This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why does poison=evil in Pokemon? *mild spoilers*

#1dolphinmagePosted 10/26/2013 3:41:00 PM
I've just gotten past the Power Plant, and having fought the hoards of poison and dark Pokémon used by Team Flare, it got me wondering why the evil teams always seem to use poison Pokémon. It's especially weird for Team Flare b/c they are so fixated with beauty and appearances that I would think they would only use beautiful Pokémon like Furfrou and Milotic.

Why doesn't Game Freak give the villains more variety for their Pokémon teams, or a least have their Pokémon fit their villain creed?
#2Dark Young LinkPosted 10/26/2013 3:41:56 PM
Well poisoning people isn't very nice...
---
I'm not at liberty to discuss things involving random users I've never heard of. Sorry . :) - Allen's wife, speaking about Luster
3DS FC : 3926-5549-8616
#3seth_sage12300Posted 10/26/2013 3:42:24 PM
Well, it's fairly easy to associate poison with evil activities, is likely why. It's not like there are very many beneficial and kind uses of poison.
---
Official member of the Omastar Club.
Official Gen 6 First Route Generic Bird of the Pokemon X/Y boards
#4tabby3Posted 10/26/2013 3:42:27 PM
Poison is a rather pesky satus effect, on it's own...

And I agree...I would of expected Milotic and Furfrou and Arcanine and such from Team Flare...
---
Pokemon x FC:1805-2783-5752 Pokemon trainer name: Emily
#5gamingsmylifePosted 10/26/2013 3:43:06 PM
The poison is a metaphor for corruption.
---
This message was brought to you courtesy of your retinas.
#6panda360Posted 10/26/2013 3:45:40 PM
Also, when I think of poison I think of a slow and painful way to die.

Truth be told, I quite like the poison types. Not my favourite of the Pokemon, but they aren't the worst.
#7skaz9000Posted 10/26/2013 3:46:53 PM
*looks at Bulbasaur, Oddish, Nidoran* Hmm, they don't look so evil to me. In fact, even ones like Muk and Weezing don't look very evil, but rather ... just the result of circumstance ...
#8dolphinmage(Topic Creator)Posted 10/26/2013 3:47:52 PM
seth_sage12300 posted...
Well, it's fairly easy to associate poison with evil activities, is likely why. It's not like there are very many beneficial and kind uses of poison.

Maybe, but a lot of the other types could be associated with negative things as well. It just feels a little uninspired to always have the villains sporting poison Pokémon.
#9LightningHawk90Posted 10/26/2013 3:48:50 PM
Poison types are so misunderstood. I'm sure Grimer wants nothing more than a hug.
---
Formerly RageKaiser.
I've decided to breed hundreds of Goomy, name them "The Messiah" and send them over wondertrade.
#10dolphinmage(Topic Creator)Posted 10/26/2013 6:13:02 PM
skaz9000 posted...
*looks at Bulbasaur, Oddish, Nidoran* Hmm, they don't look so evil to me. In fact, even ones like Muk and Weezing don't look very evil, but rather ... just the result of circumstance ...

Exactly. There's really no reason to focus so much on poison types for villainous characters. Dark Pokémon are also the go-to type for Team Flare, which is a little strange to me. Since they are Team Flare shouldn't they be using fire types?