This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Okay, am I just unlucky, or am I doing something wrong here? [Breeding]

#11kenneticPosted 10/25/2013 1:42:55 PM
IkedaTeramusa posted...
Would it not be best in the end to have?
OOOXOO
OOOXOO

You'd want them to be grabbing those as much as possible for your 6 IV's wouldn't you because the 6th is random ANYWAYS?

Yes, I didnt say my example was the best, just an example of what to expect down the line and how the odds change. WIth the spread you gave you have a 1/6 chance of the pokemon you want (not counting gender/abilities).

I guess I COULD list all the possible odds....
---
3DS FC: 0817 - 3842 - 9105
If you have Pokemon X/Y pm me yur FC ^^b
#12DaniccoPosted 10/25/2013 1:44:23 PM
When you breed two pokemon, 3 IVs will be choosen from the parents and inherited.
Using the Destiny Knot increases the number 3 to 5 to be inherited.

So even if you do have 6 perfect IVs with both, there's no guarantee it'll choose the perfect IVs for BOTH.

For example, let's say your baby will inherit all stats but ATK.
Whose HP will he inherit from? You have 50% of getting a perfect one here (since only 1 parent has it perfect).
Whose DEF will he inherit from? Again, 50% chance.

Etc

The faster way to breed would be to pick Dittos with a perfect IV in a stat your other parent also has maxed, so you'll generate babies who'll become parents BOTH with perfect IV in that particular stat.
So if you can get your 3 perfect IV Male X breed with a Ditto (use power items, or Destiny Knot and get lucky) and get a new 3 IV perfect Female X who stats overlap with the male one, there's a high chance you'll get those stats inherited.

With this you have very high chances of getting new babies with perfect HP and ATK since both parents have it, and by this time you need to get lucky and achieve a new perfect IV in another stat. Once you do, use this new one as parent, and now you got even more chances of inheriting that stat until you DO get a new baby, of the opposite gender, with that perfect stat.
By then you should have 2 babies of each gender with 3~4 perfect IVs. Repeat until 5, eventually 6.

You can do the way you're doing, but you'll need to be lucky for all 5 stats to be chosen correctly (from the perfect parents), and that might take one egg... or 200.
This way I just explained is a more guaranteed way, takes more work, but rely less on luck.

Also, by using the Destiny Knot when both parents don't have the same perfect IV on each stat is... really pushing your luck imo.
Because you're locking your babies into the non-perfect stat of a parent instead of getting a new one.

Let's see, if my probability math is right, you should have...

50% of getting the right HP (total: 50%)
50% of getting the right ATK (total: 25%)
50% of getting the right DEF (total: 12.5%)
50% of getting the right SPATK (total: 6.25%)
50% of getting the right SPDEF (total: 3.125%)
50% of getting the right SPD (total: 1.5625%)

Oh man... good luck!
---
FC: 2552-1500-0922
Pokemon X, Trainer Name: Mimi
#13IkedaTeramusaPosted 10/25/2013 1:45:23 PM
No no.. I was just making sure.

I learn something new every day and if I was doing it wrong.. then I'd LOVE to fix it as I've spent HOURS/DAYS on this damned Froggy's... trying to perfect it.
---
FC: 4081-5499-1094
#14kenneticPosted 10/25/2013 1:49:03 PM
Danicco posted...

Let's see, if my probability math is right, you should have...

50% of getting the right HP (total: 50%)
50% of getting the right ATK (total: 25%)
50% of getting the right DEF (total: 12.5%)
50% of getting the right SPATK (total: 6.25%)
50% of getting the right SPDEF (total: 3.125%)
50% of getting the right SPD (total: 1.5625%)

Oh man... good luck!

Yur close.

The 6th stat will NEVER be from the parents. The knot only guarantees 5 (without the knot only 3).

So once you have the odds of 5 stats being chosen, 3.125%, you then have a 1/6 chance of the missing stat being a useless one. OR you can PRAY the skipped stat gets 0.0325/(1/32) and ends up perfect on its own.
---
3DS FC: 0817 - 3842 - 9105
If you have Pokemon X/Y pm me yur FC ^^b
#15ArgentumVir(Topic Creator)Posted 10/25/2013 6:03:08 PM
Dammit, six hours later, and over 100 eggs, none of them have an 4th maxed IV. Guess it's time to pick the overlapping stat option with one end holding the Destiny Knot and a power item.
---
Check my FictionPress: http://www.fictionpress.com/u/882728/
I love Rias Gremory.