This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Am I the only one who views all my Pokemon as being "male"?

#31NinjaluverPosted 10/26/2013 8:14:43 PM
Nordini posted...
AngelPeach posted...

I see it more as a cloak than a dress, but I never said Mega Gardevoir. I just said Gardevoir.

Again, I understand the misconception, but think about how most people draw Gardevoir in fanart. It seems to be assumed all Gardeoir are female. And yet, the way Gardevoir is depicted in fanart doesn't even come close to the official art, where the face isn't feminine and there are no feminine features.

And I know I'm in the minority, but I see it more as a cloak than a dress, but I see why people say otherwise.

Really not trying to argue, I respect your opinion (hence why I made a poll asking for opinions), but
Food for thought:

1. It is worthy to note that Ralts has two final forms. Gallade has a distinctly male seeming appearance and Gardevoir has a distinctly female seeming appearance. It would make sense that they intended for Gardevoir to be a sort of "female" counterpart to Gallade.

2. Mega Gardevoir is definitely supposed to mimic the image of a "dress" and dresses are intended to be a female item of clothing. You may say "I see it more as a cloak", but then I would ask you, what kind of cloak has that "bell"-shaped bubble curve at the bottom? Is that not the distinct characteristic of a gown?

3. Let's say you disagree with the physical appearance of Gallade and Gardevoir in respect to them looking female or male. Then look at the types of these pokemon.
Gallade is fighting.
Gardevoir is fairy
Can we not all agree that fairy is a typically feminine concept and "fighting" is a rather masculine concept?

Some valid points were made here.
#32d_charizardPosted 10/26/2013 8:15:00 PM
Xernias doesn't look at all feminine to me. (To the point that Yveltal looks a little closer to female to me.) And plenty, like Slurpuff and Mr. Mime are very gender-neutral. Also, Mienshao isn't really "masculine", though not too feminine either. And things like Breloom and Heracross are rather neutral.
#33Nordini(Topic Creator)Posted 10/26/2013 8:16:31 PM
d_charizard posted...
Xernias doesn't look at all feminine to me. (To the point that Yveltal looks a little closer to female to me.) And plenty, like Slurpuff and Mr. Mime are very gender-neutral. Also, Mienshao isn't really "masculine", though not too feminine either. And things like Breloom and Heracross are rather neutral.

What? Mr. Mime is gender-neutral to you? His name is MISTER Mime. His title literally dictates that he is male.
---
Gentlemen understand that embezzlement, insider trading, tax fraud, and similar activities are not crimes. Crimes are committed by poor people and involve guns.
#34legitgamer405Posted 10/26/2013 8:17:17 PM
For "feminine" Pokemon, I usually prefer them as females... Because it's weird to see a male Sylveon, Jigglypuff, or Gardevoir. For "masculine" Pokemon I usually prefer them as male, but it doesn't matter to me if they're female. I'm thinking about SRing for a female Lucario so my Froakie won't be the only female lol. I have a male Sylveon which seems weird to me but oh well.
---
3DS FC: 1564-2580-9641. PM me if you wanna add me. :) Let's trade/battle!
Official Arceus of the Pokemon X and Y Boards!
#35d_charizardPosted 10/26/2013 8:20:52 PM
Its name is only Mr. Mime in the ENGLISH games. And this is based on APPEARANCE. The name and other factors is irrelevant. I'll point out that I also don't find Hitmontop masculine despite being male-only. ;p
#36Oak_TeaPosted 10/26/2013 8:26:46 PM
I give my Pokemon nicknames based on their gender. If it's a generally male or female Pokemon of the opposite gender, I'll give them a suitably awkward nickname.

A Mr. Mime might be Mrs. Mime. A Machamp could be "Bra" (and yes, she lifts). A Male Lopunny would be called Bridgett or Trap/Trappy.

I understand if nobody wants to trade with me now. =(
---
Now playing: Pokemon X
#37Nordini(Topic Creator)Posted 10/27/2013 12:55:12 PM
d_charizard posted...
Its name is only Mr. Mime in the ENGLISH games. And this is based on APPEARANCE. The name and other factors is irrelevant. I'll point out that I also don't find Hitmontop masculine despite being male-only. ;p

They gave him the name Mr. Mime because his APPEARANCE indicates that he is male.
---
Gentlemen understand that embezzlement, insider trading, tax fraud, and similar activities are not crimes. Crimes are committed by poor people and involve guns.