Gold, Diamond, and Platinum to X and Y, i am fairly sure yes, but will i have to recapture them or will they be there in the Pokecenter?

How much longer until another game is introduced to this generation?

What's your favorite starter?

Which is better in your opinion; X or Y and why?

I think that's it for now, im going to go and try to find a list of pokemon exclusives for each to help decide which one to get too.
#2SuperRup91Posted 10/25/2013 1:15:39 AM
1. gameplay-wise there is very little in regards to mechanical changes between gen IV and VI. Just look up mega evolutions and hidden abilities.

2. EVs and IVs are still in the game and work much the same way. They are, however more accessible. EVs are able to be acquired through mini games called Super Training and the game keeps track of your EV distribution on the bottom screen. IVs are easier to breed thanks to the Destiny knot, but that really is nothing you need to worry about until you want to get into competitive battling.

3. you need to trade Gen IV pokemon to Gen V before you can transfer over to Gen VI. The app that allows for transfers to happen to Gen VI isn't available till December, however.

4. These games just came out. There is no word of a new game, and probably won't be for a while

5. Froakie

6. Uhhh...Y, I guess. They are pretty much the same except for a few exclusives.
---
3DS Friend Code: 5413-0006-7792
PM me so I can add you as well!
#3MarikofKrosaPosted 10/25/2013 1:19:17 AM
IVs and EVs are there, mostly the same, easier to get now.

All starters are good this gen, at least in game. Fennekin was my favorite, but Froakie's final form seems to be the competitive favorite.

We don't know if or when the next game in this gen will be released.

I slightly prefer X over Y as far as exclusives go.
---
I am the prince of all Krosans! What are you?
#4Kromlech06Posted 10/25/2013 1:20:05 AM
1. It's a core pokemon game. Still 8 badges, still 4 E4 members, still all that rigmarole. That said, it fixes a lot of problems the old games had, like grinding, poor level up moves for crappy pokemon, and even before the 2nd badge there's about 100 different pokemon to collect (not necessarily new ones, mind you).

2. EV's and IV's are the same as they were in 4th gen, but they made it much easier to EV train with super training and horde battles. IV breeding is also made easier with Destiny Knot and the Friend Safari.

3. Pokemon Bank is a paid service app on the 3ds for storing pokemon in a cloud. It comes out at the end of December. It will also come with a transfer app that will allow you to move pokemon from BW and BW2 to X and Y. It is a one way transfer. The service comes with a 30 day free trial, enough time to transfer your pokes.

4.Nobody knows how much longer till Z, RS remakes, Sequels, or whatever else they have planned. This game has a very strong online content portion, so playing when it's still new and popular is best.

5. Chespin, of the 3 from 6th gen. Most like Froakie.

6. X, for Mega Tyranitar without needing to trade for his mega stone.

7. The exclusive pokemon barely matter thanks to GTS and wonder trade. The exclusive items are a different story.
---
3DS FC: 2277-6801-3957
PM and I'll add you too. You know you want Water Absorb Maractus.
#5Overd0s(Topic Creator)Posted 10/25/2013 1:22:55 AM
SuperRup91 posted...
1. gameplay-wise there is very little in regards to mechanical changes between gen IV and VI. Just look up mega evolutions and hidden abilities.

2. EVs and IVs are still in the game and work much the same way. They are, however more accessible. EVs are able to be acquired through mini games called Super Training and the game keeps track of your EV distribution on the bottom screen. IVs are easier to breed thanks to the Destiny knot, but that really is nothing you need to worry about until you want to get into competitive battling.

3. you need to trade Gen IV pokemon to Gen V before you can transfer over to Gen VI. The app that allows for transfers to happen to Gen VI isn't available till December, however.

4. These games just came out. There is no word of a new game, and probably won't be for a while

5. Froakie

6. Uhhh...Y, I guess. They are pretty much the same except for a few exclusives.

Ok cool, seems similar, and yeah, i was really into the competitive portion, kind of wish the EV's werent so accessible considering it was once challenging and gave an elitist feeling when you learned it lol

so i will have to basically buy white or black to be able to trade up? lol, that sucks but i will do it. I know i will miss my old parties, i think in Platinum i had about 3 or more teams i really enjoyed, even made a few themed ones based on eeveelutions, ground/other type mixes, etc

Missing my Garchomp, Torterra, Vaporeon, Leafeon, Glaceon, Gyrados, Infernape, and a few others
#6CharizardFirePosted 10/25/2013 1:28:39 AM
1. Hidden Abilities, Mega Evolutions, and the new Fairy type have all altered the game from how it was in Platinum.

2. EVs and IVs are still in, and they are easier to deal witth now.

3. You'll have to transfer your Pokémon to Black, White, Black 2, or White 2 first. Then you'll have to wait until December 27th for the Pokémon Bank to open up.

4. No word of a new game, but that's to be expected 2 weeks after the release of the most recent game.

5. Fennekin

6. For the most part, they are pretty much the same except for a few version exclusives.

These are the version exclusives: http://www.serebii.net/xy/exclusives.shtml
---
http://i458.photobucket.com/albums/qq303/CharizardFire6/Char-Brawl.gif
#7Overd0s(Topic Creator)Posted 10/25/2013 4:09:44 AM
Kromlech06 posted...
1. It's a core pokemon game. Still 8 badges, still 4 E4 members, still all that rigmarole. That said, it fixes a lot of problems the old games had, like grinding, poor level up moves for crappy pokemon, and even before the 2nd badge there's about 100 different pokemon to collect (not necessarily new ones, mind you).

2. EV's and IV's are the same as they were in 4th gen, but they made it much easier to EV train with super training and horde battles. IV breeding is also made easier with Destiny Knot and the Friend Safari.

3. Pokemon Bank is a paid service app on the 3ds for storing pokemon in a cloud. It comes out at the end of December. It will also come with a transfer app that will allow you to move pokemon from BW and BW2 to X and Y. It is a one way transfer. The service comes with a 30 day free trial, enough time to transfer your pokes.

4.Nobody knows how much longer till Z, RS remakes, Sequels, or whatever else they have planned. This game has a very strong online content portion, so playing when it's still new and popular is best.

5. Chespin, of the 3 from 6th gen. Most like Froakie.

6. X, for Mega Tyranitar without needing to trade for his mega stone.

7. The exclusive pokemon barely matter thanks to GTS and wonder trade. The exclusive items are a different story.

The Stone can only be acquired in X? I have Tyranitar on Platinum and Diamond
#8ultratspinPosted 10/25/2013 4:12:06 AM
Overd0s posted...
Platinum is probably my favorite game

mine too! it never gets enough credit
---
3ds 0387-8800-5557 linoone from kennelly, an all birds town :)
#9Ansem_the_evilPosted 10/25/2013 4:23:58 AM
Black and white and black and white 2 are ds games so they can be played on the ds and dsi too
---
My 3DS FC: 1332-7692-1950
AC: New Leaf dream code: 7200-2427-9939